ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Text RANT

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by sb47, Mar 27, 2019.

1. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

I have a family plan on my cell phones with 3 family members and I have always had the texting feature on my phone disabled. One of my family members uses his damn phone to do the same thing he can do on his PC that sitting right in front of him. Why he does this is beyond me. But it uses up all our data time so we get charged extra because he keeps using up all our data time on his phone when he could do the same thing on his PC sitting right in front of him. (Pisses me off to no end)
    So we changed our plan to unlimited everything. The text feature is still supposed to be turned off on my phone.
    But for some reason I started getting dozens of text a day. I don't like texting, I don't want texting, and I absolutely will no text and here is why.
    My phone makes a sound indicating you have a text. So I have to stop what I'm doing to look at my phone to see what or who is texting me. It starts off like this. I see you sell wood, how much? (end of text)because it's not a specific question. I text back. ( how much for what amount of wood) They text back. 1/4 cord. I text back. (a 1/4 cord of what kind of wood?) They text back. (What kind of wood do you have?) I text back a list of what I have.
    They text back. ( I'm looking for oak) I text back what kind of oak are you looking for)(They text back red oak)
    From then on it's one question after another, back and forth a dozen times with me having to stop and respond.
    This is about as non productive as it gets. Back and forth a dozen times when a simple phone call I could have answered all of there questions in less then a min.
    I keep calling my provider and demand them to take text off my phone and they say they will. Then more text start coming in. How is this productive if you have to stop working and go back and forth so many times when a simple one min phone cal would solve everything? I hate texting with a passion. Now I ether just don't respond or I'll smart off and tell the stop texting me and call me you freaking idiot.
    I'm about ready to take my phone up there and shove it up there azz and tell them now send me a text you freaking idiot. They had the text feature turned off on my phone until we changed the plan.
    My friends keep on me about not texting and how I am missing out on making sales by not texting. Texting just slows me down and pisses me off to no end.
    There supposed to have it turned off now, will see. End of rant!

Oldmaple, Philbert and spyder62 like this.
  2. cuinrearview

cuinrearview Red saw lover

You don't use your phone to post here?

3. sb47

Thats right, I always had text disabled.

4. cuinrearview

So just put "phone calls only, no texts" in your ads, and stop responding. Or just make your cell provider do their job.

Philbert likes this.
  5. full chizel

full chizel ArboristSite Operative

Welcome to 2019

6. cuinrearview

Fixed it

7. sb47

I do have that in my ads and my provider is supposed to have it disabled. I keep telling my provider to make them stop. I think I finally got my point across to them today.

8. sb47

I don't mind voice mail, except for the ones that don't leave a call back number.:angry:

9. Oldengr

Oldengr Addicted to ArboristSite

You should be able to go to setting in your phone and go to cell network then APN(Access Point Names) and disable text messages.

10. yooper

yooper Tree Freak

What's your number? We can text it and you can see if they turned it off. :D

11. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

So just don't respond, don't even look at it.

I have a large expanded family That insisted I go on Face book. "that's where we all are". My answer: :You want to talk to me, call me on the phone or email". I will not spend time on that great wasteland.

12. sb47

Yeah. I quit FB 3 years ago. I still have my account but I haven't logged in in over a year.Texting leaves a paper trail of everything you say and do, who need that crap.

spyder62 likes this.
  13. sb47

BR549

14. WRW

WRW Addicted to ArboristSite

Don't cell phones have a feature that will automatically respond a set message like, " Driving. Leave a number."? And a setting for notification alerts that can turn off the beep and the vibrate?

15. Big Red Oaks 4 me

Big Red Oaks 4 me Fun with flying wood chips

I've always hated texts. Now that I am getting older, I'm starting to hate getting phone calls.

16. kspakland

kspakland Addicted to ArboristSite

Northern Arizona, Off the grid but I need to move
    I use a Consumer Cellular flip phone only as a phone, NO texting.
    Costs me a whopping 18 bucks a month.
    If anybody needs to contact me, call my number (and keep the call short) or email me.

WRW likes this.
  17. sb47

Thats what I use is the old flip phone, only mine is a military grade ruggedized phone. You can use it as a hockey puck and it will still work. It also has an extended life battery so I only have to charge it once a week.

18. sb47

Here is another peeve that gets me riled up. Someone will call and say "I'm looking at your add for firewood, how much is a 1/2 cord?" I'll say what does the add say. They say $185. Then they will say do you deliver? I'll say what does the add say. They say pick up only. And they keep asking questions that there staring right at. I'll ask can you read? Then they get smart assed and say YES I CAN READ! I'll say can you comprehend what you are reading? Then I hear click!:D

Oldmaple and farmer steve like this.
  19. cuinrearview

I'm starting to suspect the text thing may not be the root cause of your lost sales:nofunny:...

20. sb47

I only do that every now and then. Besides I sell all I can produce so it really doesn't matter. I sell out every year. Last year I sold almost 100 cords.
    Sometimes I just get tired of the dumb chit.