Tell me about summer wood cutting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't remember were I learned this from"I think up in boundary waters".
It is a test, observation to tell if your properly hydrated. If your pee is yellow , you need to drink more fluids. If your pee is clear then you are properly hydrated. Most people don't drink enough water in a day when they are not working, let alone when you really start going at it cutting wood who wants to stop and drink water. Soda is not good for you at all for replenishing your fluids, water and Gatorade or a mix is much better for you. Gatorade actually contains more sugar than soda, which is bad for your teeth.

Sorry if I was rambling on but staying hydrated is a number one concern in hot weather, and I enjoy talking to everyone of you guys, hate to lose some one because they got to dehydrated and did something to hurt or kill themselves.

Stay safe cutting in hot weather.

Beefie

I don't remember were I learned this from"I think up in boundary waters".
It is a test, observation to tell if your properly hydrated. If your pee is yellow , you need to drink more fluids. If your pee is clear then you are properly hydrated. Most people don't drink enough water in a day when they are not working, let alone when you really start going at it cutting wood who wants to stop and drink water. Soda is not good for you at all for replenishing your fluids, water and Gatorade or a mix is much better for you. Gatorade actually contains more sugar than soda, which is bad for your teeth.

Sorry if I was rambling on but staying hydrated is a number one concern in hot weather, and I enjoy talking to everyone of you guys, hate to lose some one because they got to dehydrated and did something to hurt or kill themselves.

Stay safe cutting in hot weather.

Beefie

Drinking beer till you pee clear does not count as proper hydration..:greenchainsaw:

:cheers:
:givebeer:

lol...I took my older brother in-law to a NASCAR race in August(Africa hot),we got there pretty early and started the tailgate party.About halfway thru the race I noticed he stopped sweating.

"Don,thats not good you need to drink something"

He cracked another beer... :monkey:

I ended up giving him my last big Gatorade and 2-16.9 oz bottles of water.

I run my mix a little thicker, less chance of scoring a piston, gums up the plug a little more but nothing you can't clean

My Drill Sarge told us a 1000 times "if your not pi$$1ng clear you are wrong".

We also had a chant, he would say "drink water", we had to respond with "beat the heat DS, beat the heat".

Beer has water in it... Tell me it ain't so....

There are Enemies Waiting in the Lurch

Be careful of the poison plants: poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. They will eat you alive. So will ticks. These are my worst enemies when cutting wood in the summer. Believe me, there are other organisms out there that even the doctors know little about, and they are waiting to attack you.

If you cut wood while wearing shorts, tennis shoes, and a Tee shirt, you are asking for it.

Be careful of the poison plants: poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. They will eat you alive. So will ticks. These are my worst enemies when cutting wood in the summer. Believe me, there are other organisms out there that even the doctors know little about, and they are waiting to attack you.

If you cut wood while wearing shorts, tennis shoes, and a Tee shirt, you are asking for it.
Yup, But chiggers are worse than any bug out there. i hate those little bastards.

My Drill Sarge told us a 1000 times "if your not pi$$1ng clear you are wrong".

We also had a chant, he would say "drink water", we had to respond with "beat the heat DS, beat the heat".

Beer has water in it... Tell me it ain't so....
Beer is a wood cutters Gatorade ! hahaha

Yup, But chiggers are worse than any bug out there. i hate those little bastards.
I forgot about those little puppies. Chiggers hurt and itch like mad. Like the ticks, they have no mercy whatsoever and eat you alive. Then there are the thistleweeds and the cockle burrs. Eventually you will run into a yellow jacket nest.

The list goes on and on. :spam:

I run my mix a little thicker, less chance of scoring a piston, gums up the plug a little more but nothing you can't clean

that is not necessary if you mix properly and use good quality 2 cycle oil....

save the cutting for the winter and teach summer school like I do!!:biggrinbounce2:

Be careful and know your heat limitations. I guarntee you that youll drop/lose weight and get into shape quick!!!

if your sweating alot, definitely drink your gatorade w/ water. electrolytes are your friend

Last edited:
I guarntee you that youll drop/lose weight and get into shape quick!!!

Ain't that the truth... I have lost 2 inches on my belt and about 30 pounds after 15 cords of wood. My arms are getting tight in a t-shirt too. The 440 was a real arm burner three months ago. The new 460 feels like the 021 used to:D

As a side note...I got into some ants with red bodies last night. Man did those hurt when they bit me. Cut my night short because I had a mild reaction to those little buggers. Something else to watch out for now:bang:

:clap:lot's of good info
Make sure your running the thicker bar oil.

I am trying some of my used hydro ISO 46 oil as bar oil. So far so good. It is definately thicker than the 10wt summer bar oil but doesn't seem as thick as the 30 wt. I have five gallons of it so I figured it was worth a shot at least.

Forgot to mention, the hydro oil is being run through a filter first...

Ahem. For some of you, check the fire danger, AKA Industrial Fire Precaution Class. It is that board outside the ranger station with removable numbers and sometimes a cut out of Smokey Bear.

Around here, you'll need an axe, shovel, extingusher and a screen on your exhaust. You'll also need to sit around for an hour after cutting to make sure you didn't get a fire going.

On some days, you can't cut firewood at all. That would be level III and higher.

Back