Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salt sure plays hell with steel.
Yep it sure does. Six new urethane cab and front clip mounts, new inner and outer rocker panels and cab corners on both sides will hold the salt off for a few more years hopefully. Damn rocker panels measured 0.80"..... take a bit longer to rot those away!!

Yep it sure does. Six new urethane cab and front clip mounts, new inner and outer rocker panels and cab corners on both sides will hold the salt off for a few more years hopefully. Damn rocker panels measured 0.80"..... take a bit longer to rot those away!!
I would have thought thicker steel would last longer when I first started out in the repair sector but I have seen 1/8" plate disintegrate in one year, depends on what is in the steel. Had check plate waste away just sitting outdoors not even near salt, bit of rain and plenty of condensation.

Spent most of the day in Bangor yesterday having a CT scan, an MRI and numerous X-Rays in preparation of the up coming shoulder replacement....not any of my favorite things.....but.....when I got back to the shop finally I found this had been delivered....another WOOT!!IMG_1274.jpgIMG_1272.jpgIMG_1273.jpg

Make some smooth surfaces with that.
Yep and a lot easier to change knives! Those cutters are solid carbide and have four cutting edges. Just rotate them 90 degrees when dull....self indexing...no adjustment needed....easy-peasy!! I'll likely never need to replace them..... They are supposed to run much quieter than straight knives and because they cut on a skew they are supposed to virtually eliminate any tearout on wild grained woods...

I would have thought thicker steel would last longer when I first started out in the repair sector but I have seen 1/8" plate disintegrate in one year, depends on what is in the steel. Had check plate waste away just sitting outdoors not even near salt, bit of rain and plenty of condensation.
These are painted inside and out and I made the inner rocker panels out of galvanized steel. (Old metal shower walls 1/16" thick) New cab corners were much thinner. However long they last they will likely outlast the rest of the truck.......this wasn't a "Restoration" but just a repair.....not worth the effort if you had to hire it done. But $30,000.00 for a decent used pick up is just something I can't see me doing.....

This tyme off from dollah chasing whilst letting the thumb recover has given me the much needed tyme to get back to my firewood hauler/boat tow-er project that had stalled for much of the last year. This old Chebby reminds me of a lobstah.....the old shell was shed and she just grew another new one! Just finished the drivers side yesterday. Gonna set the rear body back on today, install the fender flares and shim it as needed to get the body lines straight......then I'll separate them again so when I shoot the two part epoxy with kevlar bed liner on the bottom 10" or so up the sides I can get in around to the back of the cab and front of the body. Bed liner says it'll be here tomorrow so perhaps she'll be ready for the road again by the weekend!! WOOT!!!View attachment 883333View attachment 883334View attachment 883335View attachment 883336
LOL..LOOKS LIKE MY 2005 CHEVY.
NEED TO GET THOSE WHEEL WELL COVERS. RUST FORMS FROM THAT INSIDE LIP. WATER GETS INTO THE SEAM AND OXIDIZES ITS WAY OUT. I HAVE A SMALL RUST PATCH HAVE TO GET ON.
GOOD TRUCKS. WE PAID 11 GRAND FOR OURS. HAD ONLY 125,000 ON IT. BUT CHEVY DIDNT PUT ENOUGH CARBON IN THEIR STEEL IN THIS MODEL. FRAMES ARE NOTED FOR RUSTING OUT. MOTORS AND TRANNYS ARE GOOD THOUGH. WATCH YOUR STEEL BREAK LINES TOO. JUST HAD MINE REPLACED TO COPPER ZINC ONES. COST A GRAND! LOST THEM LAST WEEK COMING HOME FROM WORK. WAS A BIT HAIRY.

LOL..LOOKS LIKE MY 2005 CHEVY.
NEED TO GET THOSE WHEEL WELL COVERS. RUST FORMS FROM THAT INSIDE LIP. WATER GETS INTO THE SEAM AND OXIDIZES ITS WAY OUT. I HAVE A SMALL RUST PATCH HAVE TO GET ON.
GOOD TRUCKS. WE PAID 11 GRAND FOR OURS. HAD ONLY 125,000 ON IT. BUT CHEVY DIDNT PUT ENOUGH CARBON IN THEIR STEEL IN THIS MODEL. FRAMES ARE NOTED FOR RUSTING OUT. MOTORS AND TRANNYS ARE GOOD THOUGH. WATCH YOUR STEEL BREAK LINES TOO. JUST HAD MINE REPLACED TO COPPER ZINC ONES. COST A GRAND! LOST THEM LAST WEEK COMING HOME FROM WORK. WAS A BIT HAIRY.

Well Bobby.......that is the main reason I embarked on this project........I already rebuilt the frame with three new cross members etc. a couple years back. All my fluid lines are new......all Stainless to the new front calipers.....all copper nickel to the new rear wheel cyls.....new front wheel bearings/hubs, new rotors, drums, shoes spring kits etc. New fuel pump and new fuel lines all the way to the engine. New trans cooling lines all around when replaced the trans after blowing it when towing my boat due to rusted out lines. All rubber brake hoses new too....had quite a time investment in it so it only made sense to rebuild the tin work....not a restoration...a repair...this is the same truck I brought down the Leeha's GTG a few years back.

So took a ride towards 'Nadia today......to Machias in fact to see my thumb doc......has was impressed......said I could try starting a saw now!!!! WOOT!! Stihl got 3-4 cord of the 8 cord pile needs bucking. Sometime ovah the weekend I'll give it a shot with the 61/268XP conversion ...gotts **** ta doo!!!

The bride and I took a little side trip down to Machiasport after the doc visit......went to a place I never been before call Jasper Beach.....freekin awesome....but I'm so used to our shoreline being covered in lost fishing gear, wood and seaweed and other **** at the tide line......this was a big beach and literally nothing or not much at all brought in by the ocean. Took a few pics......first is about mid beach looking in both directions.......remember this is a SAND beach here......IMG_1276.jpgIMG_1277.jpg

I did find one piece of debris that was once a 3' or 4' metal lobsta trap......down here there are likely one of these every 20 feet on any beach along with buoys and toggles...large knots of of warp from different traps all up on the beach.......plus bleach bottles, oil bottles and any other type of aquatic litter. I found all this stunning as this is the mouth of the Machias River and also get debris from the Bay of Fundy....... not even any drift wood.......WTF?......

IMG_1287.jpg

Was an awesome place but felt ovahwatched by big brother.........The Down East shoreline is a place of very large governmental "Ovah The Horizon" communications installations ........there is one right at the beach. Right beyond that tree line is a prison......the Downeast "Correctional" facility.......in case you might need correcting....damn pretty place to be "Rehabilitated"...LOL!!

IMG_1284.jpgIMG_1278.jpg

Was an awesome place but felt ovahwatched by big brother.........The Down East shoreline is a place of very large governmental "Ovah The Horizon" communications installations ........there is one right at the beach. Right beyond that tree line is a prison......the Downeast "Correctional" facility.......in case you might need correcting....damn pretty place to be "Rehabilitated"...LOL!!

View attachment 884172View attachment 884175
Real nice pics Robin, fine stone beach much like ours here,
Two weekends back I walked about 2 miles of stone beach like that one in your pic, in that two miles I would not see enough man made debris of any kind that would even fill a small garden wheelbarrow. Much like you I found one beat to death green wire lobstertrap, no rope or bouys. Came across one smooth tree trunk and one 6"X6"X12' pressure treated timber, rest of the beach was clean as I have ever seen it. Didn`t think to take pics and it was quie cold with a stiff NW breeze keeping my hnds inside gloves, toque down over ears and my hood up on my down heavy jacket.

I was uncommonly nice out yesterday...considering it is near the end of Jan......light north breeze but I was in just a long sleeved shirt and insulated vest....no hat....but was still comfortable.

The sea can get angry here too.......the last pics show a near break through of the natural seawall!

IMG_1279.jpgIMG_1283.jpgIMG_1288.jpgIMG_1291.jpg

We are losing many of our stone beach seawalls that had fresh water lakes behind them every couple of years when a big storm blows through the seawalls have been breached. We were up to our Bay of Fundy property a couple months ago and the beach at Portipique was washed through to a large meadow that had been isolated from the Fundy waters ever since I was visiting that area, more then 50 years. The storm surges are getting higher all the time, out on the island where we used to hold the Steeroast 50 - 75' of the coastline headland has been lost,swept into the sea over the last couple of years but the inner harbor has been nearly choked up with sand. The channel by the island used to be about 350' wide but is now about 75' wide and just deep enough for a cape boat to cross at low tide so about 10' of water at high tide. First time I anchored there many years ago there was over 30' from surface to bottom.

Seen one nearly picture perfect at Silver Sands beach couple weeks ago, sea had gouged out the same valley and washed the stone removed back into the pond behind. If the sea level keeps rising and the storms heavy surf will eventually wash through. We are building homes in the area a 1/4 mile inland from the beach. A ll beachstone back there once the top 6" or so of clay is removed.

I was uncommonly nice out yesterday...considering it is near the end of Jan......light north breeze but I was in just a long sleeved shirt and insulated vest....no hat....but was still comfortable.

The sea can get angry here too.......the last pics show a near break through of the natural seawall!

View attachment 884240View attachment 884241View attachment 884242View attachment 884243
BEAUTIFUL PICTURES ROBIN. THANK YOU. BEEN MANY YEARS SINCE I HAVE SEEN THAT COAST. REMEMBER SOUTH PORTLAND HAD THOUSE LONG THIN ROCKS.
THIS WINTER DOWN HERE TOO HAS BEEN EXCEPTIONALLY MILD.

Back