The $99 Poulan Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MTD/Remington Rebel.

Its basically right there with any current poulan.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I checked one out at rural king and it seems like it has nice build quality.
They run okay, usually hard to start hot or cold, parts can be difficult to get

I had one, it's hard to describe how lame that saw was. A chinese red max clone in 38 CC's I had would cut circles around it. In fact I think my 26cc Homelite XL2 had more power. And no matter how you would tune it, nothing would help. I don't know if it was a characteristic of the strato engine or if I just had a bad example, but I would only take them if they were free and I could fix them up for nothing and sell them.
They run good when they hold a proper tune but if you sneeze start over.
MTD/Remington Rebel.

Its basically right there with any current poulan.

Imo the mtd saws are much better quality having been inside both poulan and the new mtd zenoah clones.

The joncutter chinese zenoahs seem to hold up better than the mtd ones

A clogged exhaust screen will also make it run richer as it will keep some of the incoming charge from escaping through the muffler. Be careful how you tune it. There is a VERY fine line between max power and lean seizure. Tuning is dependant on altitude and air temperature. This was an issue with the predecessor 170/180 with the fixed jet carbs.

Yeah they've used that style for quite a few years now. If you retune them out the box they can last a bit with light use, most burnup within a dozen tanks from running lean.

I disagree with your statement unless you're saying every saw running 10% ethanol fuel needs to be tuned.

I disagree with your statement unless you're saying every saw running 10% ethanol fuel needs to be tuned.

Every saw need to be tuned is right thanks to the EPA a lot come tuned lean, even the autotune ones I think are one the edge of running lean, they sure couldn't be tuned on the rich side and get by the EPA. Steve

No doubt husky is putting poulan, PP slowly in the grave by putting incredibly bad product out there. Lack luster parts support for the old products. I looked up MTD, remington and (husky owned)zenoah.
I have an old ECHO 280E and recently did a carb kit on a friends used CS330T he recently bought...Makes ECHO/Shindaiwa look better to me all the time. But dealer network is lacking. I saw their 116cc ? saw on their website offering but the local dealer did not even know it existed...

Weather you like poulan or not doesnt matter, it's a throw away saw that hits its target market perfectly. Buy it, use it, trash it. Three years later, go buy a new one. That's just how people live these days. We (I) cant see spending money like that, but I know plenty of people who cant see the point of getting a pro/semi pro saw and actually taking care of it. Just the way the world has gone.

Limb falls. Homeowner buys a Wild Thing and gets to go through the ancient dark arts ritual of buying oil and mixing two stroke fuel up. He's rewarded because his saw doesn't immediately self destruct upon starting, proving that he got the ritual right! Then he gets to play Paul Bunyan for ten minutes, and later look at the 14pcs of neatly stacked firewood he has for the backyard fire pit, while talking to his buddies about what a beast that saw was, what a good buy it was, and the oil mixing thing. Saw goes on a shelf in the basement and isn't thought about again for another two years, until the rest of the limb falls. Damn POS saw won't start, what garbage! Used the very best bottle of two stroke mix that Sears/Lowe's/Home Depot had on the shelf, and this is how it repays us! Oh well, go buy another. At least we still have gas in the can from last time.

This is why electrics will rule the homeowner scene soon.

No doubt husky is putting poulan, PP slowly in the grave by putting incredibly bad product out there. Lack luster parts support for the old products. I looked up MTD, remington and (husky owned)zenoah.
I have an old ECHO 280E and recently did a carb kit on a friends used CS330T he recently bought...Makes ECHO/Shindaiwa look better to me all the time. But dealer network is lacking. I saw their 116cc ? saw on their website offering but the local dealer did not even know it existed...
The CS1201? Its not and has never been available in many countries due to emissions, it has "alot" of them.

Imo the mtd saws are much better quality having been inside both poulan and the new mtd zenoah clones.
That's the clone saw I had, 38 cc MTD. Mine had a cylinder that was cast with the strato port, but it was blocked off at the factory with a plastic partition. It only used a regular carb with no second butterfly valve for the strato port. It started easy and ran quite well, especially considering how choked the muffler was.
a good choice for someone who wanted a quiet saw for occasional use around the yard.

A few weeks ago my dad bought a saw that was basically brand new from a young woman, it was given to her as a gift. She was selling it because she couldn't get it started, not even once. My dad went to see the saw, it was a few years old but in new condition. He bought it, took it home, dumped out the gas which didn't seem stale but you always dump out "unfamiliar" premix. The saw seemed flooded but he got it running and it's been perfect.

The saw is a Stihl MS180, he paid $150.

When it comes to the lifespan and condition of a chainsaw, it's 5% the saw itself and 95% the operator. The cheap Poulans die young because they are bought and used by a lot of morons.

Happy Black Friday everyone. Everything is up in price for 2021. Anyone seen an actual deal yet?

Poulan Pro 2021.png

Back