the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im very envious of your gear box skills the very idea gives me the willies and,,,, why is always 3 gear that strips the syncro

Well I went back today to have a look at the progress the chap is making on his landy, he had his son and grandson were there to help put the top back on and put the floor and seats back in too.
just before i was going to head over, I got a phone call, " Um do you have some small sockets, we dont have any out here, and cant get the speedo drive cable bolt back in".

ok define small, 1/4 or less ?
Anyway took over 1/4" socket set, figured I would cover all bases, and Youngest daughter and I headed out for a daddy daughter trip, and she was interested in seeing what I had been up to and the car I had been working on.
Whilst out there, I took my glasses with me and was able to have a closer look at the 3rd/4th syncro assy, and on the inner dog teeth, I found 1/3 of them were worn quite badly, but the other 2/3 was fine.
Clearly I had not looked close enough at it, when I did look at it, I must have only seen the good side, and thus naturally thought the rest of them were the same, but they were not.

happy now I have found something wrong, and the cause for slipping out of gear on over run, and confident that it will now work well for him.

Was about 8 deg in the shed between passing showers, quite a cool day indeed.
Was a fun moment explaining to my daughter aged 9, with the old parts on the bench, how the syncro assy and gears worked, and she was actually interested and impressed. I will enjoy it whilst it lasts :)

i got my 80 series box reco'd about 6 month ago & it only done about 4500 clicks ( sunday car ) but the 3 gear syncor already playing up on the down shift,, im tad disappointed & may need to query the chap who rebuilt it but its not that bad so not too annoyed yet and to be fair the car was used past 4 months to teach son how to drive a stick shift as getting his truck licence so it prolly suffered..

cold wet rain today cleaned out a corner of garage to the at 1st dismay of dear swmbo tho she warmed to it when saw the results..

i mowed 75m strip of paddock to stretch out the bow arrow tomoz as any long grass hides your arrows easy

I recently rebuilt my Landcruiser box, issue was much more obvious, I had removed the teeth from 3rd gear.

Had just bought the old hilux ute, and was just putting some hrs and miles on it, and this happened quite some distance from home.
Managed to get back home in 4th, but by then, the spare parts had pretty much finished the rest of the box.

Previous owners had clearly been using 5th gear under 80ks, and loaded it up to the point where the bearing for the 5th gear had had so much pressure put on it, that it had worn into the mainshaft causing so much movement, that eventually, the gear rocked enough to stress shear a tooth or 4 as the load was placed on the teeth well away from where they are designed to take load, thus failure.

So dont tow in 5th, and only engage 5th over 80ks, dont say I didnt warn you.

Re the bar, do you think it still should be less nose down, ie lighter, or is it good where it is ? I would imagine its far better than with the previous bar that had more nose down weight.

5geardamage.jpgcountershaftwear.jpg

i got my 80 series box reco'd about 6 month ago & it only done about 4500 clicks ( sunday car ) but the 3 gear syncor already playing up on the down shift,, im tad disappointed & may need to query the chap who rebuilt it but its not that bad so not too annoyed yet and to be fair the car was used past 4 months to teach son how to drive a stick shift as getting his truck licence so it prolly suffered..

cold wet rain today cleaned out a corner of garage to the at 1st dismay of dear swmbo tho she warmed to it when saw the results..

i mowed 75m strip of paddock to stretch out the bow arrow tomoz as any long grass hides your arrows easy
My 80 series did the exact same thing, rebuilt it with $2k worth of syncros and 5000ks later it's up to its old tricks again.

Latest posts

Back