Tecomec Stump Vise with Chain Stop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I like stump vises: I like the guide bar and chain held stable when I file, so that I can use both hands to control the file, and so that I don't have to contort my body to hold the saw when sharpening in the field.

So I was interested in this one, which has a chain stop / pawl to hold the chain the same way that Tecomec and Oregon grinders do. This eliminates the need to repetitively activate the chain brake, or to mess with chain tension just for sharpening.

IMG_2675.jpg

Tecomec Stump Vise with Chain Stop (model10909008)
http://www.tecomec.com/category/_chain_saw_accessories/index.htm

The first thing I noticed is that this vice is slightly smaller than the 'standard' ones. The main casting is pretty heavy, with a unique, 'T'-shaped mounting prong (the other leg is actually a depth stop). Holds well: I actually had to pry this one out after using it.

IMG_2749.JPG

The small rod feels a little light, but tightens the clamping screw securely. Due to the chain stop this model has a number of small fasteners that a typical stump vise would not. I did add a drop of Loctite to one of the small nuts, and snugged it up a bit more, just to make sure that I would not lose it.

I really like the chain stop feature; it speeds up the filing process, and feels very familiar to me as a grinder user. Worth the added bit of complexity.

IMG_2673.jpg
IMG_2674.jpg

This model sells for about $17 online. The same stump vise without the chain stop sells for a few dollars less.

Philbert

Attachments

• IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2672.JPG
    822.9 KB · Views: 23
Hey Philbert!

Certainly a nice feature of that stump vise! The only concern I have is with the statement This eliminates the need to repetitively activate the chain brake, or to mess with chain tension just for sharpening.

I've also been looking for a way to eliminate having to mess with the chain tension during sharpening, but as I understand it, a higher tension keeps the cutters firmly in place. If the cutters "rock" from side to side as you file them, it can mess with your angles. I see the "stop" preventing the chain from moving backward, but not preventing the cutters from rocking side to side.

But maybe I'm just being anally retentive. Please let us know what your experience is with this new vise in everyday use. I would love to "upgrade" my current stump vise to this model.

Mike

Can't tell from the pics,

Does the stop provide enough clearance to allow the use of a file holder / guide such as the Stihl or Oregon?

Neat idea, but with the arthritis and damage left from multiple fractures in my hands and fingers I have a hard time gripping the file without some form holder.

Take Care

I see the "stop" preventing the chain from moving backward, but not preventing the cutters from rocking side to side.
If your chain (or guide bar groove) is sloppy loose, it's going to move; only a rigid chain vise will prevent that. But if a chain is normally tensioned, and prevented from slipping backwards, I can work with that. Essentially pressing the cutter against the side rail of the guide bar and against the chain stop on first contact and maintaining that pressure through the stroke. Side to side movement would be present when using a chain brake as well. A sharp file helps too.

Can't tell from the pics,
Does the stop provide enough clearance to allow the use of a file holder / guide such as the Stihl or Oregon?
I used the basic Oregon file holder / guide on that chain. The photos above show the chain stop / pawl directly behind each cutter, but you can file one or two cutters ahead if you need additional clearance, or 'park' the pawl behind a depth gauge.

IMG_2676.jpg

Philbert

If the chain rocks back, it will for all cutters, so there is consistency. Adjust your file accordingly. Interesting with the stop. Field sharpening for me is usually for doing a quick touch up, so some movement is no big deal. In fact, even though I always have my stump vise I rarely use it. If I rock the chain I swap it for a fresh chain.

Exactly. Only when you rock the chain, and force is needed, are both hands required.
Or when you are a klutz.

I find I have better control of the file with a file guide and 2 hands; lets me push and pull and guide. Kind of like shooting a pool cue; don't want to make a sudden change at the last second. Not holding the chain, and having the guide bar clamped to something stable, also gives me more freedom in positioning my body and seeing what I am doing.

As I have posted many times: Everyone has to find something that works for them.

Philbert

I am still that way also. I have found that a clean chain, and sharp file goes a long ways in being a half competent hand filer. I'm still learning.

Or when you are a klutz.

I find I have better control of the file with a file guide and 2 hands; lets me push and pull and guide. Kind of like shooting a pool cue; don't want to make a sudden change at the last second. Not holding the chain, and having the guide bar clamped to something stable, also gives me more freedom in positioning my body and seeing what I am doing.

As I have posted many times: Everyone has to find something that works for them.

Philbert

Looks interesting. I wish they made a version intended to be bolted down instead of a stump type. Might have to get one and see if I can cut it off and add a plate.Wonder if it's decent steel you could weld to?

Back