Teach me everything you know about logging and forestry!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Road graders can be used as mileage markers. One was broken down along a haul road. What made it even more amusing was that the siderod was inside taking a nap while waiting for the shop truck. Meanwhile, trucks were going up and down stating that they were "at the grader" and sometimes wondering if the siderod was alive or not. He came to life when the shop truck arrived.

A grader is the best for snow plowing, if the snow isn't too deep. But, sigh, a smallish cat would be more practical, probably.

Perhaps the best deal ever to go through RB auction. $463,000,000 payed by the BC tax payers and sold for a mere $19,000,000 for all three. Not even scrap metal cost. Victoria shipyards got the job to build them and It was well known that thet bought them back at auction. Apparently it's a North Vancouver based company from WA. They may very well own Victoria shipyards? They made there face on that deal.
Currency exchange at the time was about a 3/2 ratio. That's just robbery. About 12.7 million USD. Just over 4.2 million each.
122 metres /400 ft long, 250 vehicles 1000 foot passenger 34 knots. They would have made great camps
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-fast-ferries-sold-to-uae-buyer-1.852093

Still no plot? Weird...
I got a call i thought was Bs like this thread from someone claiming to be doing a movie ,they wanted local business props to be in the background to make it seem more realistic ,i still thought it was Bs at this point ,after a couple calls i sent them some of my company t-shirts ,calanders ,and some other crap bumper sticker with company logo on it ,They put my stuff in the movie ,but unless you know to look for it would most likely never see it ,mostly background scene stuff
Ever hear of a movie called Twilight ?

I got a call i thought was Bs like this thread from someone claiming to be doing a movie ,they wanted local business props to be in the background to make it seem more realistic ,i still thought it was Bs at this point ,after a couple calls i sent them some of my company t-shirts ,calanders ,and some other crap bumper sticker with company logo on it ,They put my stuff in the movie ,but unless you know to look for it would most likely never see it ,mostly background scene stuff Ever hear of a movie called Twilight ?

imo, you make a good point! respond to all inquiries at least semi-productively... even if doubt drives the engine. at least you know your contribution made it past the cutting room floor. when I was active M-F, 8-5 and longer most times... I always responded to international inquiries even though I knew was little more than p***ing up a rope in a strong wind! every once in a while i'd get a nibble. then one day I got a phone call from one of my responses... from Santiago Chile. mid 90's... that call in response to my attempt at whetting a rope in all but ridiculous circumstances... led to one fabulous adventure... that was full of international intrigue, travel and very profitable, too. I would do it again, in a :heart: beat! ...

>Ever hear of a movie called Twilight ?

no, to be honest... no I haven't. but Netflix shows 2 listings titled Twilight. one avail and one not.

MrsP der is another auction in oct in chehalis... they had all sorts of dangerous stuff... there was a d-10 cat, could plow the freeway in one shot.

And now that I think about it some, if yer RV mechanic is fixing non existent items... its time to call better business folks, and find a different mechanic

MrsP der is another auction in oct in chehalis... they had all sorts of dangerous stuff... there was a d-10 cat, could plow the freeway in one shot.

And now that I think about it some, if yer RV mechanic is fixing non existent items... its time to call better business folks, and find a different mechanic

The RV place resolved my problem yesterday and all is OK. It was a different guy and I suspect the bad guy might be history.

I got a call i thought was Bs like this thread from someone claiming to be doing a movie ,they wanted local business props to be in the background to make it seem more realistic ,i still thought it was Bs at this point ,after a couple calls i sent them some of my company t-shirts ,calanders ,and some other crap bumper sticker with company logo on it ,They put my stuff in the movie ,but unless you know to look for it would most likely never see it ,mostly background scene stuff
Ever hear of a movie called Twilight ?

Unfortunately.

it should be self explanatory, lots of jerks have moved here over the past 20-30 years, things is getting crowded and tense, used to be known as one of the politest places in the world... sadly not so much anymore...

so don't move here...

and you think that's only happening in your little corner of the US, right?

Just because all the rest of us don't live in the vast PNW doesn't mean our peace and quiet isn't getting ruined just like yours.

you are right in that it's no joking matter... logging and arborist work is dangerous. trees are dangerous when they decide or start to move... in uncontrolled or desired manner...

today - over on GM ci... a guy was working tree work and he and worker misqued... and a large widow maker dropped down and hit him plumb square in the head! fortunately, he had his helmut on. knocked him down and out... but he revived soon after, albeit per his words... quite shaken up!

this lil beaut dropped into my front yard this morning due to nasty storm's aggressive frontal passage. I was in house, but suddenly a THUD! the least such an event is to me is quite scary... this limb 40' or so up in my tall almost-like-Washington-State-pines... :) was facing E off trunk... and ended up facing W, a full 180 spin as it came down with the wind whipping thru... and wind was not rotating... quite heavy. managed to drag to curb. was in 2 pcs. dint have to cut it up as just happened to be tree trash pickup day and city took it away for me... lock stock and barrel!... ( I liked the no cut up part! lol )

this morning in my front yard.... "THUD!!!" a classic Widow Maker... this limb quite heavy even in 2 pcs...

View attachment 516371
Yikes! Glad no one was hurt.

no damage, but came close to yard lites. glad dint hit roof... or me! :cool:

Not a like for folks gettin hurt ever, but I think that as well Northman............. All the guys that grew up loggin before the speckled bird and all the duck squeezing are now leaving the woods but they swore tuh be damned their kid wasn't never workin in the woods so the knowledge for the most part skipped a couple generations except for hard kids that did it anyway. Well now there's a need again for people in the woods for the little logging allowed and they haven't the knowledge even from living with or around a logger to here the stories or the little things like don't never fell em in a hard wind, don't turn yer back on one as she goes, and the like as everyone knows some form of the little sayings. A lot of experience that can't do it anymore, and a lot of inexperience trying to fill those corks now (i know it's prolly spelled wrong but I'm justa a waterhead) I remember when I was real little my dad and uncles, cousins most all of em were fallers on oregon coast, anyway they's be goin on about a'ways go with yer belly and I'd look down at my belly and wonder what n'uh heck does that have to do with cut a tree!? Shrug it off and go back to playing, then course many years later the light bulb finally got juice, so maybe it was last week but I did mention a waterhead lol ;)
I have a question for you: how would you say logging has been negatively impacted by environmentalists? Would you say there is power/corruption/greed/ behind the so-called "tree huggers?" And any specific examples you can provide would be fantastic... of actually communities shutting down etc. because of rare birds and what not... Thanks for your help!

another auction in oct in Chehalis

brings back the memory of good times - 1972 auction of the old shipbuilding machine shop next to the old Darigold plant.
2400 pounds of blacksmith tools in one lot, won the bid at $132, sold over $200 in tongs a few at a time prior to getting it all in the '67 Datsn truck, sat that puppy right down on the rubber bumpers.
$132 back then was nearly a weeks wages !

another auction in oct in Chehalis

brings back the memory of good times - 1972 auction of the old shipbuilding machine shop next to the old Darigold plant.
2400 pounds of blacksmith tools in one lot, won the bid at $132, sold over $200 in tongs a few at a time prior to getting it all in the '67 Datsn truck, sat that puppy right down on the rubber bumpers.
$132 back then was nearly a weeks wages !

you are right! $115.00 would rent a pretty nice apartment... in or above Renton... $ 1800.00 would buy a really nice '62 'Vette 4-speed convertible... if you paid over $225.00 for a 1930 Model A coupe you prolly paid too much... $1200 would buy a nice new Triumph Bonneville and a $18, 500.00 house in Seattle came with 2 wood burning fireplaces... and a garage, too! ;) back when society and the economy had not quite gotten too big for its own britches...

"now look!, sure a fine mess you got us into..."

I have a question for you: how would you say logging has been negatively impacted by environmentalists? Would you say there is power/corruption/greed/ behind the so-called "tree huggers?" And any specific examples you can provide would be fantastic... of actually communities shutting down etc. because of rare birds and what not... Thanks for your help!
Propaganda! Hypocrisy! Just look in my signature below. Hate the game not the player.
Protest the government buildings and fight all they like but don't dare step in the way of a person trying to go to their job. Then they get there they find a bunch of trespassers have spiked the tree's.
Just Google Captain Paul Watson, Greenpeace (Wikipedia, controversy) Paul Watson tree spiking.
"Save a Logger eat an Owl"
Was a bumper sticker that was around Vancouver Island maybe late 80's early 90's in support of shutdowns that started in @Woos31 state (Oregon) Most likely the stickers came up from WA/OR I believe it had the trickle down effect..Erm trickle up effect in this case.

Perhaps the best deal ever to go through RB auction. $463,000,000 payed by the BC tax payers and sold for a mere $19,000,000 for all three. Not even scrap metal cost. Victoria shipyards got the job to build them and It was well known that thet bought them back at auction. Apparently it's a North Vancouver based company from WA. They may very well own Victoria shipyards? They made there face on that deal.
Currency exchange at the time was about a 3/2 ratio. That's just robbery. About 12.7 million USD. Just over 4.2 million each.
122 metres /400 ft long, 250 vehicles 1000 foot passenger 34 knots. They would have made great camps
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-fast-ferries-sold-to-uae-buyer-1.852093
How's this for an RB Auction:

Propaganda! Hypocrisy! Just look in my signature below. Hate the game not the player.
Protest the government buildings and fight all they like but don't dare step in the way of a person trying to go to their job. Then they get there they find a bunch of trespassers have spiked the tree's.
Just Google Captain Paul Watson, Greenpeace (Wikipedia, controversy) Paul Watson tree spiking.
"Save a Logger eat an Owl"
Was a bumper sticker that was around Vancouver Island maybe late 80's early 90's in support of shutdowns that started in @Woos31 state (Oregon) Most likely the stickers came up from WA/OR I believe it had the trickle down effect..Erm trickle up effect in this case.
Ugh. That's insane! Good to know, though. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back