Teddy Bear Magnolia diagnosis

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkates

Reaction score
Hi all, new student of trees. I recently cut down my pines because of what their roots were doing to my yard, as well as what their needles and cones did to my yard/cars! Come to find out, there were not getting enough water and so the roots had come topside looking for water. I decided to start over with a Nutall Oak and a Teddy Bear Magnolia in both the front and back of my house, one of each in each location. My TBMs have been a bit troublesome. My Nutalls are looking great.

I had a local nursery plant 2 teddy bear magnolias for me on March 29. Since then, I have been picking up leaves on a daily basis and monitoring what I think is some sort of sickness. Initially my nursery told me that I had a fungus and that they did not warranty against fungus. I am OK with this, just want to know how to best care for my new babies.

Observations on BOTH TBMs:
-Initially there was some white powdery substance on a couple of the new leaf sprouts (white powdery mildew?). HAS NOT CONTINUED.
-Leaves continue to discolor and die prematurely, even newly sprouted growth.
-There are white dots on the leaves that do not rub or wash off (fales oleander scale?).
-Brown amoeba like shapes appear on some of the leaves before they die.
-Leaves of all sizes are dropping. Leaves further down the branch as well as fresh sprouts (new this spring)

Treatments:
-Twice applied spray on Infuse (due for next treatment any day)
-Once applied Fertilome Tree & Shrub Insect Drench.
-Daily pickup of dropped leaves so as not to spread

Can you help me determine what is going on with my TBMs? What is natural and what should I treat?

IMG_9668.jpgIMG_9670.jpgIMG_9671.jpgIMG_9672.jpgIMG_9678.jpg

Back