the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bored been sitting off a tree vs power line for 2 hours and no sign of power co yet

The code for climbing says flip line and rope and have a trained chap on ground to assist if need in areal rescue

The reality is you'll not do all this but have planned back up inn place before you go up..

id suggest have 2 flip lines one web/rope & one steel core you can choose which or both on the day beware the heavy end hook / snaps on some lines a great hazard to your face teeth keep this secured while moving and care when setting around a limb..

I not recommend a life line rope yet as guessed your just going up coming down on set but it a next step must once you progress the type size and choice is complex wit so many brands and type my current is green arrow frog http://www.atraes.com.au/tree-climb...t/arrow-frog-117mm-climbing-line#.XH98D2xS_mI

ah power mob just here

bored been sitting off a tree vs power line for 2 hours and no sign of power co yet

The code for climbing says flip line and rope and have a trained chap on ground to assist if need in areal rescue

The reality is you'll not do all this but have planned back up inn place before you go up..

id suggest have 2 flip lines one web/rope & one steel core you can choose which or both on the day beware the heavy end hook / snaps on some lines a great hazard to your face teeth keep this secured while moving and care when setting around a limb..

I not recommend a life line rope yet as guessed your just going up coming down on set but it a next step must once you progress the type size and choice is complex wit so many brands and type my current is green arrow frog http://www.atraes.com.au/tree-climb...t/arrow-frog-117mm-climbing-line#.XH98D2xS_mI

ah power mob just here
Thanks for that. Yeah, just get up there, cut a few limbs on the way up, set the pull line/snatch block, descend, connect to tractor winch line and get cutting/winching. But just read some guys warning against no tie-in and made me think twice, but then I think about all those old-timers climbing and topping spar trees and they had zero back-ups. But then they had a shedload of experience and skill, so I'll just have to try the flip line and spurs and see if I can get the hang of it and feel confident. Other thing is reconnecting ther second fliup line when positioning around limbs on large trees. I can see that being a bit of a mission.

am just gonna have to take the plunge, buy some gear, and see what is easy and wht's going to need way more time and experience to get the hang of.

Once more into the breach...

On another note, took my eldest daughter to the bike shop to get a new helmet today, her old one was getting too small to put on, youngest daughter fits it perfectly, so got an Oneil one with pink stripes, and its grey and charcoal coloured, originally she wanted a red and white one to match the CRF80, but after she saw the grey and pink one, it didnt matter anymore, also got new goggles and gloves too, spent the afternoon tearing around the place on our bikes, as you have to test out your new gear. :) Now we are all relaxed and content. :).
Helped that its not 35 too, everything is so dry out here, I rekon if you farted in the wrong direction you would start a fire at the moment.

Got what looks like a late 036 with low hrs this week, needs a bit of care, but piston is good and overall it looks like it is indeed low hrs.
Will rebuild carb, fuel lines/ filter, impulse and go from there, bar is quite worn, looks like owner didnt know how to sharpen, and ran it dull for quite a bit before taking chain to dealer to be reground ;(, well going by what he said and what I saw, I rekon thats the deal, tho he did run it at 25:1 and the muffler would indicate that is indeed correct.
Its on its original bar, and first chain almost worn out, tho going by how they are ground at some places, maybe its not that much work.
Anyway, good to have another 036, its pretty much my go to saw for 80% of what we cut, after that its the 660's territory, tho still looking for a 046 or 460, I guess patience will reward, or time will just increase the effects of CAD.

Crew got a new 661 last week they luv it I'm yet to give it a go but I used plenty so not a great yearn.
Long weekend here weather looks ok shame no rains yet but shooting sailing maybe some fishing.
Friday nite long weekend daughter 2 did an airport run at 5pm to collect a good mate fly in from usa I did warn her she still Mia..

When the opportunity for a used 660 came up cheap, I thought it would be a good way to see if they were worth it.
Once I got it running, I realised that it was well worth it, how quickly it went thru large rounds, reduced the time out cutting, and or got more cut in a considerably less time than the smaller saws, I couldnt go back :).
Let a farming friend have a go on some redgum 20" in dia, almost buried the 25" bar, and for a while I didnt think he would give it back, now he wants one too.
Yeah, its heavier than the smaller saws, but you only notice that when you pick it up. With how quickly you can cut larger pieces, you dont notice the weight.

I dont need a chainsaw with more power said no man ever. :)

I have to agree that a 661 is a big upgrade from the 72cc saws I’ve previously had. The first saw I ever bought was a 038 magnum secondhand about 19 years ago and it’s still going but probably a bit down on power now. I upgraded to a secondhand 381 about 18 months ago and it seemed to rev a lot harder than the old girl. I had been watching auction sites and wanted to get an ex SES or DEWP saw but they weren’t often much cheaper than eBay prices. I ended up getting a 3 year old 661 off eBay and love it. With a 404 chain on my 20” bar it really digs in and cuts like a hot knife through butter. The 381 got sold last week, was never going to use it much now [emoji1787]

I have to agree that a 661 is a big upgrade from the 72cc saws I’ve previously had. The first saw I ever bought was a 038 magnum secondhand about 19 years ago and it’s still going but probably a bit down on power now. I upgraded to a secondhand 381 about 18 months ago and it seemed to rev a lot harder than the old girl. I had been watching auction sites and wanted to get an ex SES or DEWP saw but they weren’t often much cheaper than eBay prices. I ended up getting a 3 year old 661 off eBay and love it. With a 404 chain on my 20” bar it really digs in and cuts like a hot knife through butter. The 381 got sold last week, was never going to use it much now [emoji1787]

welcome ( if we not already said it ) Ando 404 chain 20inch bar on 661 very nice..

gun club yesterday spent hours helping the audio engineer lassy testing the DB muzzle blast out of the new sound shelter

thumbnail_IMG_20190309_121342.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190309_125137.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190309_121253.jpg

Thanks for the welcome, just out of interest can you tell us suburb of the gun club and what the limits of dB are allowed? Hopefully you can get it sorted to keep all parties happy.

Thanks for the welcome, just out of interest can you tell us suburb of the gun club and what the limits of dB are allowed? Hopefully you can get it sorted to keep all parties happy.

Lang lang Victoria was a small rural town but the developer found the cheap land vs the club that been here since 1898..
i know the Db limit target but its a bit political so will keep till the full audio report made public..
( i just edit some my last to avoid any ops er hmm)

https://langlangrifleclub.com.au/

https://langlangrifleclub.com.au/re-development

fuggen bull ants nest in me wood pile,,, Im sawin up logs and grab a bit & wack on me thumb to realize im standing on a unhappy nest...

Sailing today was more fun and the crew must mention in dispatches to command the well racked fine lassy at the tavern -inn her gallant & meritorious action in the face of the enemy, well done that girl :)

thumbnail_IMG_20190311_093932.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20190311_095703.jpg

Been eyeing off some timber tongs, log grabbers whatever you want to call them, all the comments on those who got them were they started with smaller ones and then got larger ones, and they soon got two of the larger ones, and their only regret was not getting them sooner, so I ordered 2 30cm husky timber tongs.
Didnt take long to arrive and they certainly do make moving cut rounds up to 30cm long very easy, just lower them onto the log, the jaws open once they touch the log, and then lift when you need to, and up comes the bit of timber, even on smooth hard dried out gum they grip easily.
Previously, to pick up say a cut round 30cm long, and wider in its dia, would take 2 hands to get it up off the ground, and you had to lean right over, using the timber tongs, they are easily picked up one handed, and you dont have to bend down so far, and moving branches is much easier too.
I like the fact that I can lift bits of wood off the ground without having my hands going under them, quite appealing when there are snakes about.

Still working on the correct technique to flick and drop the timber, but getting better. Or just place log down, and the jaws open, slight twist of wrist and your off to get the next bit.

Gave them a quick lanotec over the pivot points and they work really well. Eldest daughter also liked them, and has claimed one as her own already, wifey is also impressed, and as she will be one of the main users of them, sees them as a valuable addition to our not so modern lifestyle.

edited for typos

husqtimbertongs.jpg

I got my 661 all cleaned and sharpened for my next wood hunting trip. I’ve put a skip tooth chain on my Jonsered 2165 for ripping the big rounds into manageable pieces. The 661 does the cutting and little Jon can do the ripping [emoji1303] I found some grey box in the local firewood collection area that’s about 30” diameter so it’s too heavy to lift rounds into my ute and trailer [emoji23]

Have just priced up 200m of approx 13mm 12-strand dyneema rope with a breaking strain over 16t.
$8/m.
I'm told that's a great price but FFS I'm a tree hack not a millionaire.

cheers. General 8mm dyneema winch ropes are significantly cheaper but it's just not strong enough in the long run.

I'm starting to think I should just go with steel cable and find ways to use synthetic terminations etc so I can still cut it to stop my tractor being flung down a gully, etc.

Cool mustang, I love the 2 door falcon behind the mighty boy [emoji1305][emoji7]

yeah nice mix of rides tonite if they post a montage of the pictures i post t up

at club today working on bang vs Db & fixing up all the stuffed things after range revamp & we're still not close to required noise levels dunno how its going play out
thumbnail_IMG_20190316_123438.jpg

Latest posts

Back