Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing worth burning was the limbs.... the trunk was not much....sent some away on tide where it will bashed to bits on the ledges on the incoming gale tomorrow. Saved a couple rounds for a premade “Swedish Candle “ Bride says she may plant some flowers in the stump. Hate noodling that spruce because by the time you’ve worked up enough firewood to make it worthwhile you’ve created a hell of a pile of noodles!! A couple grocery bags stuffed full will last a long time when used as a fire starter. The rest has to go away somewhere. My heating requirements have gotten to the point where only a small amount of wood is actually needed per year. Used to have to burn everything in sight to stay warm this tyme of year but no need now. These two piles will last a long while....F014D01B-893F-43FB-AE12-1B5EA8E4FCE9.jpeg0669A4B5-9125-4600-B667-4559ABF8C5B5.jpeg

In my situation it's very hard to tell how much wood is required as things have changed a lot over the years. In a usual fall I burn a fair amount while doing projects but end up heating with the debris from the project which is invariably board ends and such. But the improvements I've made has reduced my wood consumption a tremendous amount. From full insulation and modern windows to an efficient wood burning device....every part makes a marked difference in consumption. Of course the amount of tyme spent there will affect the consumption accordingly...and that changes from year to year too. This year was a very short amount of tyme spent there. Just to much other **** going on.......no long fall project this fall though I did have one planned... This Thanksgiving we spent 5 daze there......had a fire the day we got there to drive out the damp and cold but let that go out over night and didn't re-kindle another until Friday night and let that go out too by bed tyme....burnt maybe two small arm loads of spruce in 5 daze.....gas fridge, solar gain and the bride cooking made the heat the rest of the tyme...was very mild too!!

We spent over 60 days there this season, over 30 in the first two months after ice out, was cold all thet time so Judy had a fire on full time. This fall we burned 10 nights and just a wee bit during the day. Still have one more trip planned and that will likely require a fire full time, just heat and use the front half, very easy to keep it warm.

We spent over 60 days there this season, over 30 in the first two months after ice out, was cold all thet time so Judy had a fire on full time. This fall we burned 10 nights and just a wee bit during the day. Still have one more trip planned and that will likely require a fire full time, just heat and use the front half, very easy to keep it warm.

Yeah I thought I/we would spend much more time there this year due to the pandemic but where I thought I'd not be very busy workwise turned out to be just the opposite and add to that the remodel of half of my own house and setting up an office space for Marcie's new business took away a lot of time. Did make some forward headway on the little camp on the island, getting the rest of the trim on and shingling the roof and managed to get the sill in on one side of it. Not a lot but forward motion. Didn't really keep track but more like 20-25 daze there this year......not like last year where I spent three-four weeks there in November/December alone!!! Coulda probably got another sill or two in over Thanksgiving this year if I hadn't had to deal with all these blowdowns and cleanup.....but I did get to run three saws!!!!

I knocked off a few things at the place this year also but it was fun stuff. Another 16' long interceptor drain was first, then erected a nice firewood shelter after getting all the siding and outside bits to the new storage shed done. Now its full of dry hardwood for future burning and I poured a concrete ramp from ground grade up to the storage shed roll up door. Last project was a powder room for the ladies, now ready for the plumbing, Judy and my daughter are pleased. Plan is to spread topsoil early in the spring and get the grass seed in and growing by early summer. All the other lil bits like putting in the floating dock and its ramps get as necessary, still have to get the big float up on the hard, waiting on a bit more rain to raise the lake level another 2', makes loading the dock on the cradle easier.

Happens to us all... so sad.
f2b30b75d0c7b5bb76a26d8ef2d51b8f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I knocked off a few things at the place this year also but it was fun stuff. Another 16' long interceptor drain was first, then erected a nice firewood shelter after getting all the siding and outside bits to the new storage shed done. Now its full of dry hardwood for future burning and I poured a concrete ramp from ground grade up to the storage shed roll up door. Last project was a powder room for the ladies, now ready for the plumbing, Judy and my daughter are pleased. Plan is to spread topsoil early in the spring and get the grass seed in and growing by early summer. All the other lil bits like putting in the floating dock and its ramps get as necessary, still have to get the big float up on the hard, waiting on a bit more rain to raise the lake level another 2', makes loading the dock on the cradle easier.
BUNCH OF PONDS AROUND HERE AS LOW AS 12'. LATEST RAIN HAS HELPED.

All water levels here are high
Been low here all season and late filling back up, the water gets colder every day and messing around getting the float out is a bit on the cold side. Some wading out to waist deep in it is only tolerable due to my insulated chest waders. The float is very heavy coming out of the water, think water logged from being in there since May til now.

Been low here all season and late filling back up, the water gets colder every day and messing around getting the float out is a bit on the cold side. Some wading out to waist deep in it is only tolerable due to my insulated chest waders. The float is very heavy coming out of the water, think water logged from being in there since May til now.
Son and I took dock out late October his waders leaked. He said we are going to do it in September from now on. I asked if it was cold. Lol

Son and I took dock out late October his waders leaked. He said we are going to do it in September from now on. I asked if it was cold. Lol
You would certainly know if the water was cold right now, my chest waders don`t leak as yet, rather new at just 3 years old, quite an expensive set made for real cold weather goose hunting over decoys on tidal waters.

Back