Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True that is...….takes a lot of fore thought when doing projects to make sure you what and enough of what you'll need. Out on the island to get a little more of something or something you forgot or overlooked first requires a 10 mile water journey then a 30 mile road trip....so to get another half dozen 8' 2 X 4s it's a 20 mile water trip and 60 mile road trip......and that's assuming good weather.....bad weather means either you don't make the water trip or it's unpleasant at best and dangerous at the worst.
Yep every bit of usable space needs to be utilized.....the little camp I worked on last fall has a halfazzed loft of to short boards my father threw up there...... in the first load to the island this year will include enough 1 X 8" T&G to properly deck over that area. Was hoping for this weekend but now we got snow/rain, high winds and cold temps coming in tomorrow. Perhaps next weekend.....still waiting on them putting the floats in at the ramp...almost impossible to get over board with no place to tie up while you get the truck up off the ramp and off to the parking area about a half mile away.
I cheated a bit on the loft floor, used 2 sheets of Edge Gold instead of boards, made a good stiff floor over the 2X6`s, won`t be much weight up there just some of the lighter items.

Well.....Mikey an I got that tree down off the shop roof today!! Been puzzling on the method for a few daze..... Thought about cutting the limb off the stem but thought the weight of the stem of the limb would damage the very edge of the roofing metal. The butt of the limb was about 9" so there was some serious weight on the roof. Plus it would be dicy cutting it off the main trunk 18 feet in the air.
We discussed it for a bit and came up with a workable plan. I have a 50 fathom coil of 7/8 braided nylon anchor rhode and Mikey came up with an open snatch block so we ran the rhode out to a big spruce and chained the block to it, passed the line through the block and ran the other part back by the tree to the driveway where we hooked it to the little tractor on good flat hard packed dirt......took a good strain and Mikey took the venerable original ported 49SP equipped with a brandy new RS chain and let 'er rip while I eased ahead........it dropped perfectly where wee intended which pulled the limb off the roof in a straight line so as not to damage the standing seams. As it went down the roof it was supported on the smaller branches so when it went off the edge it damaged nothing. When all was said and done there looks to be a small dent in the vented ridge but other than that I could not see and any other damage!! WOOT!

IMG_0933.jpgIMG_0934.jpgIMG_0935.jpg

Well.....Mikey an I got that tree down off the shop roof today!! Been puzzling on the method for a few daze..... Thought about cutting the limb off the stem but thought the weight of the stem of the limb would damage the very edge of the roofing metal. The butt of the limb was about 9" so there was some serious weight on the roof. Plus it would be dicy cutting it off the main trunk 18 feet in the air.
We discussed it for a bit and came up with a workable plan. I have a 50 fathom coil of 7/8 braided nylon anchor rhode and Mikey came up with an open snatch block so we ran the rhode out to a big spruce and chained the block to it, passed the line through the block and ran the other part back by the tree to the driveway where we hooked it to the little tractor on good flat hard packed dirt......took a good strain and Mikey took the venerable original ported 49SP equipped with a brandy new RS chain and let 'er rip while I eased ahead........it dropped perfectly where wee intended which pulled the limb off the roof in a straight line so as not to damage the standing seams. As it went down the roof it was supported on the smaller branches so when it went off the edge it damaged nothing. When all was said and done there looks to be a small dent in the vented ridge but other than that I could not see and any other damage!! WOOT!

View attachment 826242View attachment 826243View attachment 826244
Job well done, many diff ways to do that removal, may as well do it the easiest one.

Seems the bride videoed our little gravity defying operation...….it took two sets as it got hinge bound on the first try and I ran out of room in the driveway to continue pulling so we reset shorter and more direct the second time...got a good pull and ovah she went...

Attachments

• IMG_0876.MOV
    61 MB
Seems the bride videoed our little gravity defying operation...….it took two sets as it got hinge bound on the first try and I ran out of room in the driveway to continue pulling so we reset shorter and more direct the second time...got a good pull and ovah she went...
Thanks for the vid.

Thanks for the vid.
Yeah Mikey was a tad skittish with that widowmaker right over his head.....he was moving every time the tree started moving!!! Wish the Bride had got the vid from the side s you could see that big limb slide straight down the roof!! We dropped the stem so the part that was on the roof came straight down the pitch without changing direction and bending the standing seams....for once everything went exactly as planned!!

IMG_0884.jpgIMG_0885.jpg

I used to go out on removals from roofs of all types of buildings, climbed a lot of them but enjoyed lifting them off with a big boom truck we had at our disposal. Dad taught me a lot about dropping trees in the forest, I learned how to climb, top trees and hazard removal on my own. Roping down tree parts was a learning curve, especially when the weigh more than my ground man.

I see an issue .... it looks like she is going to be officing at home.
Yep she will......but that's OK. Just hung a brandy new doug fir 5 panel door on that room that seperates the old living room from the kitchen. It was always just a passageway before. What was the old front door will now be the entrance to her office......that is assuming people will be allowed to go anywhere eventually.
But this brings us to another point......this being one of the main reasons I have my shop in a different place!! I'm pretty well set up over there....fridge...nice antique bar...interwebs...heat...all good!! I spend a lot more tyme there than here. Then there is the fact she doesn't have to pay rent on another office and we get to write off a percentage of house expences and the repairs/upgrades going on now. There are some advantages to having an in-house accountant!!

I like the offset of your till Robin. I have been shopping a new tiller for my tractor...track width of 49". Just a 6" offset would ensure a nice cut out on one side.

Yep that works good......hand crank moves it back and forth. Centered is OK for breaking ground but once tilled the tires pack the dirt down so the tiller skids can't sink in.....off set it all the way like in the pic and the skids are in soft ground, clear of the wheel tacks and you can go deep. I've had that tiller 20 years or better....bought it used after borrowing a front tine rig from the brides grandfather....took a half day to get it running properly then two 4 hr sessions taking a beating from that POS......you'da thought I'd a known by my mid 40's what was 'spose to have handlebars and what wasn't!!! Brought that Howard home in the back of muh ton truck.....including mounting it on the three point for the first time AND tilling the entire garden took about 35 minutes......I doo get a little pain in muh neck from looking back and watching it work......but I've found that a tall green can just before tilling and a 'nuther just after takes right care of it......just part of the cost of doing business!!!

The HR 6 is considered a 48" tiller..

Latest posts

Back