Tell me what I am doing wrong

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second that opinion. With the saw running intermittently it sounds like an air leak more than a carb problem. Air leaks can cause wierd symptoms like that.

May have lead on what is going on. I was talking to a buddy who has a 271 and was having nearly identical issues as I was having. He told me he ended up hearing from a Stihl rep who said there was a recall on a number of Stihl equipment due to the vent tubes. He took it to his dealer who replaced it and it's been fine ever since. So I took it to my dealer today and discussed it. The dealer never said acknowledged the recall but was very easy going about replacing it and checking the impulse and fuel lines. We shall see.

May have lead on what is going on. I was talking to a buddy who has a 271 and was having nearly identical issues as I was having. He told me he ended up hearing from a Stihl rep who said there was a recall on a number of Stihl equipment due to the vent tubes. He took it to his dealer who replaced it and it's been fine ever since. So I took it to my dealer today and discussed it. The dealer never said acknowledged the recall but was very easy going about replacing it and checking the impulse and fuel lines. We shall see.
Haven't been on stihl power portal to look at 271s yet. I'll check today and If there is a recall I'll send you the tb so you can take it to shop so they can't charge you for the parts if there is a recall

All right, so here goes. Just heard back from the dealer and they said there was some rust around the needle in the carb. They recommended replacing the carb. Total cost would be $120+.

Told them I will be by to pick it up. I will order a carb from the dealer down the road for $35 and replace it myself.

All right, so here goes. Just heard back from the dealer and they said there was some rust around the needle in the carb. They recommended replacing the carb. Total cost would be $120+.

Told them I will be by to pick it up. I will order a carb from the dealer down the road for $35 and replace it myself.
Sorry, I am confused...
Which is normal..

Are we still talking about your MS250?

This is good to know. It will save me some time in the future from tinkering with junk carbs. Until now I've never heard of a carb causing issues like this. I normally just assume the saw has a spiteful nature and respond by kicking or sweet talking it to make it run.

This is good to know. It will save me some time in the future from tinkering with junk carbs. Until now I've never heard of a carb causing issues like this. I normally just assume the saw has a spiteful nature and respond by kicking or sweet talking it to make it run.
Well, we'll see after I install the new carb. I will be picking that up tomorrow as well from the dealer down the street. $33.

$33 for a whole carb? Don't even bother rebuilding it. The last I replaced was on a 455 rancher husqvarna and cost $45 OEM or $25 for a Chinese knock off.

This only gets better. Picked up my 250 today. They charged $29 for the diagnostic. Then ran down to the other dealer to get the new carb. Just went out in the garage to replace it. Get it replaced and check the tank to see if they left any gas in it. No gas left and NO FUEL FILTER. I can't believe they didn't put one back on. So have to wait until morning to call them about their failure and get a new filter.

On another note, the rubber boot for the mixture screws doesn't line up with the Walbro screws. I had to cut the rubber extension that goes to the "L" screw shorter in order for it to fit. I assume this is normal when changing out the Zama for the Walbro?

Life is too short and there are millions of saws out there. I know you bought it new and that's probably why you still have it. Get rid of it. Is one of the shops around you maybe a little better then the rest? Or does one of them have a manager or particular employee you get along well with? Pick one person and stick with them. Buy the 261, don't look back.
I admire your perseverance.

Good point, but you have too much in it now. There must be a good, local independent saw guy near you. He may have saws for sale. If he solves the mystery, and gives you decent trade value, you would be way ahead.

Good point, but you have too much in it now. There must be a good, local independent saw guy near you. He may have saws for sale. If he solves the mystery, and gives you decent trade value, you would be way ahead.
Talked to all of the local guys about trades and none of them will do it. I'll get a new filter in the morning and see if the new carb does the trick. If not, I may take a shot selling it on here.

Back