termites in to-be-milled oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumpsuit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Calling termite experts
I have this white oak that has been drying for a year. I was going to mill it today but it is raining. When I took the bark off yesterday there are some termites. I was going to sticker and stack it in the garage, should I still do this? I think it will be okay since it will no longer be wet or touching dirt, once in the garage, so any termites will probably seek out better place to live than my garage. Or should I just leave it outside once milled?

Attachments

• whiteoak530.jpg
    whiteoak530.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 44
Get some Boracare or something similar to apply after milling, they will die and none will come back. I would not put it in your garage without being sure they are dead and gone. Otherwise the better place they find to live might be your house.

Good to know about that Boracare, sounds like some great stuff. But I'm just going to air dry them outside as a precaution. current_progress.jpg

Where do you live? Up here we only have subterranean termites.
Never leave cut wood on the ground. That's exactly what termites and carpenter ants look for.
If you can't move it to a dry location right away, then always raise it up on non-organic material like bricks or concrete blocks and cover it with a piece of metal or fibreglass roofing or plywood to keep it dry.
Wood boring insects love wet wood and if it's touching the earth, even better, so keep it dry and raised up until you can work it.

Yeah from what I read eastern subterranean termite is the guy. Under the bark there were these tiny white things, too small to photograph really, I think they were termites. So I decided to stack the stack outside. This is how I have it drying, oriented with ends north to south.

Attachments

• stack_almost_done.jpg
    stack_almost_done.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 27
if subterranean get it off the ground and debark it all they will dry out and die shortly after loosing contact with the colony.

Latest posts

Back