Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing is the tide is high in that pic.....when the water goes away the harbor loses width by probably over 60% and where the boats are there is only about 4-5 feet of depth. My skiff on the outhaul is only about 10 feet from the beach at low tide......can't remember how many sail boats have anchored about where the bigger black boat is and the folks gone ashore hiking only to come back and find their beautiful $300,000.00 + sailboat is laying on it's side........sadly the reason I placed my mooring where I did was that it was not a proper place to anchor for larger vessels so I thought I could be left alone.......
Also to give some definition as to distance and relationships.......the distance from my mooring buoy to the bow of my boat is 20' as that is the length of my double braid pendant.......
Still can’t fix stupid

So.......dug the raw water pump off the 4.3 on the Seaway.......was not quite as bad as I had been dreading. New rebuilt pump should arrive tomorrow.
Everything is fine on my backing plate and hoses etc. so should go right back together without issue......didn't do the usual thing of breaking something else while trying to fix what I was there for.......LOL!! Few pics.....You can where it was leaking......266 hours on the whole installation...

IMG_1007.jpgIMG_1008.jpgIMG_1009.jpg

So.......dug the raw water pump off the 4.3 on the Seaway.......was not quite as bad as I had been dreading. New rebuilt pump should arrive tomorrow.
Everything is fine on my backing plate and hoses etc. so should go right back together without issue......didn't do the usual thing of breaking something else while trying to fix what I was there for.......LOL!! Few pics.....You can where it was leaking......266 hours on the whole installation...

View attachment 841438View attachment 841439View attachment 841440
Three impeller fingers running in reverse?

Looks that way doesn't it? Never been apart since new.......? Will run it though a complete revolution tomorrow and if it remains the same....

When I got the Bayliner it had a similar problem, the pump had been run backward. The engine had a starting problem where it would kick backward, timing was too far advanced. I corrected that and reinstalled the impeller, check it every spring and it stays properly orientated. I fixed many outboards where the impeller fingers got reversed when someone turned the prop over backward when the driveshaft/gearcase was engaged.

When I got the Bayliner it had a similar problem, the pump had been run backward. The engine had a starting problem where it would kick backward, timing was too far advanced. I corrected that and reinstalled the impeller, check it every spring and it stays properly orientated. I fixed many outboards where the impeller fingers got reversed when someone turned the prop over backward when the driveshaft/gearcase was engaged.
Yep that's a no-no but does happen a lot! Can't say this has been ever spun the wrong way but might have been caught with some salt water ice in it when started once.....
That rust on the back of the pulley must be from the bearings........those are the only thing in the pump that's stihl......stainless shaft and bronze pump body.....

Yep that's a no-no but does happen a lot! Can't say this has been ever spun the wrong way but might have been caught with some salt water ice in it when started once.....
That rust on the back of the pulley must be from the bearings........those are the only thing in the pump that's stihl......stainless shaft and bronze pump body.....

Yep, the bearing would be hardened steel, balls and races. Once the seal fails the bearings won`t last long.

Went out and rotated the pump through and the fingers straightened them selves out.....not sure how it got the way it was. Musta got rotated when removing the pump from the engine. Had quite a struggle getting the large hoses loose.....might have reversed the pulley then. Funny though it takes quite a bit of effort to move it.....have to pay closer attention when doing the install.

On the Bayliner pump they would just slide around in the reversed position so I bought a whole new pump, still running that one. When I bought another complete outdrive a couple summers back it came with a milkcrate of NOS parts including another new pump and a good used one, plus seven complete OMC gaskets sets. Should be good for a while.

I ain't messin' around!
569a40ecb0c638c0fef78383e51c8caa.jpg

New raw water pump front half finally arrived day before yesterday so I put the pump together last night and struggled it back on the 4.3 and a struggle it was!!! But it is on there now.....gotta shoot a bit of black paint on my power steering pump as the salt water took the paint away.....do that this morning before work and hose her up tonight for a test run.

The fun nevah ends out here! Another parking lot farmer....... not another boat in the entire harbor and he insists on anchoring practically right on top of me. I gave him hell and told him to either anchor up inside of me or further out the harbor. Nope no ears.... instead of moving he has put out four anchors....two fore and two aft....sweet Jesus..... I m gonna make a store run by boat in a bit..... may do a few high speed doughnuts around him when I get back and if 2C44067B-118E-4EF4-88BF-62F26D91066D.jpegthat irritates him I’ll just say “See.... told ya not to anchor there”

Boy gotta say that 3M panel bond adhesive is freekkin' awesome....it really is....whole new take on body work repair.....spendy but well worth it...no warpage from welding...….a lot like JB weld in a dual chalking gun.....hard as flint...sands well and like a lot of glues it's stronger than the tin it adheres to.....
Nice to know! Fantastic job!
Jump in ocean day!
Howdy Robin!
Stay well!
How's TBone?

The fun nevah ends out here! Another parking lot farmer....... not another boat in the entire harbor and he insists on anchoring practically right on top of me. I gave him hell and told him to either anchor up inside of me or further out the harbor. Nope no ears.... instead of moving he has put out four anchors....two fore and two aft....sweet Jesus..... I m gonna make a store run by boat in a bit..... may do a few high speed doughnuts around him when I get back and if View attachment 843304that irritates him I’ll just say “See.... told ya not to anchor there”
Got it down here now in Spades. Hide up in the ponds!

Back