Tell us about things that annoy you on the job site

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one's telling you you're wrong and no one's telling you what to do. Maybe you should add 'people who do things differently than me' to your original list.

I'm actually going to add "people with no reading comprehension" to my original list. Every one of your posts in this thread is you responding to something that nobody said. I never said anyone was telling me what to do. I never said you were useless. I said what I said and it's there for everyone to read. I stand behind that. I have been training people for nearly 30 years. We have never had an insurance claim on property or work comp, we've never had a lost time injury, we've never had someone get cut with a saw. We have an almost flawless safety history for almost 3 decades. I am the reason for that. I am almost obsessed with safety. I'm not tired of saying that and I hope you are saying exactly the same thing.

If you're going to post the same kind of posts, I'm probably just not going to respond to you anymore. But be safe and good luck.

New guys. Especially ones with one season doing something vaguely related, like "I was on fire crew last season down in Oregon" and now they know everything about commercial / residential tree service
I have one of those fire guys right now. He has worked here maybe 5 or 6 times. He leaves for different jobs and then comes back during his slow times. I honestly wish he would never leave. He's one of the best guys I've ever had working for me. But he doesn't act like he knows everything. He's the opposite and I wish I had 10 of him. He doesn't know that but that's what I think of him.

I actually have one of those fire guys right now. He has worked here maybe 5 or 6 times. He leaves for different jobs and then comes back during his slow times. I honestly wish he would never leave. He's one of the best guys I've ever had working for me. But he doesn't act like he knows everything. He's the opposite and I wish I had 10 of him. He doesn't know that but that's what I think of him.
Well heck I dont mean to say all the guys that come off fire crew background are annoying know it alls. The good ones are rare but thats probably true with any profession. Please disreagard my bad attitude

Customers complaining about free chips if there are sticks in them, or just wanting a few yards, or wanting me to dump 12 yards on a small tarp. They are free—- how about you take what you get and ****?!

kind of related — gave a lady a deal on grinding some Arb stumps because that go fast— but it turned out there were twice as many as I listed on the estimate because the mung under the hedge covered them up. Missed two and did I hear about that. After I offered to grub them out with a Pulaski, went over the next day, and told her husband I should wait until the concrete hardened around the posts the fence guy had set (and why didn’t he chop them out?!).

I have received some annoyed looks . . .

Philbert

Yeah, no offense, but that would probably be me (with the annoyed look). I’ve been doing this long enough to be sick of them all. People wanting the wood, people wanting the branches for wood... beer can sized firewood. Cherry galls for wood working.. burl lovers, mushroom hunters.... anything to do with black walnut or cherry logs.....

Philbert, years ago I was in your shoes scrounging firewood. Good on you to ask here. Best not ask when any equipment is running. I hate shutting my saw off or trying to talk when the chipper is running. Often times my payment is contingent of completing the job including log removal. Final raking and blowing is often not complete until the logs are removed as well.

The look you can get from a customer that wants to keep the firewood is priceless when I winch the top and large limbs into the chipper. I now try to be clear that the firewood left behind will likely be 6"+ and will be in log form not cut to length and left where they lie. Regardless it still always leads to a conversation, "can't you just cut it smaller and move it over there."

Anyone else using my saw. I can use any saw I want but I don't want anyone using my saw. They actually took a marker and wrote my name on my saw so they know it's mine. :laugh:

Why is that? Yesterday one of the guys told me "After the week we've had, I really think we need to sharpen all of our saws". "We" need to sharpen all of our saws? My saw is just fine. :laugh:

Anyone else using my saw. I can use any saw I want but I don't want anyone using my saw. They actually took a marker and wrote my name on my saw so they know it's mine. :laugh:

Why is that? Yesterday one of the guys told me "After the week we've had, I really think we need to sharpen all of our saws". "We" need to sharpen all of our saws? My saw is just fine. :laugh:
That's one of the top annoyances yes.

These guys are doing some intense work and you just may have came along at the wrong time that's all
Their focus is not getting hurt or causing property damage so any distraction from their work could get you a mean mug , especially if things are going goofy that day
Good of you to ask that question here , shows you have respect for what they do .........waiting till they are on lunch would probably be best time to ask
Now that will really pizz them off if you bother them when eating!

Ok. Just to cause trouble...if you complain about people not setting the chain brake after they use the saw, do you also complain about guys who leave the toilet seat up?
I think if you are starting your penis in a safe way, it shouldn't matter if the seat is up or down. If you are starting your penis in a way that would cause an accident if the seat was down, you need to seriously re-evaluate the way you are starting your penis.

H
Ok. Just to cause trouble...if you complain about people not setting the chain brake after they use the saw, do you also complain about guys who leave the toilet seat up?

He also rigged his truck to start while in gear because anyone who can't safely handle a vehicle that starts in motion should seriously reevaluate their ability to drive a vehicle.

Yeah, no offense, but that would probably be me (with the annoyed look). I’ve been doing this long enough to be sick of them all. People wanting the wood, people wanting the branches for wood... beer can sized firewood. Cherry galls for wood working.. burl lovers, mushroom hunters.... anything to do with black walnut or cherry logs.....
Put a cost on what they want and watch them go away.

Back