Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep as much as I dislike 'em gutterz will be installed from here out......to many roofs emptying onto that north facing corner.....no sun and ALL the Northeastahz adding to the mix......

I put aluminum eavestrough on every building I have, extruded one piece if I can possibly get it there, home, camp storage sheds and even my woodhouse has it. Worked replacing rot for most of my life now, don`t want to do that on my own stuff.

Took all day Sunday with the Fein flush cut saw and $50.00 worth of blades but got just about all the rot cut out and back to solid wood. Gotta go in the new part of the cellar and cut the box sill back some yet and a little bit to cut out yet up near the top plate...then be ready to knit in 2 by PT bolted into the remaining wood with construction lag screws. Again here is where quality tools show their worth.....bought this Fein Tool......I don't know....20 years or more ago is a tringle pad sander when I was building staircases a lot but never was as happy with the finish it produced so it didn't get a lot of use for a handheld $500.00 tool. When flush cut tools became a thing Fein offered a conversion kit for the sander to be able to use the vast array of tooling now available. I have a small Milwaukee battery flush cut that does most little jobs but it would never have done this much work. The gearbox on the Fein got so hot as to be uncomfortable to hold onto several times but the tool never smelled hot or gave any trouble. A good tool is worth every penny spent on it if you actually NEED it to stand up to heavy usage....

Took all day Sunday with the Fein flush cut saw and $50.00 worth of blades but got just about all the rot cut out and back to solid wood. Gotta go in the new part of the cellar and cut the box sill back some yet and a little bit to cut out yet up near the top plate...then be ready to knit in 2 by PT bolted into the remaining wood with construction lag screws. Again here is where quality tools show their worth.....bought this Fein Tool......I don't know....20 years or more ago is a tringle pad sander when I was building staircases a lot but never was as happy with the finish it produced so it didn't get a lot of use for a handheld $500.00 tool. When flush cut tools became a thing Fein offered a conversion kit for the sander to be able to use the vast array of tooling now available. I have a small Milwaukee battery flush cut that does most little jobs but it would never have done this much work. The gearbox on the Fein got so hot as to be uncomfortable to hold onto several times but the tool never smelled hot or gave any trouble. A good tool is worth every penny spent on it if you actually NEED it to stand up to heavy usage....
So you are not saying, use Ryobi.....LOL

So you are not saying, use Ryobi.....LOL
LOL! Not really.........But I have two Ryobi tools that have been very high quality and have preformed flawlessly......however they are no homeowner tools. One is a blue 10" straight chop saw...no tilt.....bought it in 1985 and it has made me tens of thousands of dollars over the years with the only failure was the switch which had been cycled innumerable times. The other I bought in 1992 and it is a square chisel mortiser for timbers up to 8" wide....bought it to build post and beam houses and barns back when I ran the mill and did such work. Very nice tool which has never failed in any way and made mortises in the thousands.. Neat tool....it mounts on your beam with a tall cam lock lever and is on rollers to move it to the next mortise without having to lift it off the work........has 6" of linear travel by way of a tall lever and 6" of left to right travel by way of a crank wheel to adjust it exactly to where you need the mortises.....has a three spoke handwheel like a drill press to run the chisel up and down which also has 6" of travel. Not a cheap tool.....if I recall it was around $1,800.00 back then. The only fault I have with it is that it has a 15 amp universal brush motor like nearly all Japanese tools as is loud to run. Does an excellent job though......

Phew......damn hot and muggy ......to hot for on site copper mining yesterday. Stayed at the shop all day though it was 85 degrees inside....had fans running full tilt and aimed at my work space. Made copper panels and did all the needed tinning on the edges and laps. Was all caught up by lunch tyme so sat in my chair under the fans thinking how to best use the afternoon. Had a 562 that Edward left off that needed attention so I dealt with that. Then my 61/268XP has been down quite a while with a broked trigger. I know I had 4-5 new OEM triggers in stock but have gone on the hunt twice and came up short. A month or so ago I was looking on ebay and found and BIN add that was for 10 triggers delivered for $10.92.......chineze of course but I gave in and ordered them. So I dug out the saw, took it apart, cleaned everything well, installed the new twigger, and a new Oregon 3/8 X 8 pin rim and a new Stihl RC chain. Trigger fit perfect and held the throttle linkage tightly etc. To hot to start the thing up and do a wood test....perhaps this evening. May have to kit the carb.....if I remember right she was getting a little unstable if left idling to long last tyme I warmed it up good in the 8 cord pile.....been 7-8 years at least since I built the saw and rebuilt the carb.....probably tyme.....I'll see how it goes......Edward came by and picked up his 562 and left another one that his man said he blew up......it nevah ends.....EVAH!!!!

Phew......damn hot and muggy ......to hot for on site copper mining yesterday. Stayed at the shop all day though it was 85 degrees inside....had fans running full tilt and aimed at my work space. Made copper panels and did all the needed tinning on the edges and laps. Was all caught up by lunch tyme so sat in my chair under the fans thinking how to best use the afternoon. Had a 562 that Edward left off that needed attention so I dealt with that. Then my 61/268XP has been down quite a while with a broked trigger. I know I had 4-5 new OEM triggers in stock but have gone on the hunt twice and came up short. A month or so ago I was looking on ebay and found and BIN add that was for 10 triggers delivered for $10.92.......chineze of course but I gave in and ordered them. So I dug out the saw, took it apart, cleaned everything well, installed the new twigger, and a new Oregon 3/8 X 8 pin rim and a new Stihl RC chain. Trigger fit perfect and held the throttle linkage tightly etc. To hot to start the thing up and do a wood test....perhaps this evening. May have to kit the carb.....if I remember right she was getting a little unstable if left idling to long last tyme I warmed it up good in the 8 cord pile.....been 7-8 years at least since I built the saw and rebuilt the carb.....probably tyme.....I'll see how it goes......Edward came by and picked up his 562 and left another one that his man said he blew up......it nevah ends.....EVAH!!!!

LOL, I come home and find them sitting on the doorstep or deck, no name, no tel number, no idea what they want done. Set it in the to do pile and wait to get a call, far too often never get a call. Saws pile up.

LOL! Not really.........But I have two Ryobi tools that have been very high quality and have preformed flawlessly......however they are no homeowner tools. One is a blue 10" straight chop saw...no tilt.....bought it in 1985 and it has made me tens of thousands of dollars over the years with the only failure was the switch which had been cycled innumerable times. The other I bought in 1992 and it is a square chisel mortiser for timbers up to 8" wide....bought it to build post and beam houses and barns back when I ran the mill and did such work. Very nice tool which has never failed in any way and made mortises in the thousands.. Neat tool....it mounts on your beam with a tall cam lock lever and is on rollers to move it to the next mortise without having to lift it off the work........has 6" of linear travel by way of a tall lever and 6" of left to right travel by way of a crank wheel to adjust it exactly to where you need the mortises.....has a three spoke handwheel like a drill press to run the chisel up and down which also has 6" of travel. Not a cheap tool.....if I recall it was around $1,800.00 back then. The only fault I have with it is that it has a 15 amp universal brush motor like nearly all Japanese tools as is loud to run. Does an excellent job though......
I have a 15(15 1/2?)” miter Ryobi.......love it for bigger stuff.
just heavy to move around.

Back