ArboristSite.com Sponsors

That didn't last very long

Discussion in 'Reader's Rides' started by sb47, Nov 30, 2019.

1. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

I had the front end on my truck done about 4 years ago and had everything on the front end done. Upper & lower ball joints, A frame bushings, tie rod and ball joints, pitman arm, bearings, seals, breaks.
    My truck is a 94 and I have helper springs on the rear that lifted the rear about 2''. But because my truck is 25 years old, the front springs are sagging and my front tire are starting rub on the finder wells when I hit a big dip at speed. So I was going to go cheap and put a 1: 1/2 '' rubber donuts under the spring to lift it just enough to keep it from rubbing.
    So I bought the parts and started to work. Well it's always something. Turns out everything was worn out or almost worn out. So I am redoing everything all over again. I have changed from going cheap with a donuts under the spring, I'm going back with brand new HD OEM springs, shocks front and back, all new bushings, tie rod ends tie rods, pitman arm, new bearings, seals, new breaks front and back, front and rear break calipers, sway bar bushings, and a n aliment, and changing the dif oil, new alternator and belt, plugs, plug wires, rotor and cap, upper and lower radiator hoses, flush and change coolant.

I got most of it done today and should finish tomorrow. Should drive much better when I'm done. I went with all new parts with lifetime warranty on all parts.
    I was only going to do breaks and try to lift the front just enough to keep the tires from rubbing, but as usual you start a simple job then it turns into a full rebuild.

2. sb47

Got almost everything done today but being Sunday I'll have to wait till Monday to get an aliment done.
    Can't wait to see how much improvement i get.

3. sb47

Got almost everything done today but being Sunday I'll have to wait till Monday to get an aliment done.
    Can't wait to see how much improvement i get.

FlyingDutchman likes this.
  4. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Row Seatin'

What kind of truck do you have?

5. sb47

1994 silverado 5.7 stepside
    Getting the alignment done this morning. It's on the alignment rack as we speak.
    I drove it home last night and it rides great but it does have a little too much over steer but thats because it sits 2'' higher in the front because of the new HD springs I put in. The camber has the front tires angled in at the bottom because of the 2'' lift, but the alignment should fix all that.

FlyingDutchman likes this.
  6. FlyingDutchman

A friend put Moogs in the UCA's on his 2500 and only got 4 years out of them, mostly highway driving. You must have a 2wd?

I think Proforged is the only thing I'd put in if I was going to keep anything, but it about doubles the price of the job...

sb47 likes this.
  7. sb47

I put top of the line parts with full lifetime warranty on all parts. I didn't go cheap.
    Yes it's 2 wheel drive.

8. sb47

Now the alignment place said there was not enough room to get the camber set correctly, and I have a big clunking noise coming from the left side. The guy that installed all the parts is on his way to take a look. Said he used all OEM parts so not sure whats going on with it yet.
    It's always something. The truck looks great now that it sits level though. Drives good but I haven't put any millage on it yet. Waiting for my mechanic to check it out first before I take it for a cruse.

9. FlyingDutchman

If I'm not mistaken Moog offers a problem solver eccentric camber bolt or assembly that can overcome these issues

sb47 likes this.
  10. SS396driver

SS396driver ArboristSite Guru

I used Synergy adjustable ball joints on my 3500 CTD dodge to cure the same problem . But I know I'll be doing them in the future. CDT's are hard on the front suspension

sb47 likes this.