Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the White Oak handrail and parts done last week and it went out the door Friday morning. All that was left was a funny looking piece of paper with numbers on it......bank said it was just as good as money!!

Always a worry that the laminated curved pieces will look to much like plywood from the side but we aced it...pretty much. Keeping the laminates in order is key.

IMG_1389.jpgIMG_1390.jpgIMG_1391.jpg

Thanks Jerry. Each piece was cut from a single plank so the wood was kept as consistent color/grain wise as it could be and kept in the same order as they came off the bandsaw, into the planer and on to the glue up. Always had pretty good results doing it this way with woods like cherry etc. Was a little worried with the quarter sawn white oak as as the grain is pretty crazy but it worked out!!

This should be epic...
2a48284373a586c618d11ad318fe177b.jpg

Whoops!! Mother nature slowly taking her back.
Yes it is! AND this is not a serious excavation....... just done in a minute or two with a utility knife blade so I expect the issue goes way deeper than the pics now show. Upon finding this I did a bunch of research and found a problem that is common across all brands of outdrives. Top steering pin seal failure. A devil of a thing to fix or in most cases even identify until it is to late. Like everything it is much more of a problem in a salt water boat. I would not head down the bay with this transom assembly now as when under way all the stress on the top pin is pointing aft. This could and likely would cause a catastrophic failure depending on speed and sea conditions and result pretty much a sinking of the craft. Not my idea of a fun summah afternoon! Fortunately I have in stock a newer fresh water transom assembly and tilt/trim rams that looks just like new. Quite a bit of effort to replace this item as the motor has to come out.... but Ho-Hum.... what else do I have to do with my tyme?

What's the worst part about this item:
A) saw brand
B) saw model
C) seller history
D) fake buyer history
E) other, user decides

Screenshot_20210530-063435.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210530-063435.png
    Screenshot_20210530-063435.png
    195 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210530-063459.png
    Screenshot_20210530-063459.png
    121.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20210530-063526.png
    Screenshot_20210530-063526.png
    139.9 KB · Views: 5
Got the White Oak handrail and parts done last week and it went out the door Friday morning. All that was left was a funny looking piece of paper with numbers on it......bank said it was just as good as money!!

Always a worry that the laminated curved pieces will look to much like plywood from the side but we aced it...pretty much. Keeping the laminates in order is key.

View attachment 908619View attachment 908620View attachment 908622
Dam.....just so fine.

Not good at all, where have I seen that before.
Yep the proverbial "White Death" of the chainsaw world rears it's ugly head!! Fortunately this assembly was slated for a change-out anyway. I have a 2012 motor and a 2018 drive unit but the transom assembly is from 1992 and always use in saltwater. I knew there was a problem, however I had no idea it was as advanced or I would have dealt with it over the winter. Guess I got my money's worth out of it!!

Yep the proverbial "White Death" of the chainsaw world rears it's ugly head!! Fortunately this assembly was slated for a change-out anyway. I have a 2012 motor and a 2018 drive unit but the transom assembly is from 1992 and always use in saltwater. I knew there was a problem, however I had no idea it was as advanced or I would have dealt with it over the winter. Guess I got my money's worth out of it!!
I have seen this eaten out aluminum stuff sijnce the 60`s, I grew up on the salt water and seen plenty of white death on aluminum. Cast iron does not like salt water much either.

Back