Tell us about things that annoy you on the job site

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike515

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not talking about major issues. More like smaller things that just bug you and you wish they would go away.

I hate it when ropes aren't put away the right way.
Every single person who works here seems to think they need to hit the chain brake before they shut off whatever saw they are running......so the brake is on every time I pick one up.
There is no reason to feather a saw twice before every cut. Like....vroom, vroom, vrooooooooom......It seems so silly but that is super annoying.
Raking away from the trucks so you can carry rakings over what you just cleaned up and have to do it again.

I bet I can probably think of 20 more stupid little things. What do you guys have?

Not related to arborist but pole barn business. Having a job trailer that is essentially a walk in tool box that I can’t walk in because at the end of everyday the boss and the piss ants just throw everything in there at the end of the day and slam the door.

Last year I came to the end of my rope and chained the tounge of the trailer to the lull and dumped it out on the 60-200 pad we were working on and took the day to completely redo the organization of the trailer. That lasted about a month. Right back to my thousands of dollars in Milwaukee cordless tools laying on the ground getting walked on. I have been slowly taking batteries and tools home and leaving them there as the boss buys his own. It’s weird though because his end up on the shelf night

Another thing is charging batteries. At any given time there are 4-8 m18 battery chargers plugged in. People walk over take a charged battery out of the charger and leave the dead one on the shelf next to the charger. :mad::dumb2:

I'm definitely guilty of some of your pet peeves. I worked with an arborist that was adamant about using the chain brake all the time and would give you the evil eye if he grabbed a saw or if you sent up a saw without the chain brake on. I ran a friends hot saw the other day and it felt so odd firing it up without a chain brake.

For me trash in the chips or with the logs drives me nuts. drinks without caps in my equipment and leaving windows open in trucks or equipment.

Raking slowly like an old person while the others are picking up heavy logs on to the truck. Arguing instead of doing what is asked! Being told what to do and then not doing it every time! Not helping when i back up a truck. Not standing in the mirror while backing up a truck and thinking you can see their hands. Wanting to get paid every day. Standing right next to me when I am talking to a homeowner and listening to every word instead of giving me some space.

Or when they’re running the chipper winch line out and they try to put it too far down the log/top (whichever) so it would go under the chipper if you winched it up. Then you tell them “only like six or eight inches from the butt”, and the still try and put it at like 24”. Omg, even if it was your first day you should be able to comprehend what only put the ****ing cable down eight inches means! Jesus.

Or when customers blab the price of a job out right in front of your help. Or worse yet when I’m off moving equipment and they give the ground guy my check - without an envelope.

Yep. My guys never ask how much we charged for a job (and actually not even my sons) but once in a while they find out. But I do tell them how much other things cost us and they are blown away by those numbers. We've had numerous talks about how numbers are relative. Even though this number is big to them....it isn't so big to me because I have to figure out how we're going to deal with expenses that are much larger.

Latest posts

Back