Tell me about Axes....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got this waiting on me right now. I hope to have a council or the like in the 6 lb range also soon. I have some ash, oak, and cherry to split.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416214816816.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416214816816.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 31
Kinetic energy is not "stored" energy, it's a measure of the energy required to accelerate that object up to that particular velocity (whatever that velocity may be in any given moment in time)... kinetic energy has no relationship to "stored" energy.
The moving mass of the tool is in fact storing energy - the energy you put into it with your muscles. The amount of energy you put into it is determined by the kinetic energy equation. At impact this energy is dissipated, hopefully by breaking the wood fibers, but sometimes it is just turned into heat through friction (and then you get to swing again). You can store energy in mechanical form - this is how flywheel storage systems work.

Most of us are not strong enough to use an axe or maul handle as a ridged arm to push the tool head through the wood, so we store energy in the mass of the moving tool, which is released at impact.

Energy must always flow from a higher concentration to be dissipated as heat at the background temperature. If you are doing work, that is energy per unit time, and the energy for it must come from somewhere.

Then explain this to me Chris-PA,
Why is it a lighter, faster bullet, with a much higher kinetic energy value, unable to penetrate the skull of an elephant... yet the heavier, slower bullet, with a much lower kinetic energy value, able to penetrate the skull of an elephant??
Why is it that a 5 ounce baseball, traveling at 90 MPH, can knock a man clean off his feet and seriously dent steel... yet a 2 ounce tennis ball traveling at 150 MPH (which has a higher kinetic energy value), barely raises a welt??

Never mind... don't answer...
It's because kinetic energy ignores momentum... and momentum is the measure of a moving object's ability to do work.

I think there are many that use the wrong technique when using a heavier maul. I think it's the same amount of work using the big maul as it is my fiskars. Depending on the wood I am splitting either one could be more effective at a given time. I am tempted to buy a nice 6 or 8 lb maul with a wood handle from husqvarna.

Why is it a lighter, faster bullet, with a much higher kinetic energy value, unable to penetrate the skull of an elephant... yet the heavier, slower bullet, with a much lower kinetic energy value, able to penetrate the skull of an elephant??
You've mixed a lot of things together with this question - there are a lot of variables beyond the energy available, such as material properties and shape of the projectile. This is akin to choosing the right head profile on a splitting tool.

Why is it that a 5 ounce baseball, traveling at 90 MPH, can knock a man clean off his feet and seriously dent steel... yet a 2 ounce tennis ball traveling at 150 MPH (which has a higher kinetic energy value), barely raises a welt??
Most likely because the tennis ball is much more elastic than the baseball, so at impact the energy is transferred at a lower rate. Work or power is energy/time, so dissipating the energy over a longer time means the peak power is lower.

It's because kinetic energy ignores momentum... and momentum is the measure of a moving object's ability to do work.
As I said before, momentum is just mass * velocity, so going 10% faster is equivalent to swinging something 10% heavier.

The energy to split the wood must come from somewhere. You can set a 12lb maul on the log and nothing will happen. The energy comes from the person swinging, and the tool is the method of transferring that energy to the log where it is used to perform work. A tool that is moving faster has more energy stored in it at impact.

Hey nobody cares about interia and crap. I just wanted to know what worked. You ladies need to stop squawking and go back to eating bon bons

I have an x-25 and x-27 ,they split good for what they are ,get the job done ,for a few bucks more can get Husqvarna axe's ,i have 2 of them ,have a nice feel in the hand ,i have the carpenter axe and the fellers axe ,not for splitting wood those 2 ,more for debarking and chopping ,i am going to look at their splitting ones also ,they are a step below gransfors ,but half the price or less

$20 just got me a 3.5 lb maul with hickory handle. Ill see how she holds up

After you replace the second handle at $10 each you will remind yourself that you could of had a Fiskars with lifetime handle warrantee for <$50.

I have an x-25 and x-27 ,they split good for what they are ,get the job done ,for a few bucks more can get Husqvarna axe's ,i have 2 of them ,have a nice feel in the hand ,i have the carpenter axe and the fellers axe ,not for splitting wood those 2 ,more for debarking and chopping ,i am going to look at their splitting ones also ,they are a step below gransfors ,but half the price or less

Whats the warrantee on the Husqvarna axes compared to the Fiskars? The handle is also shorter than the 36" Fiskars X-27. I couldnt imagine trying to split with anything less than 36". Each to their own I guess.

Unfortunately, kinetic energy is the energy something contains due to velocity... as velocity drops by half, energy drops at the same 4-times rate. A lighter object loses velocity much faster when it meets resistance... such as an ax or maul striking wood. An example of this is demonstrated by ballistics... it's possible to send a lighter bullet from the muzzle at a much higher velocity (and it has a higher kinetic energy at launch). But both bullets meet air resistance as soon as they are launched, and the lighter bullet slows much faster... momentum causes the heavier bullet to lose less relative velocity. At some point down range, the heavier bullet will be traveling faster than the lighter bullet... and it now holds the higher kinetic energy. There's a bit more to it than that... but I believe you see my point.

Kinetic energy is the measure of energy contained by a moving object only at that moment in time (due to it's velocity at that brief moment).
Momentum (p=mv), on the other hand, is a measure of an object's ability to retain energy as it meets resistance.

That's why a light splitting ax works well for straight grained, relatively easy to split wood... it only needs to impart that energy for a relatively brief moment in time (before it loses most of that energy).
But for tough to split wood, even though it contains less energy at the moment of strike, the heavier maul will impart more energy over the length of time needed to complete the split (because it retains more of its energy longer during resistance).

It flat ain't as simple as doing a bit of multiplication and making such claims as yours... there's much more to it.

Follow-through, follow-through, follow-through...

Energy is energy. If the lighter fiskar has more energy because its higher velocity then more energy will be delivered into the round of wood. Forget what you think you know about momentum and losses due to air resistance, thats not applicable here.

Whats the warrantee on the Husqvarna axes compared to the Fiskars? The handle is also shorter than the 36" Fiskars X-27. I couldnt imagine trying to split with anything less than 36". Each to their own I guess.
I never really looked at it for a warranty ,if i break the handle it is my own fault if i miss ,it is a wear item as far as i am concerned ,i would rather pay more for something that performs better than pay more for a warranty on something that does not perform as good ,my brand new saws for example go right to the modder before i run them ,warranty is void at that point ,i have a fiskars as well with the 36 ,it is my splitting axe till i upgrade to a husky ,or if i splurge a gransfors ,the edge and feel on the better axe's is a lot different then the fikars in my opinion ,not that there is anything wrong with fiskars ,i have 3 models of them myself .

Back