Tall leaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys im still learning to climb trees, did some removal today.
Tree was Acacia and it was leaning pretty low so i threw a climbing rope and climbed up right to the very inch of the tree.
As soon as i reached up i realized i need to get on top of the tree to get a safer work platform.
But i couldnt pull myself up, "wonder" if im physically unfit or something :p.
So i fired my saw and cut those branches from under the tree which was not safe i assume.
1 arm holding tree not to swing around, 1 sawing away the branches.
Anyways how do you guys suggest to remove leaners if there is any obstacle below say fence and **** like that.
Thanks in advance : )

Always go up the lean. If it's a removal wear Spurs. Climb to a good spot to set your line clear stuff below and bomb down the top. Stay on the leaning side and block it down.....if you have obstacles below you, rig your cut pieces. I'm being nice, now prepare for a mad amount of hurt headed your way from the other members.

Besides the danger in not being able to control the saw properly, one handing the saw will also cause wrist problems when you do it for a while.

I trust you were tied in twice when you fired up your saw (TITS - tie in twice stupid)

The thing is its leaning too much for spur climbing and i doubt there is other way than climbing with ropes.
Yes i agree with bad saw control and wrist/elbow/shoulder associated problems.
I wasnt TITS, i know its dangerous. I should be doing that after this, was already considering it though

Quick questions.

1. If a tree is gradually leaning from mid, and i climb on top of the lean i have to let loose some slack and start leaning backwards right ?
2. How do you cut/"see" branches under the lean when you're leaning backwards ?

Thanks alot in advance pls comment

Wrap your strap or lanyard around the bole once or twice and give enough slack to lean back a bit past vertical. Feels weird until you have done it a few times.

That's for getting up there, once at the place you need to cut, jab the spurs in good, bend the knees, take in slack, and maybe hug the tree with one arm while using the saw with the other.
I prefer straps when working leaners and always carry more than one up the tree. Stay on the top of the lean and straddle the bole and grip with thighs.

As far as leaners go those don't seem that bad. You can position your feet so one leg is a lot lower then the other and the high one kind of cocked to the outside and that'll get you to wear you can cut the backside.
On bigger leaners useing a climbing line thrown up the tree some then let out your safety line and you'll end up on the low side. pull your self back with your safety.
I did an extrime oak leaner that was 80 ft. and formed a half circle almost. I just used the big shot to shoot a line where i wanted to make my cut and srt'ed up to that point got on top ,and plung cut it. Many ways to skin a cat

I just used the big shot to shoot a line where i wanted to make my cut and srt'ed up to that point got on top ,and plung cut it
Did you rope climb or spur climb with life line being a backup(puling slack while ascending) ?
I can imagine what you guys are saying, pro's indeed :bowdown:

Lots of times you can tie into another tree or leader allowing you to get almost inverted.
Coming up from beneath on a branch or extreme leaner you have to learn how to"get on top", which takes some practice especially with a saw on you belt.

Did you rope climb or spur climb with life line being a backup(puling slack while ascending) ?
I can imagine what you guys are saying, pro's indeed :bowdown:

Didn't need spikes, went str eight up the rope. It would of been a ***** to climb. several other climber turn down the job. I made a days pay and had it down in an hour. You can work hard or work smart. Lots of little tricks, never stop asking questions and learning.

Latest posts

Back