The 361 options and mods thead

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you might be confusing RM2 with "RM". RM is not a safety chain and is definitely used on even the largest saws...

I have no idea what you're refering to with the spur sprockets... not a Stihl IPL..

For you on 25 inch, just use a 7 -3/8 RIM system.

Last edited:
can delete post after answer to keep thread clean... catalog does not have RM2 listed! Do you mean the RMC3 (low kickback) ?

Also I got some RMC - which "i hope" is the RM + comfort (low vib.).. ... are is there something diff about the RMC over RM that they don't say!!

RMC is the latest version of RM. Just the heels of the cutter is slightly relieved. No difference in cutting.

RMC3 has replaced RM2, but here still some RM2 floating around a few dealers. RMC3 is a decent chain.

RMC is the latest version of RM. Just the heels of the cutter is slightly relieved. No difference in cutting.

RMC3 has replaced RM2, but here still some RM2 floating around a few dealers. RMC3 is a decent chain.

RMC3 is decent for what? fishing weights :)
Ahh Homeowner saws.

RM2 vs RM Stihl chain

RM2 was the older safety chain that Stihl stopped making about a year ago. It has the same cutters and shape as RM, but RM2 has guard links between the cutter links. It is not in the catalog any more, but there are still dealers with rolls of the stuff out there. Also a lot of Stihl saws wearing them. I have several RM2 loops that came with my saws originally. Even on the the 28 inch "non-safety" ES Stihl bar! I save them for cutting in really crappy conditions, like in mud and any potential naily trees.

Last I tried to get RMC they said it was not available in 3/8 .050. Only in .325. I would like to try some of that stuff if it is available in standard 3/8.

Last edited:
Excellent thread windthrown! :cheers:

Good to see all the goodies for my saw in one convenient place. :biggrinbounce2:

Thanks and happy holidays to you. :)

I dunno, comparing the stock rim to the Oregon one, the Oregon one was not finished as well, and it had the hairline crack in it. I will have to get some more rims down at the Stihl shop in Cottage Grove where I get my RM loops made. They seem to have an old cashe of rims and chain there.

I dunno, comparing the stock rim to the Oregon one, the Oregon one was not finished as well, and it had the hairline crack in it. I will have to get some more rims down at the Stihl shop in Cottage Grove where I get my RM loops made. They seem to have an old cashe of rims and chain there.

shoot one over this way while your at it;)

lake might have been kiding but stihl may get only the best. who knows they might run over a scale and auto sorter, could be........

Well, the price for Stihl rims at the dealer and the price of Oregon rims on Bailey's is about the same. Add the cost of shipping, and it seems to be a no-brainer to get the rims here (no sales tax in this state).

Back