Tauntline Hitch Appreciation Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think ye olde Tautline, or dropping a ring off the top coil (making from a round turn to a simple turn on top) is more like a Midshipman's knot, more for utility, but was used for 'live' cargo too aboard ship. A Tarbuck was similar and used in tree werk.

i think that the 'newer' hitches and the Blake's work more on a 'sock' grip through the coils covering over the host lifeline and pulling long ways down it; this grip is so intense, that something is done to the bottom coils generally to disturb them or precede them so that slide and not just hold is possible with the friction hitch. This arrangement also seems to pull more in line with the host line, rather than leveraged across, especially in VT.

i think a Tautline, Midshipman's, Tarbuck as a family of hitches, work more on the mechanics of the primary/active pull coming from a 2nd tier up, giving more of a leverage to bend the host line, make a bigger dent to affect grip/hold. A different strategy of hold/slide i think. Thus more leveraged weakness (bend) to host lifeline (with tautline), as more dent across if that is chosen rather than a 'sock' strategy over the line pulled directly down/ inline with host line(less bend to host lifeline) with 'newer' hitches?

MasterBlaster said:
And there ya go! :blob2:
That was a Set-Up line if there ever was one, huh? I knew you wouldn't resist. You're welcome! ;)

Now, back to the ranch; I'll try to find out what parks the tcc and the Saturday afternoon workshops will be in. Maybe we could scale a few there. MB will be there or be square; after all it's right next door to eastern LA. :p

I've got to put my two cents in. I also use the TLH. 3 down 1 up.

Its a good knot .... and I don't need an excuess to you it.

This forum is great for new idea's and equipment. I know that in the past 3-4 years I've changed just about every thing on by climbing belt to the new equipment types .. new rope, split-tell, tie straps, big-foot, macro accender (best tool yet). New hand saws, new power saws, But no new accending knot.

Have a Blessed Day,

Can-Do-It said:
I also use the TLH. 3 down 1 up.

Three down? You must have a bit of a gut, eh? No problemno, just watch out! Others here will attempt to sway you from the ways of the TL.

Ultimately, it's your choice my brother. ;)

Well, call me a dinosaur if you like, but I use a Tautline setup. It may be old school but if it ain't broke...

MasterBlaster said:
I'm not seeing too much appreciation here.

Since I'm the only one that uses this hitch, I feel it is my responsibility to keep using it.

:)
I never thought I'd actually read a whole thread about climbing but this has been some real entertainment. Comedy in it's highest form. Maas and Rocky were in true form.
Can someone show a pic of a TH, I am interested to see one. In defence of Butch, I think he was in the Navy and maybe learned the knots there, sorta like Pirates on the Carribean or something like that.
pirate.gif

John

Hi Dan, a B&W would be fine. The only knot I know how to tie is the barrel knot for tying on flies to a leader.
Speaking of tying flies, check out the Coho pattern I made.
John

Cohopattern.jpg

I used the tautline until I tried the Blake's and the Blake's hitch slides up the rope a lot easier when body thrusting or just taking up slack. The Blake's hitch also switched from sliding to gripping better than the tautline. I haven't tried any of the advanced hitches.

Latest posts

Back