The 361 options and mods thead

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno, comparing the stock rim to the Oregon one, the Oregon one was not finished as well, and it had the hairline crack in it. I will have to get some more rims down at the Stihl shop in Cottage Grove where I get my RM loops made. They seem to have an old cashe of rims and chain there.

The ones I have studied under a magnifying glass, look exactly, repeat exactly the same, except for the logo.

Well, maybe I got a bad Oregon rim. But if the logo is different, then the casting must have been in a different run. :dizzy:

They are cheap enough not to woory about. Now on to some more spendy options on the 361 (if the power does not go out here again today).

Re the Stihl 3/4 wrap handle, as noted in the kit, it needs a spacial bar wrench. Unlike the bigger saws there is not enough room for the regular wrench. I just cut down several large Husky wrenches to work only on Stihl bar nuts. The Stihl wrench is a goofy looking thing that works fine but is not too compact.

WIND

I will check on the RMC 050 Monday and post.. I thought I heard him say which one do you want?? I have a box of 36RMC right there.. Will post...

ps: If I can get a box of 050 i would send it 2 u for a flat $20 .. I would eat the rest - consider it a Xmas box!!! After all the knowledge/experience that is put forth there!

3652 005 0066 = my box!

Last edited:
This is the Stihl part number for the dual dog and chain roller kit for the 361 from the IPL.

1135 650 7750

The cost of the kit is about $35. Here is the highlighted view of what you get with the kit. It works with the stock side cover, which needs to be drilled out (punched through) to accept the bolts for the second outside dog (view stolen from an AS post by musher). Also note that the spikes in this kit are larger than the stock ones.

attachment.php

Note that there is also a 3/4 wrap (Stihl calls it a full wrap) option kit for this with a different side cover. I will post that separately.

Just thought you guys might want to see the 361 spike kit for real, I really like it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Re the Stihl 3/4 wrap handle, as noted in the kit, it needs a spacial bar wrench. Unlike the bigger saws there is not enough room for the regular wrench. I just cut down several large Husky wrenches to work only on Stihl bar nuts. The Stihl wrench is a goofy looking thing that works fine but is not too compact.

The bar wrench in the kit is actually the 084 full wrap wrench - they resurrected it for the 361 3/4 wrap.

The MSRP out here is $124 for the entire kit.

Last edited:
Later 361's, come with holes drilled in clutch cover all the way through
for outside spike. Don't know when this started, but the one I just bought has through holes.

Last edited:
Bar stud upgrade for the 361

To replace your bar studs with the new type now standard on the new 361s, the Stihl part number is:

1138 664 2400

Supposed to be a couple bucks each at the dealer (wow, that is cheap, need a more spendy upgrade ;) ).

These are the part numbers for the 361 rims from the Stihl IPL:

0000 042 1216 1 Rim sprocket 3/8" 8T
0000 042 1223 1 Rim sprocket 3/8" 7T <------ stock rim for the 361
0000 642 1239 1 Rim sprocket 0.325" 9T

I run all 3/8" b&c on my 361s. I usually run an 8 pin rim with a 16 or 18 inch bar, and a 7 pin rim with a 20 or 25 inch bar, all with full comp RM chain. I also run an 8 pin rim with a 20 inch bar with full skip RMF chain.

A 9 pin .325 sprocket is actually almost the same diameter as an 8 pin 3/8" so they create about the same "gear ratio" in terms of chain speed. I usually run a 7 with a 20" bar, but it can pull an 8 if you use a light touch. With anything shorter, it's an 8 (3/8) or a 9 (.325). I have had excellent results with a 9 pin and a 16" bar with .325 chain.

Serial -

so is the general rule with a 16/18" bar to use a 8t rim?? What kind of wood are you cutting
up there on the east coast?? I had them put a 18" bar on when I bought my saw - but I
think they may have forgot 2 change out my rim - or didnot know it all ??

Last edited:
25" 050 Bar Part #

Andy / Wind

found book but have a real question!

I wanted to use 28" bar "a few" times with my 361 until I get a 460.. reason is I need to make a "clean" cut on some big rounds - meaning a good through cut - if I can find them - they are for my splitting block!! Then when I get my larger saw I already will have a 28" bar.. Or is the 28" too much for a 361 in hardwood with a RMF chain every once in a while! I may NOT need the the extra length - but then again it may make the cut a lot easier in the way of not having the bar totally baried in the wood...

anything on the rim tooth #

Also I really don't want to start buying diff bars until I find out which way I going with diff bars.. **** THE RMF BEING SOLD ONLY IN 050 is ONE reason to make all my bars 050...

Last edited:
RM and RMF make a cut as clean as RS or RSC... cuts maybe 10% slower at first but it cuts a lot longer between sharpenings. I find RM/RMF to be the best general purpose chain. I use chisel only in clean standing wood - then it shines..

For occassional use, 28 with full skip is o.k. on a 361.. not a steller performer, requries a light touch, but it works.

361 - 7 pin rim unless you are below 20 inches.

Last edited:
Sadly the pricing for Stihl dealer parts is by US region. For some Stihl parts they vary a lot. And they change over time. That is why I posted estimated parts costs, and not specifics.

Back