Testing the $65 Halder Steel Splitting Wedge- Made in Germany

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real nice. I like the lack of ringing when you use the composite driver versus steel to steel.

To answer your question in the OP, I usually use a sledge with my wedge versus the poll on the maul. Although I rarely use my wedge as I generally use a hydro or noodle pieces with a saw.

Nice video. Having to buy and use the special maul is a bit of a concern for me. Like svk, I drive them with a sledgehammer.

I usually use wedges on larger, or gnarlier rounds - sometimes using 2 or 3. Do you think that the twist would reduce the number of wedges needed?

Philbert

Please check out my review of the Halder Steel Splitting Wedge. Do you guys prefer using a sledge and wedge or a maul for splitting the tough rounds?

Thanks!

I use the 660, That way I come up with some really pretty, well figured wood that I get $5 a piece for, Joe.

Nice video. Having to buy and use the special maul is a bit of a concern for me. Like svk, I drive them with a sledgehammer.

I usually use wedges on larger, or gnarlier rounds - sometimes using 2 or 3. Do you think that the twist would reduce the number of wedges needed?

Philbert
I believe the twist reduces the number of wedges needed. I like this design over the Estwing Sure Split Wedge.

I have wedges but hate using them, totally detest using them. They only come out for stuff that a big maul just won't split, and wedges only work half the time then, after is the saw. As for twist, makes no difference in my experience. I've 2 roughneck twist wedges and they are my favourites but just because they have a slender start so get started easily. I loathe wood grenades, no control of split direction and not much split power, I've 'nailed' rounds to my splitting block with the grenade before! But that said, if I've resorted to wedges I've no control of split location and am desperately seeking some weakness in the round.

Wedges, an important splitting tool for us that are not mechanically assisted, but I HATE them. Drive them with a sledge, and ALWAYS wear safety specs and ear muffs.

But how do you really feel about splitting wedges Neil?

I have 8+ wedges in 3, 4, and 5 pound sizes* that I have accumulated (different thread), and appreciate their splitting power for wood that will not split easily with a maul. Another tool in the tool box.

* note: I sharpen up the edges with a bench grinder when I get them, which may address your 'point'

Interesting question about comparing this twist wedge with other twist wedges on the market.

I agree about the 'wood grenades'; I have a few just for 'show and tell' use.

Philbert

Yeah I really really really don't like wedges! I too have used the bench grinder on my other wedges to sharpen them, but the roughneck twist wedges start really slender, then widen after a couple of inches, they are easy.

To Neil's point I think wedges work great for stringy, mildy knotted, or generally "tough to split" rounds however aren't as useful for "impossible" rounds. You know, the kind where the grain abruptly changes direction, or is a mass of knots with no straight grain in between. Noodle/hydro only or burn those pieces whole.

I generally use a wedge when I'm in a hand splitting session and have to split the stump section and possibly a round or two above the stump as that stuff is often wavy grained and more dense than the rest of trunk. Of course it's slower progress but also somewhat satisfying to defeat the tree using the "armstrong" method. And as much as noodling is fun, it sure makes for a lot more cleanup at the end of the day.

I think you nailed it there Steve. There is definitely a good feeling to be had splitting a hard round....although when 2, or even 3, wedges are buried and it still hasn't let go there is an equally strong frustration to be had.

If it wasn't for wretched barbed wire I'd have hardly bothered with my wedges this year

btw, this is what i have 2 of.
rou65510.jpg

I had a buddy that ran a small garage, He had a barrel stove for heat. He had a big round of what I called piss oak,, and it had seasoned for a few years. Everybody that came in the shop had to take a shot at splitting that round. They had used many tools, double bit and single bit axes, godevils, wedges and maul, Nobody could bust that one stick of wood. Well, one day I just happened to have my 8lb godevel in the back of the truck and I made up my mind I was going to split the round or bust a gut trying. Now mind you, I had been rolling tenspeeds on the railroad for years and I know how to swing a hammer. My first swing, the hammer swung by my legs, over my head and down on that round, and promptly bounced back over my head. So another big swing and another big bounce, again and again until finally I heard a pop and saw a little crack. I started attacking that crack and finally, as I was about out of breath, I managed to split the round in half. Quartering was about as bad as the first split. Once the round was finally split small enough to fit in the stove door I gave up. Now my buddy had a drip barrel hanging on the wall he filled with used motor oil. There was a small line that ran n the barrel and dripped oil on the wood as it burned. Even with the sides of the barrel turning red, the wood never seemed to burn up. I think that one piss oak round lasted him about all winter.

Back