Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep.....sucks.....
The only thing that holds it back a good bit is, undercoating the heck out of them but it has to be done every year. My old 79 is still rolling because it was done every fall. Even the Fords would last 3 - 5 years longer with undercoating religiously...LOL

I see that more in Husqvarna and Jonsered saws than in Stihls. The one model of Stihl I have seen this in quite often is the 025, for some reason 4 of them have come my way with 4 corner scoring.
That was an Echo CS-490. Bought from a clearance outlet from warranty return. No telling the story on it.

That was an Echo CS-490. Bought from a clearance outlet from warranty return. No telling the story on it.
We think this is caused by cold start,high rev before lettinh the engine warm up. It does seem to happen more over the winter months up here. The spring is when most of the saws I have seen with square scoring show up to be remedied and the back story was they worked fine all last year but something happened one winter day when used, usually a really cold day and the saw was running erratic. Same old story from them,, changed fuel for fresh, changed sparkplug, cleaned or changed airfilter, messed with the carb settings etc, saw still runs erratic, can you fix it for me.

Page 4 alert!!!!!

The bride and I took a road trip yesterday. 300 mile round trip. Picked up the Mighty Penobscot river in Bucksport here on the coast and drove north along the river 150 miles or so up through Milford, Lincoln to Mattawamkeag on Rt 2 then across to Millinocket then onto the Golden Road and up through Ripogenus Gorge still following the river to Ripogenus Dam. From this part of the Golden Road you get some pretty good views of Mt. Katahdin. Mt Katahdin is the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. I should explain the Golden Road......this is a wide dirt road that is completely on paper company land and is one of several hundred miles of dirt highway that span the state east to west in the northern part of the state. It is a private road but open to the public as long as you obey their rules.......the main one is "STAY OUT OF THE WAY"....they run way over weight log trucks at fairly high speeds in order to make the grades. They are very serious about such things. On another part of this road system, further down east, my friend Mikey's parents have a remote cabin. Someone in a Dodge van broke down and pulled off to the side on the road and left it......it snowed.......they plowed...again everything you meet on these roads is nothing like you see on the state/public roads.....the plow gear is no different...half ton van got rolled right out into the woods along with the snow....that was years ago....it's still there, rolled from a rectangle into more or less a tube and down over the bank. So this is remote driving and our time on the Golden Road was about 50 miles...since it was Sunday there were no log trucks but many pickups with trailers loaded with snow machines. So we continued on to Greenville Corner and took the Greenville Road...same dirt track but narrower...beautiful drive down through Kokadjo and Lily Bay on Moose Head lake....nice to get out of Dodge for a bit.......

IMG_1319.jpgIMG_1313.jpgIMG_1318.jpg

Well....OK then....New shop toy.......bought this for the sole purpose of compacting Stihl chainsaws to fit in smaller boxes but I guess I can use it for other things too.......works darn slick........the air over is way cool ....squeezed the new bearings onto the helix cutterhead real smooth. As My X sawmill partner used to be fond of stating proudly (and generally loudly) "Slicka than snot on a doorknob"......

IMG_1339.jpgIMG_1343.jpgIMG_1344.jpgIMG_1347.jpg

Press works good but needs a mod or two..........first is replace the hand operated air valve with a foot operated unit so you can use both hands to keep things in place and advance the ram with your foot. Pretty much have to anyway.......the hand valve came with an air fitting installed but of course didn't match all my fittings. So when I tried to remove it apparently they cross threaded or over tightened it into the pot metal housing and the threads came out with it. Got the new fitting in but it's not tight......meh.....in the circular file with it.

So.....the Planer project is now completed.......cutter head installed with new bearings...belts adjusted and tested. Everything cleaned and greased in the drive rollers/clutch on reassembly. It planes great and is super quiet compared to the conventional three knife head. Will have a set to and go through all the adjustments tomorrow just to make sure all is proper before it's cleared for general use.

IMG_1349.jpgIMG_1351.jpgIMG_1352.jpgIMG_1353.jpgIMG_1354.jpg

Yo Yo! Wassup guys!

Long time no see or talk! And thanks for the like in that Spacemule thread PG600! I'm glad someone got an LOL at that with me!

Holy cow man life has been nuts - work, life, family, kids..... Sheesh it's crazy, just plain crazy with no end in sight.

What've everybody been up to..? How's everybody been...?? Robin I miss ya buddy - though much of the site is generations past our heydays, I'm so glad to see so many of you still here!

Hey Chuckah....long time no see. Things going on as usual....to much to do and not nuff time.....kids will surely take up a lot of your time!!!! But at least you get to see 'em........I haven't laid eyes on my daughter in a year and a half due to this covid stuffs....and her living just about as far away from here as she can get in the lower 48......

Back