Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the plan.....quite a pitbull fit to stick it out until the end.....but I think worth it considering the huge expense of getting a newer truck.....that would just start failing sooner or later.
Due to the fact I have rebuilt many rusted out vehicles, some worse and some less rusted than your truck I know fully well the work involved in such rebuilds. I think the 68 Fargo I welded up was by far the worst rusted truck I ever tackled . I had the right/correct gear to make up all the parts needed for its rebuild. I was working at a facility with a 40 ton shear, hydraulic brakes capable of bending .5 plate , spot welders, gas welders stick mig and tig . I was working the night shift and pulled a one piece at a time deal...LOL
"

Due to the fact I have rebuilt many rusted out vehicles, some worse and some less rusted than your truck I know fully well the work involved in such rebuilds. I think the 68 Fargo I welded up was by far the worst rusted truck I ever tackled . I had the right/correct gear to make up all the parts needed for its rebuild. I was working at a facility with a 40 ton shear, hydraulic brakes capable of bending .5 plate , spot welders, gas welders stick mig and tig . I was working the night shift and pulled a one piece at a time deal...LOL
"
THat sounds like a nice shop!!! This was so much more than just body work on the old truck...if you remember it all came to a head when I lost the trans and just continued on from there....did alot to it this time around. New front hubs/wheel bearings and dust shields...new axel bumpers on the front as well as shocks. New cab and front clip mounts, new trans cooling lines and on and on and on......would not have been feasible if you had to hire it done......then a $30,000.00 used truck would have been a deal!!!

THat sounds like a nice shop!!! This was so much more than just body work on the old truck...if you remember it all came to a head when I lost the trans and just continued on from there....did alot to it this time around. New front hubs/wheel bearings and dust shields...new axel bumpers on the front as well as shocks. New cab and front clip mounts, new trans cooling lines and on and on and on......would not have been feasible if you had to hire it done......then a $30,000.00 used truck would have been a deal!!!
It was a ship repair facility, fully stocked. When the doors, both sides of the Fargo would swing out they dropped about 4", there was no floor, no footwells and no rocker panels or cab corners. The truck was mint above that with 16,220 on the odometer. It had sat parked in the field, tall grass all around and under it, milkweed and thistle mixed in. The frame was still solid so it got sand blasted and sprayed with underground pipe anti corrosive ,tarpoxy. All new brake lines and fuel lines, gas tank behind the seat was as good as new. All the panels I made using cardboard templates , 12 gauge anti rust sheet steel for shipboard use. It was some solid after all bits were welded in, took me two months but I worked on it every afternoon and almost every weekend til it was body worked and painted. I used it for 10 years, that truck is still in use today, slant 6 three on the tree spending its time on a farm.
I built so many cars over the years I can`t remember them all but one Pontiac Phoenix needed a complete floor front to rear, for it I used steel from the big furnace oil tanks, its heavy gauge but mild steel and easy to bend into shapes. I fabbed up many parts/sections for complete vehicles an older friend used to build complete cars, vintage models of mostly model T`s, lots of fun.

OUCH!!! Now I remember why I hate white oak!! Picked this up yesterday in the heel of my left hand palm......same side just got operated on......this hurt worse!!!
it went straight in perpendicular to the surface.......measured just a tad ovah 7/16" long.......:cry: Couldn't get it yesterday...broke the top off......but let it fester all night and when I got to the shop this morning she came right out ........with the help of a brandy new sterilized utility knife blade....bride wanted to help right after breakfast...I said "No Thanks".....

IMG_1301.jpg

OUCH!!! Now I remember why I hate white oak!! Picked this up yesterday in the heel of my left hand palm......same side just got operated on......this hurt worse!!!
it went straight in perpendicular to the surface.......measured just a tad ovah 7/16" long.......:cry: Couldn't get it yesterday...broke the top off......but let it fester all night and when I got to the shop this morning she came right out ........with the help of a brandy new sterilized utility knife blade....bride wanted to help right after breakfast...I said "No Thanks".....

View attachment 886119
Treated or old barn lumber slivers will fester pretty good

I’d put a glob of glue on the end and let it dry......could never find tweezers or not near calipers to grab the end.
When we were rebuilding the farm house in the 50S I was a sliver Magnet.
It was years later I realized my uncle would talk to me with a watch Spinning in his hand while my dad dug it out. Never worried about splinters. Didn’t hurt to have my dad dig them out.
When I started digging them out by myself it hurt like Hell!!
Uncle Frank was a clever Ol Cabinetmaker.......wish I’d realized it before he passed.

Oh man.......being a carpenter all my life, moving into building cabinetry some 40 years ago and running a sawmill commercially for 10 years or so I've acquired splinters from just about every kind of wood. All mentioned are at the top of the list. But rough sawn, kiln dried white oak is the worst.....not bad when all the edges are smooth but in the rough the edges are killer especially when the edge is not just rough from the saw but the actual edge of the log that went through the debarker!! Damn hard mean splinters right there!!!

My worst (best) story of white oak splinters happen about 40 years back....Dave had just been hired and was working with me in the cabinet shop....great worker and craftsman but at the time kinda green at the 40 hr/wk thing. So anyway we are building this huge amount of cabinetry for this Drs. house we had built over the summer......cabinetry is all solid white oak and we were processing it rough sawn to planed and jointed 500 BFT at at time......that would keep us in stock for a couple weeks. One day we were jointing a bunch and I made a bad move and took a splinter.......weeeeellll.....it were a big 'un!!! It entered right at the tip of my middle finger, traveled almost to the joint and exited, crossed over the joint and entered the middle section and did the same thing, came out and crossed the joint and reentered the third section passed through that exited just before my palm, crossed that joint and entered my palm. LOL.....there was no pulling it out.....it was near 4" long. Dave turned white....I looked at it....didn't really hurt....but couldn't bend my middle finger. I fussed with it a minute or two and could see there was no way that was going to back out so with Dave staring I slowly rolled my hand into a fist and we listened to the oak breaking......LOL!! Poor ol' Dave 'bout keeled right ovah!!! I un did my fist and the splinter was broken at every joint. Reached down with my utility knife and extracted all the bits in a couple minutes and put on three bandaids and we kept right on going. The thing was.....as bad as it looked it had somehow followed the line between the flesh and the meat and hadn't really punctured anything critical....healed right up....I was young and hard working so my hands we pretty tough back then....no so tough these daze....

Classic 4 corner light score. I made it run again...with the same parts. It will run until it won't!
ac4201713d0b804d809ae9eee66cb3f1.jpg
bcb511edfcf94bc583802d1a54a35b9a.jpg
c1b4700e60a9f6f26a9bed553bad1f27.jpg
e19b079b7748e300a4f157d6fc0d6979.jpg
940960a58e57c26745b73057a233e0e4.jpg
871f10cc1d19338866da595f58818d2a.jpg
4cd6e53e6507fdd16f72a16522c31de6.jpg

Classic 4 corner light score. I made it run again...with the same parts. It will run until it won't!
ac4201713d0b804d809ae9eee66cb3f1.jpg
bcb511edfcf94bc583802d1a54a35b9a.jpg
c1b4700e60a9f6f26a9bed553bad1f27.jpg
e19b079b7748e300a4f157d6fc0d6979.jpg
940960a58e57c26745b73057a233e0e4.jpg
871f10cc1d19338866da595f58818d2a.jpg
4cd6e53e6507fdd16f72a16522c31de6.jpg

I see that more in Husqvarna and Jonsered saws than in Stihls. The one model of Stihl I have seen this in quite often is the 025, for some reason 4 of them have come my way with 4 corner scoring.

Back