Tennis shoes, shorts, and Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think PPE gives some a false sense of security. I always wear glasses (Oakley sunglasses), gloves, boots, earplugs, and my Kask helmet. I took the earmuffs off because i hate muffs, they make my ears fill with sweat.

I think PPE gives some a false sense of security. I always wear glasses (Oakley sunglasses), gloves, boots, earplugs, and my Kask helmet. I took the earmuffs off because i hate muffs, they make my ears fill with sweat.
Do you like being able to hear?

Sent from my SM-G389F using Tapatalk

Again, running a saw whilst wearing shorts! My God!! I've heard it all now!!!

Ive been running saws and working behind chipper over 40 years, never wore ear protection. My hearing is fine. half blind but hear great. Never wear gloves either. Im a nazi when it comes to helmets and safety glasses.

Shorts!!! Running a saw???

Do you like being able to hear?

Again, running a saw whilst wearing shorts! My God!! I've heard it all now!!!

If you're afraid of what you do with saws, maybe you shouldn't be doing what you do with saws. As mentioned, don't ever think PPE is the complete answer. Sometimes it gives a person a false sense of security. I know what I'm doing with a saw and work extremely aware of my next move, always. I work safe and have not had any problems and no fear of what I do. If I have a fear, I don't do it.

To each his own.

If you're afraid of what you do with saws, maybe you shouldn't be doing what you do with saws. As mentioned, don't ever think PPE is the complete answer. Sometimes it gives a person a false sense of security. I know what I'm doing with a saw and work extremely aware of my next move, always. I work safe and have not had any problems and no fear of what I do. If I have a fear, I don't do it.

To each his own.
I comply with industry best practice whilst handling a saw and i'm properly attired for the job. Class two or three saw boots, type A class 2 trousers for ground work and type C class 2 trousers for climbing, high viz shirt, fingerless gloves and helmet/muffs/visor combo. I'm very confident using a saw on the ground or in a tree but not so arrogant that i won't wear ppe. Recently near me a forty Year veteran at falling big timber was killed. Last Year two climbers were killed by kickback from climbing saws. No matter how skilled or experienced one is there's always a first time. I'm all for minimizing the risks.

To each his own.
Can I refer you to the law of Murphy/Sod the more you do something the more likely something that shouldn't will happen

Ive been using saw way before they had chain brakes, compression releases, and made of plastic. I started with the forestry dept. in the 70's climbing trees. we learned from veterans who showed us how to safely use a saw. Safety and proper technecs were hammered in our skulls. ppe was at a minimum back then.
im all for PpE. But lots of the techniques we learned to be safe are neglected because they think their saw pants, cut resistant boots and glove are going to save that ass. PPE can and will offer some protection, but its not magic.
Ive worked jobs were i had to wear every piece of equipment known to man. But ive cut in jeans and tennis shoes more then once. Don't get me started on one handing a saw. lve been slinging a t200 up in a tree longer then many been a live.

PPE is not a silver bullet but can be the difference between losing a leg and or bleeding out. Just because you know how to use a saw doesn't mean things can't and don't happen. It mightn't even be the saw or could be someone else on the job that makes a mistake and you end up paying the price for it. Tennis shoes, shorts and beach shirts have no place in treework. Modern saw PPE is breathable, lightweight and stretchable. There's no excuse not to wear it.

PPE is not a silver bullet but can be the difference between losing a leg and or bleeding out. Just because you know how to use a saw doesn't mean things can't and don't happen. It mightn't even be the saw or could be someone else on the job that makes a mistake and you end up paying the price for it. Tennis shoes, shorts and beach shirts have no place in treework. Modern saw PPE is breathable, lightweight and stretchable. There's no excuse not to wear it.

Do you have your vehicle set up with all the NASCAR safety features too? Do you wear a flame retardant suit and helmet while driving? You might get in a crash. Might not even be your fault.

Do you have your vehicle set up with all the NASCAR safety features too? Do you wear a flame retardant suit and helmet while driving? You might get in a crash. Might not even be your fault.
My truck is road worthy, serviced regularly and i wear my seat belt religiously. I've been driving for twenty years and never had an accident. But there's a first time for everything and yes it could be someone else's mistake that i'll pay the price for.

In safety, PPE is considered the last line of defense after technique and equipment engineering. I think some PPE is excessive, some makes sense.
Agreed up to a point but nobody will ever convince me that a pair of tennis shoes, shorts and a beach shirt is suitable attire for treework. If someone turned up to one of my jobs dressed like that looking for work i'd run him.

Today, after work at home, I lit up a cigar, crack a beer and started rebuilding a gas carburetor. Then after that, same lit cigar and a second beer, I decided to clean the gas grill burner tubes with a torch and the gas tank was still attached.:eek:

badass

Back