Thanks for the Info - Bought an 036 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveymw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi again Folks,

Thanks for all the advice in my first and earlier post asking about the Stihl 036 and Husky 357xp. As luck would have it, I found a used 036Pro locally for $350. Saw is only 5 mos. old and only used once (that's what he said and I believe him)- 20" bar - 3/8" chain has Stihl files and file guide (both unused) all original paperwork, tool, bar guard, etc.

I can't tell the difference between this saw and a brand new one that's been "test run". Too much saw for the older gent that bought it to "clean up" around his 1 acre lot. I think he was the victim of too much expendable cash and an overzealous salesman. He bought it at one of the dealers I had visited and said he almost got the 044... hummm! I helped him finish the "clean up" by testing the saw on a couple yellow pines that had blown down on the back of his lot. I ended up cutting them up for him and stacking the chunks and creating a burn pile out of the limbs. I could tell he was afraid of the saw, admitting he had little-to-no experience with chainsaws... I gave him some safety pointers and told him to start smaller... much smaller. I don't understand why people who are new to saws want to cut with the bar tip???... I guess they figure the further away from the wood they are the better???

He got his lot cleaned up and I got a good deal on a good saw. It starts, runs, & cuts great. Very happy with it. BTW Huskyman, if it had been a Husky saw I'd be just as happy ;-).

Can anyone suggest a good cleaning agent to remove yellow pine pitch from a saw? It smells good, but it's sticky!

Also, is there a compelling reason to use "brand name" (i.e. Stihl) 2-stroke oil in the saw or are the claims of "better for your saw" just sales hype?

Dave

Sounds like a good deal. It might be better than new if it's already been broken in.

Just use the Stihl oil mixed with fresh premium gasoline. If you can't find Stihl oil than use Husky or Echo but that would be the limit of my substitutions. (just don't use no name 50:1's or any "snake oil" from Amsoil)

Stihl know what works best based on their carburation design, cylinder/ring metallurgy, modern gas formulations, etc, etc.

Try ordinary paint thinner to remove pitch and sap. It won't hurt or discolor Stihl plastics.

Well, Davey, even though you had to go to the "dark side" I am glad you got a deal. $350 is a lot better than $600. As far as oil use stihl oil. you just spent a lot of money, dont go cheap on the oil. They have everything to gain by making good oil and nothing to lose. They want their saws to last as long as possible. Whenever I get pine on my saw I just use gasoline and it comes right off. It has not damaged the plastic yet. However I also put gloves on whenever moving the logs

Congrats on your deal! I have used nothing but Stihl 2-cycle oil for years in ALL my 2-cycle stuff, Echo saw, weedeater, blower, etc. Never tried anything else cause Stihl oil works great and doesn't stink.
When working at Davey Tree, we were cleaning saws one slow winter day and one of the guys used 'Purple Stuff' concentrate or something like that. I know there are several brands, available at auto parts stores. Even diluted down to the recommended mixture with water, it cleaned up several old saws like new. Just sprayed it on, used a soft brush on the thick spots and rinsed it off. Didn't fade colors on any of the saws either. We used it on Husky, Stihl, Echo and Jonsered. The saws were almost too clean to use! :laugh:

Back