Testing the seal between carb and manifold.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you guys test the seal here? Seeing as most place a rubber inner tube between the two. You’re not testing the seal between the carb and manifold. I only just thought about it when I noticed I had a bent washer and oring that wouldn’t seal so thought i’d ask what you guys do!

You can spray some WD40 right at the seam with the saw at idle and if the saw slows down or speeds up and starts to smoke, you may have a leak. The problem is thin solvents will almost always get passed that type of seal, so it's not exactly accurate. If you use break parts cleaner, you will always get a change in idle, whether or not you actually have a real leak there, as the solvent is just too thin. Plus it's hard to prevent vapor from making it's way to the intake, but it can be another tool.

Mostly if the saw tunes correctly and everything else is sealed up tight you're good to go.

You can spray some WD40 right at the seam with the saw at idle and if the saw slows down or speeds up and starts to smoke, you may have a leak. The problem is thin solvents will almost always get passed that type of seal, so it's not exactly accurate. If you use break parts cleaner, you will always get a change in idle, whether or not you actually have a real leak there, as the solvent is just too thin. Plus it's hard to prevent vapor from making it's way to the intake, but it can be another tool.

Mostly if the saw tunes correctly and everything else is sealed up tight you're good to go.
Thanks for the reply! Yes that’s true, you’ll hear it in the tuning of the saw. No worries, just trying to learn as much as I can do I really appreciate it!

Tom,

There is a factory tool from Stihl that bolts in place of the carb and permits vac testing. That’s what I use and I Block the exhaust with a greased piece of plumbing rubber available in hardware stores.

It’s not too pricey and it seems like you’ve got the bug now, so it’s a worthwhile investment.

I do think you are worrying too much. Minor air leaks can be tuned out and major ones are generally quite apparent. The ones in between will give you issues with the idle. I’d personally just run your saw at this point. If it idles well and tunes correctly at the factory 1/1 settings (or close) call it a day.

I’ve never seen any saw run poorly with a minor leak at testing. You don’t know what a real leak looks like at testing till you actually see one. I’ve seen saws run fine except for some minor idle issues and upon testing They couldn’t hold any vacuum at all. My point is that when you get a saw that fails, there will be little doubt in your mind.

Tom,

There is a factory tool from Stihl that bolts in place of the carb and permits vac testing. That’s what I use and I Block the exhaust with a greased piece of plumbing rubber available in hardware stores.

It’s not too pricey and it seems like you’ve got the bug now, so it’s a worthwhile investment.

I do think you are worrying too much. Minor air leaks can be tuned out and major ones are generally quite apparent. The ones in between will give you issues with the idle. I’d personally just run your saw at this point. If it idles well and tunes correctly at the factory 1/1 settings (or close) call it a day.

I’ve never seen any saw run poorly with a minor leak at testing. You don’t know what a real leak looks like at testing till you actually see one. I’ve seen saws run fine except for some minor idle issues and upon testing They couldn’t hold any vacuum at all. My point is that when you get a saw that fails, there will be little doubt in your mind.
Thanks mate :) it should be fine now, just always good to know in the future :) just waiting for a cool day to test it. It’s 40+ degrees Celsius this whole week. Next week we have a day or two of 28c so will venture out then :)

Do you guys test the seal here? Seeing as most place a rubber inner tube between the two. You’re not testing the seal between the carb and manifold. I only just thought about it when I noticed I had a bent washer and oring that wouldn’t seal so thought i’d ask what you guys do!

Just make a blocking plate for the muffler and another in place of the carb and then test through the spark plug hole. This tests the WHOLE system. NO guessing involved. There should be LOTS of threads on leak testing here including one I did some years ago complete with photos.

Just make a blocking plate for the muffler and another in place of the carb and then test through the spark plug hole. This tests the WHOLE system. NO guessing involved. There should be LOTS of threads on leak testing here including one I did some years ago complete with photos.
Except the impulse line on this model of saw.

Latest posts

Back