Testing an old wood burning stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crappyice

Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg i just picked up a wood burning stove and the seller is allowing me to test burn in it for a few nights before the deal is set.

It is in my backyard with no chimney system. I started a fire with paper and small kindling. When it got going I added larger kindling and eventually medium size pieces of dry wood. When that lit, I closed the front door with the door bent fully open and the fire went out within minutes.

Would a chimney prevent that/create a better burn?

Also, there seems to be some smoke levy from the top of the unit(not the door or chimney. It looks like some of the sealer is worn away. Is there a product that people can recommende to fill/seal any imperfections in the seal?

Thank you. I will try that this afternoon. Yes the flue was open...actually it is not even connected yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck of a cool looking stove. I used to have one similar in our old cabin but it didnt have the side design. They do not seal very well so you cannot throttle them down much. Plan on about two hours of intense heat per load.

To test it for burning outside, put 6 feet or so of stovepipe on it first. The pipe will induce draft. It needs draft to burn properly.

It is a lovely stove. I remember seeing 'em when I was a pup, usually in a workshop or garage, though not with the designer casting.

That said, the Logrite design is not the greatest for heating efficiency. Cast stoves leak. They can be sealed with stove cement but there's no permanent fix for it. This stove will require a lot of work to bring it back to its former glory.

Added a 5' section of cheap pipe from Home Depot. What a difference! No smoke leaking out the door when lighting it, a hot fire jumped up very quickly, and when the front door closed THE FIRE RAGED ON! Time for some caste iron cement in the joints and purchase the right piping.
Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very cool stove. I would have it bead blasted, then coat it with high temp primer, and paint. It would look like new.

View attachment 525760 View attachment 525761 i just picked up a wood burning stove and the seller is allowing me to test burn in it for a few nights before the deal is set.

It is in my backyard with no chimney system. I started a fire with paper and small kindling. When it got going I added larger kindling and eventually medium size pieces of dry wood. When that lit, I closed the front door with the door bent fully open and the fire went out within minutes.

Also, there seems to be some smoke levy from the top of the unit(not the door or chimney. It looks like some of the sealer is worn away. Is there a product that people can recommende to fill/seal any imperfections in the seal?
looks like a pcs of junk
i bet it would be illegal to install that fire hazzard in your home

I had one like that in my shop. I wouldn't put that in a house at all. It's more of a camp/shop stove and not a home stove. I see a big crack in the side pannel. Those are made of cast iron and will break quite easily. The one I had finally sercome to rust and literally fell apart. Those kind of stoves don't seal well and are best used in a shop or on a outdoor porch with concrete under it, not on a wood floor. It's basically junk. You can get them brand new for 150 bucks.

View attachment 525760 View attachment 525761 i just picked up a wood burning stove and the seller is allowing me to test burn in it for a few nights before the deal is set.

that stove is a pcs of ****
not worth the effort to clean and fixs it

I think this may have 2-piece side panels and not cracks.

Does this have a baffle plate the runs back to front just a few inches from the top?

Atlanta Stove made some Jotul knockoffs that ran with higher efficiency than the el-cheapo and this may be a bit better than it appears

If you're getting it for $50-$100 then it'll be worth the work that's needed to repair it.
But if its over that I'd pass and wait for a decent one that's not so rough.
Looks like they left it outside for 20 years.

Back