Swivel or sling on bridge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosocat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a petzl ring on my cougar bridge. I see a lot of people using a swivel on their bridges for increased mobility. Just looking for thoughts and opinions on use of swivels as opposed to a short sling made out of dyneema. I know all swivels are extensively tested, but I would worry about everything being concentrated on that thin piece of metal at the swivel joint.

I use the sherriltree rook on my rope bridge. I haven't heard of using a sling, is the sling supposed to be able to twist around a bit?
The swivel is nice because you can spin in either direction as much as you like. You just have to lift the tail of your rope over your head.

I know what you mean about not trusting it. Mine swivels on a good size bolt and is supposed to be as strong as the caribiners I use. Like any gear, the more you use it the more you trust it.

Since this is a few months old, have you tried the strap or a swivel?

No, havent tried one yet. Eventually i will, but im pretty new to climbing and still getting familiar with the basics.

Richard Mumford has a good video on the advantages of using a swivel. I personally don't use one. I would but they're expensive and I've never really been hindered by not having one. I use a DMM ring and a BAT plate on my bridge. I use them both normally and can separate and use them individually if needed. Like using a second long lanyard or using the tail of my climb line for a second tip.

Latest posts

Back