The $99 Poulan Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B440

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Black Friday is upon us again, and Tractor Supply is offering the $99 deal for a Poulan Pro 42cc saw, again.
poulan 99 saw.JPG
TSC Deal for Poulan Chainsaw (link may only work until 11/28/20)

With the temptation to buy one just to modify, my question is: Does anyone have experience modifying this saw? If I got one, I would want to adjust the muffler, timing, squish, and ports. Who has done this, and what can you share?

I would advise against it...they barely work stock, you start modding on it, it may quickly become inoperable. You cant do much with them

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

lol on the Wild Thing.
That is interesting if it has plastic transfer ports. So I am assuming plastic or open doesn't leave any room for modification?
I could still play with the exhaust, muffler and timing though, yes? Do you think the cylinder design is a strato, or just a cat in the muffler?

lol on the Wild Thing.
That is interesting if it has plastic transfer ports. So I am assuming plastic or open doesn't leave any room for modification?
I could still play with the exhaust, muffler and timing though, yes? Do you think the cylinder design is a strato, or just a cat in the muffler?
Should be a strato. Basically the cylinder has open transfers but then these plastic plates slide in and the transfers are closed...but the piston rides on these plastic sections. Its a clamshell engine so you really cant do much with squish. I rebuilt one that cooked itself around 1hr runtime and with all new top end its maybe 110psi wet. With the muffler opened up some it struggles to hit 12,500...if i lean it any further it bogs.

Basically this
4ebd0d033b606dfc7552c9992c64cb7e.jpg

Some are plain bore and some are chrome bore . A bit of work to find out which saw has what.
I rebuilt one using a chrome bore kit. The saw was killed from E-10 carb caused lean burn out.
And FWIW the old 2050 2150 etc family had a Wild Thing version and this new strato family also has a Wild Thing.
Can't actually see any difference in the IPL's except the plastic colors from it's brothers?
I have 4 of this strato family, all given for free. Very consistent starting. 2 are 18" bar 2 are 16" I run the woodland pro full chisel. They are OK if you have no other small trimming saws for light yard work.
There are probably lots of better saws for hot rodding.

I have one of the new ones that the owner managed to kill by running with the chain brake on. The PR4218 has many parts that are not the same as the PP4218, the carb is a crappy RUIXING and can be replaced by the regular one (walbro?) but has to be modified to fit the new air filter. Rebuild kits might be hard to find. It's a regular strato engine but very difficult to get it tuned just right with that carb. Has the worst EZ-pull recoil starter ever, so I modified it back to a normal one. Non-adjustable oiler that puts out too much oil and a stupid skip tooth chain. Saw is real easy to work on, the only problem is to get the carb off, you have to clamp the bar in a vise and pull the rear handle down against the AV mounts to get enough clearance to remove it. About the only thing you can do with it is open up the muffler a bit and maybe fool with the timing, I opened the muffler up too much and couldn't get the carb to compensate enough and had to close off some of the new holes. All being said, for a $100 it's a good value and once you get it running right (it will not be right with the factory settings) and put a better chain on it, it will do a decent job of cutting anything a home/cottage owner would need.

How to make money with a poulan saw:
Hide it behind the wheels of a vehicle.
Kiss your hand.
Go buy a real saw.
Yes, I've owned a few.
Nate

Latest posts

Back