Sycamore dead?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinbgith

Reaction score
I have a sycamore relatively close to the house that I never noticed anything was wrong with before (could have just missed it as it is among a number of other sycamores and tulip poplars).

Last week while I was away there must've been some decent winds, as my trails in the woods were covered in the usual small branches that don't cause any concern. However this one particular sycamore had the top 12'-15' snap right off, falling about 30' from the house. I cleaned it up yesterday, and was able to just snap the branches off the main log. I then cut/split the log, and my moisture meter read 19%. The bark was missing (completely) on some spots of the fallen portion. It burned in the stove readily.

The standing portion of the tree has normal looking bark, and the branches still have some dead leaves attached. There are no suckers/shoots coming from the base of the trunk. I do believe that the leaves that were on it have fallen in the past month or so. However, my other sycamores still have green leaves on them.

Based on my observations, I believe this tree to be dead. However, I'm no expert, so was wondering if maybe there was a chance it would revive next year. It's not a special tree or anything, so I have no emotional need to keep it. Only issue is that to cut it down would probably involve cutting down or damaging a few other trees as well.

This is in south-central KY.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Hi Dan, welcome to the site.

It sounds like the tree is dead. Depending on just how close to the house it is, there may be no harm in waiting till spring to throw in the towel. If there is something valuable within falling distance of the tree, it might be a good idea to take it down.

Another thing to consider is if this tree does come out in the spring, it still is in decline and has likely been in a slow decline for some time now. I haven't seen many trees of any variety return from a steep decline like that without drastic intervention. Without help, the tree will likely just loose its leaves earlier and earlier until it dies.

Intervention would involve diagnosis, treatments of fertilizer, and insect and disease control. Even then, it may be too late to save. If the tree is valuable enough to you, have an arborist come out and start that process. If not, take it down when your sure it's dead.

Good luck.

That's kind of what I was thinking, I'll probably cut it down in the next few months when I get a chance.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back