Thanks for the help but i have some ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confused

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I ask recently about which saw to purchase the stihl or the husky and i just picked up the Stihl 046 Magnum. Now I have checked the website and they dont list any magnum saws so. The hardware store said something about 6.3 hp. I was just wondering what the difference is from the 046 and the 046 mag is all. O and it has a 24 in bar. I havnt got a chance to work with it yet but from just doing some little playing around it seems really wicked. I have another ? about break in procedure with a brand new saw also if anyone has any info about that i would really appreciate it i paid some serious cash for this saw and would like it to last for a lifetime.

thanks for all your opinions everyone

Let me put my 2 cents in. Congrads to you. I believe you just bought the best power to weight saw on the market. The M in my view is modified from the orginial 046. As in changes, After the orginial bugs were worked out.The 6.3 hp is most likely 6.03BPHs
as in76.5 CCs.As far as break in I would run at least 1 full take full of fuel, before you go cutting. That means getting your neighbors real upset at you. Just let it idle, with out bar & chain on. that way you wont have to add oil. that is bar & chain lube.Anyway I hope I made some sence.Even the husky people will agree, that you made the right choice of saws.

Naw I would have went for a 372XP from walkers saw shop or madsens and had more power for the same money. But anyways, I believe the Magnum really doesnt mean anything anymore, it used to be a better, louder, more hp producing muffler. But since Stihl just used it as a marketing gimmick for the most part.

1 more thing, Since the saw was imported to the U.S. . It most likely has a American, Japan made Champion spark plug in it. Throw that one away, & go get a Bosch spark plug.

I never had the pleasure of running a 046Magnum, but have owned and run an 038Magnum and many 044's. When I bought my 1st 038Magnum many years ago, i just used premium gas and nothing but Stihl 2-cycle oil. When mixing the oil, I would use approx. 2.3-2.4 gallons for the 2.5 gallon mix bottle. Not too rich, but NEVER too lean. I figured I could clean a fouled plug easier than fix a scored cylinder. I let my saw get up to operating temp before ever cutting with it (approx. 3-4 minutes), and let it rip!:blob2: I ran that saw for almost 10 years and never had a problem with it (including the origional Champion spark plug which lasted over 3 years)! Go ahead and use it, it wasn't built to be run without a bar and chain. Run premium gas and if you like you can mix it a lil rich to begin with. Keep your air filter clean and properly seated. FEEL THE POWER! :blob2:

Oh, HUSKYMAN- The 038 was 3.8 cubic inch displacement. The 038Magnum was 4.4 cubic inch displacement. That's a little bit more than a hollowed muffler or marketing gimmick. I would assume that the 046Magnum has more displacement than the 046.

Last edited:
I dont agree but that is why we are here to work these things out ;). Why turn on 038 (3.8 cubic inches) into an 044 (4.4 cubic inches) and call it an 038 magnum? it makes not sense. Now I would believe that they could make the 3.8 c.i. motor make 4.4 horsepower, seems to be that would be smarter. I could be wrong though, that is why I stick with Husqvarna. No gimmicks.

Actually i have checked Stihl USA and the 046 Mag has the same displacement. However it does have a different muffler configuration along with more POWER than an 046 (6.03bhp verses 5.4bhp). So the Mag does at least stand for something; an :angry: saw that wants nothing more than to chew through any and every log, tree, and Husky in its path.

Sorry HuskyMan, nothing against the husky but i have a stihl and i have to stand behind my saw.

finally got to use my saw and Oh my goodness does that stihl rip. Damn i hadnt thought it would rip that hard on a 24 inch bar. Im so glad i purchased that big bastard. Thanks for everyone that gave their input opinions.

Kurt Vanlente

happy STIHL(Gods chainsaw) chainsaw owner

Hi Folks,
Stihl does claim an extra 1/2 hp by using the magnum muffler. I have both brands of saws and am not trying to ruffle any die hard feathers. Both are excellent saws, the 046 is one bad boy in any configuration. If it were mine i would use premium gas and Stihl oil mixed at 50.1, run the H screw setting 1/8 rich for the first 10 tanks of correctly mixed fuel. After that set max rpm's with a tachometer and let the 046 talk to some wood fibre. Don't baby this saw run it at W.O.T that is what it is designed for.

Back