the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a question to the fence post splitters, which end of the log do you drive your wedges in from so the splits break out easier & have an even thickness, or it doesn't make any difference?
Thansk
The small end of a tree and. The big end of a woman.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Thought this would be the best place to ask

Tassie Bluegums as shed posts- can I concrete them into the ground, or do I need to do a concrete footing and mount them to that (i.e. no timber in the ground)?

I've heard locally that blue gum will rot out in no time below the ground, but last forever above the surface. What I've read online suggests that it's fine in the dirt.

To my mind, it would be easier and stronger to drill a hole, put the post in and fill it up with concrete.

Thought this would be the best place to ask

Tassie Bluegums as shed posts- can I concrete them into the ground, or do I need to do a concrete footing and mount them to that (i.e. no timber in the ground)?

I've heard locally that blue gum will rot out in no time below the ground, but last forever above the surface. What I've read online suggests that it's fine in the dirt.

To my mind, it would be easier and stronger to drill a hole, put the post in and fill it up with concrete.

footing or hole with concrete will be fine but not hole and back fill with dirt that will rot out dam quick down here just pop some concrete in the bottom of the hole and put the post down onto that the fill the rest and over fill it a bit and then use that to slop the concrete from the post to the ground so the water will run away from the post and it less will soke in to the timber this will help it to not rot out as quick also.

I wouldn't put the gum in the hole unless you can be sure you can fully protect it, which is a big one even for a construction expert to achieve, unless you get it treated.

Stick a stirrup in the concete pad and bolt the column too it or get the gum treated to an H4 level then stick it in the ground. If you can manage to keep the water away from it and ground water will be the problem then you should get over 20yrs out of it. Untreated lucky to get 5yrs.

I wouldn't put the gum in the hole unless you can be sure you can fully protect it, which is a big one even for a construction expert to achieve, unless you get it treated.

Stick a stirrup in the concete pad and bolt the column too it or get the gum treated to an H4 level then stick it in the ground. If you can manage to keep the water away from it and ground water will be the problem then you should get over 20yrs out of it. Untreated lucky to get 5yrs.

So, if I mount it to the stirrup it should last indefinitely? I'm looking at building a hay shed with 5-6m high walls, so I'd much rather get it right the first time.

Been on a reno for a mate and their BIL mechanic told the in laws he could save them $20k on a proposed 6-bay pole shed build if he did it for them. I have not seen a more retarded new shed build than what the clueless **** has come up with. Chippy, it would make you cringe. He isn't close to finishing but I can't look at it any more because it winds me up.
I was asked just yesterday if I could finish the job off because the tosser doesn't want to. I'm not touching that train wreck.

So, if I mount it to the stirrup it should last indefinitely? I'm looking at building a hay shed with 5-6m high walls, so I'd much rather get it right the first time.

Moisture will get into the bottom of it eventually, creasote painted on the bottom will help with that and termites, but it will last 30+years raw.

Was talking to an old fella and he said to pack your post hole with crusher dust ,apparantly termites won't go near it

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

just back from FNQ trip with dear wife,, i was to bring a mates car back but deal fell tho after booked one way tickets to Cairns so we made a trip out of it.. Been a while since i been Cairns & yes its changed & the tourist trek is well worn trail theres not many places you'll not be next to a German pommy or jap. We did Cape Trib drive its all bitumen now and at end i had to wait for a car park still very pretty but no adventure tis sad and funny see big 4x4 set ups just wasted..

Went to Ravenshoe to look at big forest Toona trees Red cedar was in cake shop wondering why so many about and why Fire brigade suits... it was 2 years since a fool drove for 100 yards hitting shop and gas cylinder bang killing 2

might just plan a trip iv got long service owing.

up and back its a fuggen long way,,, i was hoping to just fly up drive home i still might as yaking to sheila on thrifty counter told me can do one way car hire from cairn back to Brisbane or even Sydney for 9 bucks a day (see term and conditions )

https://www.thrifty.com.au/specials/Onewaycairns.aspx

and then there one way Vans https://www.transfercar.com.au/ much depends of you being able to jump on plane once the ight direction come up

Latest posts

Back