• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Teddy Bear Magnolia diagnosis

jkates

jkates

Hi all, new student of trees. I recently cut down my pines because of what their roots were doing to my yard, as well as what their needles and cones did to my yard/cars! Come to find out, there were not getting enough water and so the roots had come topside looking for water. I decided to start over with a Nutall Oak and a Teddy Bear Magnolia in both the front and back of my house, one of each in each location. My TBMs have been a bit troublesome. My Nutalls are looking great.

I had a local nursery plant 2 teddy bear magnolias for me on March 29. Since then, I have been picking up leaves on a daily basis and monitoring what I think is some sort of sickness. Initially my nursery told me that I had a fungus and that they did not warranty against fungus. I am OK with this, just want to know how to best care for my new babies.

Observations on BOTH TBMs:
-Initially there was some white powdery substance on a couple of the new leaf sprouts (white powdery mildew?). HAS NOT CONTINUED.
-Leaves continue to discolor and die prematurely, even newly sprouted growth.
-There are white dots on the leaves that do not rub or wash off (fales oleander scale?).
-Brown amoeba like shapes appear on some of the leaves before they die.
-Leaves of all sizes are dropping. Leaves further down the branch as well as fresh sprouts (new this spring)

Treatments:
-Twice applied spray on Infuse (due for next treatment any day)
-Once applied Fertilome Tree & Shrub Insect Drench.
-Daily pickup of dropped leaves so as not to spread

Can you help me determine what is going on with my TBMs? What is natural and what should I treat?

IMG_9668.jpg IMG_9670.jpg IMG_9671.jpg IMG_9672.jpg IMG_9678.jpg