Synthetic 2 stroke vs regular 2 stroke.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Griffin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Getting my equipment ready for my firewood season. 562xp 357xp and a 2245 Jonesred, Last year I ran Husqvarna synthetic 2 stroke , the silver bottle. My dealer was out of this type of oil the other day and had Oregon two stroke non synthetic. So I mixed it with my 90 octane non ethanol gas. I have been running the 90 in my saws and splitter the last few years with good results. Now I am having second thoughts if I should have waited for the synthetic. Is there anyone with any experience on this, Thanks for any help.

You will be just fine, you can switch from synthetics to mineral 2T oil so long as your saws are tuned well, likely they won't even need adjustment. See if you notice any performance difference in running characteristics, you never know maybe you'll like the mineral oil better. I have no experience with Oregon 2T oil but so long as it's suitable for air cooled O,PE let life go on and find something else to worry over.

For years I used the same oil same mix and was happy. So I would tell every one do not change no matter what. Then things happen where as you have trouble getting what you have been using for years. So check the plug often tune as needed and do not go from synthetic to petroleum based oil with out concern as OFTEN they do not mix. I would think that if you run a saw completely out of gas then switch to another mix it would probably be OK. Thanks

Awesome, we needed another oil thread.

Run an oil and mix ratio that meets the saw manufacturer's specs. As far as oil's concerned, that discussion can end right there. It won't, but it could.

Hugely more important is TUNE YOUR SAW. Learn to tune by ear, and tune your saw to your mix ratio, whatever it happens to be. As long as you're running an oil and mix ratio that meets manufacturer specs, tuning will have a thousand times more impact on the life of your saw than the exact oil or mix ratio. Everyone running a saw should know how to do this, and how to check tuning, and how to hear incorrect tuning so it can be fixed immediately. Takes two seconds while cutting to make sure it's burbling out of the cut and cleans up in the cut. Don't bother looking at the plug, if you go too lean you'll burn up your saw long before the plug looks different.

I would use it since you have it and get the xp+ next time.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Thanks . will do.
I would use it since you have it and get the xp+ next time.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
You will be just fine, you can switch from synthetics to mineral 2T oil so long as your saws are tuned well, likely they won't even need adjustment. See if you notice any performance difference in running characteristics, you never know maybe you'll like the mineral oil better. I have no experience with Oregon 2T oil but so long as it's suitable for air cooled O,PE let life go on and find something else to worry over.
Thanks

In the days of US EPA and Cal Carb laws and restrictions saw manufactures find it difficult to meet the emission restrictions.
One method of meeting these requirements is to specify leaner oil-fuel mix ratios.
As a result they may specify 50:1 mixtures for the saw for emission reasons where as 40:1 might be the better choice for saw longevity.
Just remember, you pay for the saw repairs not the US EPA or the jokers in CA.

I have never used anything but Amsoil Saber Pro at 50/1 mix. I have NEVER fouled a plug, nor had one bit of motor issue with it.

Ive gone back and forth between synthetic and conventional several times and honestly I prefer conventional. I cant tell any difference in the way my saws run when tuned properly but the Husqvarna gray bottle gives me killer headaches when I use it. Conventional Stihl oil doesn't so that's what I run.

I guess that this was predictable, AS, Axes Pol/Rel, so here comes another Oil Thread :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

please, Please, PLEASE, can we have Pol/Rel Back???

May whoever decided to dump Pol/Rel Straight Gas their Favorite saw (Had to keep it Oil Related, for this Thread:innocent:)

Doug :cheers:

Back