Technical Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a bunch of rubes

A week has transpired and no one took the opportunity to stomp all over my statement that CO is heavier than O². I wasn't sure so I texas hedged when I posted before. However, its been bugging me so I surfed up a periodic table of elements. Guess what?

Carbon has an atomic weight of 12.0107 amu's

Oxygen has an atomic weight of 15.9994 amu's

What's an amu I wondered. You see I literally slept through the first trimester of Chemistry in H.S. I recieved an F! Can you believe it? Anyway the acronym amu stands for atomic mass unit.
Who knew?

Turns out the amu unit is based on 1/12th of the Carbon atom. Translated into grams this =.0000000000000000000000016 grams.

I remember waking from 3rd period slumbers right after Mr. Schroeder finished teaching the others about valances. What do draperies have to do with chemistry anyway? Like were really going to need that in real life? After all how much of a genious do you have to be to know water puts out fire, DKNY stands for Donna Karan New York, and the initials "db" really stand for Dooney & Bourke handbags.

An O² molecule will weigh roughly 32 amu's whereas a CO molecule will weigh 28 amu's. And from the look of the refrigerator located inside the "barrage", there wasn't room at the bottom.

C-

So, now there are large, flightless birds in Robert's fridge?
I hope he doesn't leave the chainsaw in there with them.
Could get messy.

Gosh, wish I`d been following this post, would`ve given me the chance to break out my Chart of the Nuclides from Knolls but then again I don`t talk about stuff like that unless I`m getting paid, and even then I don`t want to. LOL. Now I feel like a real rube:Monkey: Hey wait, isn`t this a chainsaw forum? Russ

Amu must be Latin plural for Emu, I like them. They are like
Ostriches, but much prettier! They have Llama-like eyelashes!

Latest posts

Back