swing cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah you're right and you're wrong.

As im sure you're all aware, theres no substitute for correct pruning and reshaping, where the branch union heals and sugars for growth are sent elsewhere. however hacked branches produce epicormic shoots as a defense mechanism because correct compartmentalisation cannot occur. these grow faster and are much more weakly attached.

so my point is that in the short term; yes you're right using a helicopter or those 'pizza cutters' (hydralyically driven boom operated circ saws) is very cost effective, but it has to happen almost every 12months (on average), whereas correct pruning, although pricey to start with, will only need to be implemented every 5 years (on average if done correctly) and there is the extra insurance that the tree's health isn't comprimised by butchery and isn't liable to fall in a storm on those humming lines.

you've definitly got a point; "it's the cost of doing business" and as far as anyone can see its not a practise that's going to stop soon (at least in some countries!), but it's nice to think that perhaps someday the butchery will stop and qualified professionals like ourselves will by employed to do what we do best.
12 months is incorrect they will get minimum 5 years from this line clearance. Having spent over 2 decade in the utility industry I can tell you I have not seen one tree trimmed as trimming and pruning are different from line clearing.

Back