Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got some plastic here that is about 1/4" thick and twice as tough as bucket plastic, we used to cut strips and attach them to snowmobile front runners, lasts well on gravel and bare pavement.

Sounds like nylon wear bar.......have used a lot of that for various heavy duty friction relief tasks.....good stuff indeed, however it is spendy......bucket plastic 'bout as cheep as it gets!!!!

Trailer pads came in yesterday, tyres "out for delivery" on the Brown truck today.........looks like tyme for me to learn to use "The Old Fella's" new tyre machine!!!! Four trailer tyres be good practice!!!
Mounted these 13" load range D's with soap and two long bars....do not want to get spoiled.

Sounds like nylon wear bar.......have used a lot of that for various heavy duty friction relief tasks.....good stuff indeed, however it is spendy......bucket plastic 'bout as cheep as it gets!!!!

Could be, got a sheet once for free, being tossed from a research facility I was working on an addition to, free stuff followed me home and I find uses for it. Made a few skid pan protectors for ATV`s from it as well, tough **** it is, wear better than steel.

Yep it is tough......first time I used it was about 30 yrs ago.....used 6" long by 1 1/2" strips as corner glides on a wood elevator I built from scratch in a house we were building. The car was made of 1 1/2 angle iron and flat stock....2' wide, 2' deep and 4' tall, inside lined with 5/4" white oak to match the cabinetry where it arrived on the first floor. Was pretty heavy light but heavier loaded.....had to go back for the first call back in 28 yrs for repairs. Got a chance to inspect the whole job....wear bars looked essentially new......many trips up and down in 28 yrs...Doctor said he burned 5 cord/yr. When I designed the lift I had planned on a nice quiet chain hoist...like a Yale or Jet etc. but near the end the contractor and owner overrode me and bought this cheap rig which was basically a boat trailer cable winch converted at the factory to 110V.......POS.....I was displeased and had to completely redesign and rebuild my hoisting gantry......tried to 'splain that the redesign and rebuild eliminated any cost savings they thought they were getting.....as usual the ones with the $$$ won the argument......Guess what failed......and don't think for a minute that I didn't bring that up when I handed him my repair bill!!! That bill being just about twice what he paid for the hoist 28 yrs ago.......or about the same as quality chain hoist cost.....LOL!!

Yep it is tough......first time I used it was about 30 yrs ago.....used 6" long by 1 1/2" strips as corner glides on a wood elevator I built from scratch in a house we were building. The car was made of 1 1/2 angle iron and flat stock....2' wide, 2' deep and 4' tall, inside lined with 5/4" white oak to match the cabinetry where it arrived on the first floor. Was pretty heavy light but heavier loaded.....had to go back for the first call back in 28 yrs for repairs. Got a chance to inspect the whole job....wear bars looked essentially new......many trips up and down in 28 yrs...Doctor said he burned 5 cord/yr. When I designed the lift I had planned on a nice quiet chain hoist...like a Yale or Jet etc. but near the end the contractor and owner overrode me and bought this cheap rig which was basically a boat trailer cable winch converted at the factory to 110V.......POS.....I was displeased and had to completely redesign and rebuild my hoisting gantry......tried to 'splain that the redesign and rebuild eliminated any cost savings they thought they were getting.....as usual the ones with the $$$ won the argument......Guess what failed......and don't think for a minute that I didn't bring that up when I handed him my repair bill!!! That bill being just about twice what he paid for the hoist 28 yrs ago.......or about the same as quality chain hoist cost.....LOL!!
It happens.

I think it would work... seems to fit snugly.
2157cde0900ff548d63f1f8a3f9c1654.jpg

Looks like the town/ county will be delivering gravel for a couple days.

Yeah and this isn't the first time.....last washout exposed the old metal culvert....they replaced that with a larger plastic one but the culvert has never been the issue. A couple washouts ago I made a stone trough just above the uphill end to divert the water into the ditch, which worked excellent until the ditch/culvert froze up and then it rained hard and washed the drive way out........when they replaced the driveway end they dug my sluice out and replaced it with gravel so now it washes away at least once a year.......glad I have an upper driveway that we use more anyway.....such is life on the sidehill.....

Yeah and this isn't the first time.....last washout exposed the old metal culvert....they replaced that with a larger plastic one but the culvert has never been the issue. A couple washouts ago I made a stone trough just above the uphill end to divert the water into the ditch, which worked excellent until the ditch/culvert froze up and then it rained hard and washed the drive way out........when they replaced the driveway end they dug my sluice out and replaced it with gravel so now it washes away at least once a year.......glad I have an upper driveway that we use more anyway.....such is life on the sidehill.....

They are just now catching on to using the heavier crushed stone, 3 - 4" kind for diversion sluices. I mentioned it to the guy who is in charge of Highways maintenance here about 3 years back, was actually building him a set of new stairs at his home when the subject came up. We get a washout every big rain at the intersection here, well he used big stone as infill about a year back and guess what, it has survived intact for several heavy rains now. Now I see they use it at almost every wash out now all along the #7 hwy.

Back