"That's why you lift all them weights (in our case logs)"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ever see the film footage of Bill Parcells when he coached the Giants, and they had him wired for sound and he's on the sideline saying to his players "that's why you lift all them weights"? Well, when I walked into our newly-refurnished living room, and the stove was rollin' along, and it felt real good and looked real good down there, I thought of this same thing-"that's why you lift all them logs, and cut 'em and split 'em...so you can enjoy these feelings now". It's a very satisfying feeling, isn't it-knowing that you worked your ass off back when and now can enjoy the fruits of that labor with heat from well-seasoned wood.

Don't know why I felt compelled to post this, but here it is and I KNOW you guys know what I'm sayin'....:greenchainsaw:

..."my hands have touched every one of those logs in that shed."

I just had to quote that. Very funny when read alone.

In all seriousness, however, I understand exactly what you mean. My old man and I were just talking about the same thing today. It has been below zero the last few nights and today was the first day when it topped out higher than zero for a high. Its just real nice to step inside a 70 plus degree house with a howling fire in the stove after a day hauling wood.

And not only do I think about how I handled each piece of wood I can also remember which tree it came from.

good feelings

Amen to that brother!!!! With the weather man forecasting doom and gloom I woke up to a mission. Get the snow blower out of the shed (shoulda been done weeks ago), check to make sure it runs, hook up the plow, make sure it works and then relax on my day off and wait for the white stuff. Three trips to the parts store for broken bolts, old fuel lines, broken fuel shut off, shrink tube for the repaired control wires, a fresh can of PB blaster (cause I was out), a fresh can of WD40(cause I was out), two thrown wrenches, lost count on busted knuckles, and a plethora of curse words I got to come inside just as it started to snow. Fire blazing and a glass of American Honey on ice, man Life is good! Now wher's that darn remote for the TV?

I feel the same way about my firewood and being able to heat my whole house as a result of the hard labor. Who needs to go to the gym when you got wood to work with. :cheers:

Ever see the film footage of Bill Parcells when he coached the Giants, and they had him wired for sound and he's on the sideline saying to his players "that's why you lift all them weights"? Well, when I walked into our newly-refurnished living room, and the stove was rollin' along, and it felt real good and looked real good down there, I thought of this same thing-"that's why you lift all them logs, and cut 'em and split 'em...so you can enjoy these feelings now". It's a very satisfying feeling, isn't it-knowing that you worked your ass off back when and now can enjoy the fruits of that labor with heat from well-seasoned wood.

Don't know why I felt compelled to post this, but here it is and I KNOW you guys know what I'm sayin'....:greenchainsaw:

:agree2: Just thinking the same thing today when I was loading up my Heatmor... It's 78 degrees as I type this message, ahhhh I love wood heat!!!

I feel the same way about my firewood and being able to heat my whole house as a result of the hard labor. Who needs to go to the gym when you got wood to work with. :cheers:

+1. My source of firewood is my gymnasium and that is where I work out. I admit that sometimes I wish it were indoors and not covered with ice and snow that hinders my progress.

Actually I hit the weights hard also and sometimes they help me with the wood....I remember last year carrying some oak rounds out of ditch that was about all I could muster to push roll and shove them up...that was after everyone else left the tree there because they couldn't carry it out :) Got a winch now and would probably just pull them out now but it was fun to say I carried them out :)

dropped a red oak this afternoon and got a half cord of limb wood still on the truck.It was a little to dark to run the saw so I just piled up the brush and quit.I think the trunk will make anouther half cord, hope so anyway,
going to take the splitter to it in the morning after I unload. This is 10-11 wood, so theres no rush I just like to get it split and stacked asap.

You are most certainly right great feeling. My wife says she gets tired of me talking chainsaws cutting wood all the spare time but I dont hear her gripe when the fire is burning and the house has the feel that you cant get from any other type heat.

You are most certainly right great feeling. My wife says she gets tired of me talking chainsaws cutting wood all the spare time but I dont hear her gripe when the fire is burning and the house has the feel that you cant get from any other type heat.

:agree2:

So true,I'm a Union Ironworker by trade and think about Wed. I'm taking this weekend off and resting then by Sat. morn. I think,well better go see what I can find for next year while I got the time. :clap: Very gratifying work.

agree

What about when your four month old baby is sound asleep in a 75 degree room instead of me trying to save money by keeping the thermostat at 65 when I was burning propane. I was thinking about posting about this the other day but you guys beat me to it. Anyways, I agree, it is very satisfying!!

For me, it's the satisfaction of sending less money to the stinken raghead countries.
:givebeer:

Back