ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Text RANT

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by sb47, Mar 27, 2019.

1. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

Same call different outcome.
    I'm looking at your add for firewood. It says you have red oak for $185, do you still have some in stock? Yes Sr. I sure do. I see you don't deliver, can I get that much in my truck? I'll say yes most full sized and even short beds can carry that much.
    Whats your address I'd like to come look. I'll give them the address and they say I'd like to stop by on my way home from work, will you be open. Yes Sr. I'm open till dark. They say thanks see you this afternoon on my way home, but I may not make it till a little after dark. I'll say thats fine I'll wait for you.
    See the difference. One is asking stupid questions that the answer is rite there in front of them and the other is just confirming the add is correct.

farmer steve likes this.
  2. jrider

jrider Addicted to ArboristSite

Then why have ads up?

chipper1 and cuinrearview like this.
  3. sb47

Thats a simple question that easy to answer. People forget my phone number and or forget exactly where I'm located or if I'm still selling wood. Plus finding new customers is always a good thing. But I'm also human just like anyone else and sometimes get tired of the dumb chit and I will admit I can be an azz sometimes. I have loyal people that always come back, but many forget my number so I keep an add up just so they can find me. I'm sure you get tired of the dumb chit too and not always 100% polite.

4. jrider

jrider Addicted to ArboristSite

The beauty of texting and or cell phones is to save numbers in contacts or screen shot them. I used to run ads but got fed up dealing with dummies. I’m in Facebook and never have to run ads because I’m easy to find. Saves me the hassle

cuinrearview likes this.
  5. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

Am I the only one left on the planet that does not have a cell phone?? And I have no intention on getting one any time soon. What am I missing??

6. cuinrearview

cuinrearview Red saw lover

Might be.
    image.jpg

unclemoustache likes this.
  7. CentaurG2

So, what does a cell phone cost a month?? I want to ditch my cable and go back to an antenna cuz I don’t watch that much TV. If I did this I could save $100 a month, I could go out to eat 2x a month at a decent place, 4x at most places I frequent. Might not be a bad deal.

Oldmaple likes this.
  8. TRTermite

TRTermite ArboristSite Operative

I use that number a lot

edgar10937 likes this.
  9. cuinrearview

cuinrearview Red saw lover

So cut the cord, I have a phone for everything at the moment.

It's baseball season, so some of it might change soon.

10. sb47

I cut the cord years ago when I was writing a check for my land line and realized I had not used my land line for months and I asked myself, why are you paying for a cell phone and a land line when I only use the cell. So I ditched the land line years ago. I also got rid of my TV cable and went to an antenna TV. Then I realized if it's on TV it's also on the internet, so me and my brother who lives next door, got an internet connection so he lets me wifi off his internet so we share that bill. We also got a family cell plan that cut that cost down quite a bit. So now I only pay for my part of the cell plan and my part of the internet.
    I'm also lucky a family member that was in the army and does computer security and is a internet gooroo so he keeps my PC running great and secure. He's very good at what he does and can fix most problems I run into through team viewer from any remote location.

11. CentaurG2

Trouble here is that the only thing I watch on the TV is StarTrek and BatMan on METV. Usually with Jiffy Pop. My TV is an old 21” job with a picture tube but it is got to be better than anything cell phone offers. I am not sure if I cut the cord I can still pickup METV.

12. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

It's pretty much nature of the beast that sometimes you have to be a salesman and maybe "spoonfeed" people a bit. It might get a bit annoying, but it's going to happen.
    It's best to be pleasant and not come across as a cranky old bastard, at least if you want to have an increase in business!

I don't mind texting, I can answer it while I'm working. Taking a call I have to find a pen and paper to get the info, plus get away from the loud equipment, so that slows me down. Usually if I'm running the processor I'll just let calls go to voicemail and call back any messages that evening or the next day.

jrider likes this.
  13. TheBrushSlasher

TheBrushSlasher I have chainsaws and chainsaw accessories.

I like texting because I can put my phone on silent and just check my phone when I am taking a break then I just have to respond back. If they don't respond to my text after an hour or so then I call. Some things shouldn't be communicated through text like someone dying or going to the hospital. My phone serves as a computer, movie watching, and hanging on here. I have cable at home but I split time at the cabin and don't watch TV at all up there.

14. Marshy

Marshy 285 Killa

It doesnt sound like your son is connecting his phone to the wifi. If he is watching movies, YouTube, playing games and stuff then it will use the data from your phone plan unless he is connected to the wifi. My guess is he is doing those things outside the home (on school bus maybe?) with no wifi connection and was using all the data. How old is he? I know exactly how I would handle that...

Regarding your "ad". If it's on craigslist you can choose call only. That way when a person click on the contact info it will say call and not call/text. That may help you. That or you can turn the notification sound off for texting so it's not distracting you, just silent.

15. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

I have had one (flip phones) since early on. It is for emergency only and has been used to call for help when stranded on the road a couple dtimes and call a buddy to come pull me out when stuck in the mud. Other than when I am making a call is it ever turned on.

16. CentaurG2

I looked into something called tracphone once but I think it still had a monthly charge that I did not want to pay. I figure most everyone including the wildlife have a cell phone around here so if I get into a jam I can just ask someone to make a call or find a payphone.

17. 92utownxh

92utownxh ArboristSite Operative

I like texting sometimes. It's nice when I'm at work in the office and need to respond to someone without walking outside to call. Yes, work has relaxed cell phone policies. Even on my work phone I can text someone back quickly if they need an immediate response and I can't take a call.
    It drives my wife crazy when she'll text me a huge thing, and I just call her instead of texting. I say I'm not taking that much time to respond when I can make a 2 second phone call.
    I will not EVER text my mother in law. She's obsessed with taking a screenshot of everything. I've seen her use it against people out of context just to start stuff. She's all drama all the time. If she ever texts me I call her back.

sb47 likes this.
  18. sb47

It's not my son doing it. It's my brother who has had a kidney transplant and is now back on dialysis so he has to sit in a chair for 4 hours every other day. He uses his phone while he sits and get his dialysis. That I don't mind I can totally understand. But he also does the same thing at home when he could do the same thing on his PC instead of his phone. It's hard to complain when he is going through so much. I absolutely refuse to text. It's not productive for me and is more of a hassle to bounce messages back and forth when a simple phone call will get more information into a short amount of time. I can see where it is useful for some in some situations, but it's not for me.

TheBrushSlasher likes this.
  19. esshup

esshup Addicted to ArboristSite

sb47, when you get a text from someone, their phone number should be displayed. Instead of bouncing a dzn. texts back and forth, call them!

TheBrushSlasher and Marshy like this.