the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at buying a 7900 when I bought my 660 but the HD filter was like $260 locally which made it not much cheaper overall than the 660. (yes I know they are like $75 if you get them from the us but I just wanted to buy a saw ready to go.) I am quite interested in the solo 658 to replace an 034 but at 1200 here in oz it will have to wait. Would get one from the states but I don't have the contacts over there to be able to.

Yeah, the price for the HD filter here is a joke, as are most spares.

OK, it's a complete new bottom plate housing, top housing, etc, etc but the RRP here for the Dolamr HD filter kit is crazy.

Before I ordered my HD filter kit from Kyle @ Edge & Engine I emailed Makita here and at the time they were on the boat from Germany and about to land and they advised me the RRP.
I told them they needed to sharpen their pencils and that I was buying most all my small parts from the US already.
I get the impression that Makita Oz really aren't interested in OPE from my dealings with them directly and the nearest dealer who also handles Husky, and pushes them in preference to Dolmar/Makita.
Apparently the nearest dealer moved a lot of Dolmar saws in the eighties, but Husky really come to the party in terms of advertising these days and there could be a fair old difference I margins too.

one of the biggest reasons i got the 7901 over a 460 was price, i wanted a decent powerful saw but couldnt justify spending near on 2k for a saw that more or less is only used for camping and track clearing while out in the fourby, as ahs been mentioned though the dealers have nfi about parts for them my local dealer who is also our stihl dealer couldnt even give me a price on a replacement bar ffs, and 2 weeks later when he did it was a makita branded bar and redicusly priced(he didnt even know that they took a husky mount bar, husky guy across the road was no better), but this guy also likes to charge about 65cents per dl for chain.

i actually found the fact anyone with a makita account can get there saws really handy as it let me get it through the guys at my local total tools who i get my trade tools from(and which is right next door to the makita/stihl ope guy)for about $200 under the makita sale price the ope guy had at the time

Geeze guys, I get nearly all my spare parts out of the US (or Germany). I want to be loyal to the local dealers but I am sick of being bent over the counter. I can order parts from the US and receive them faster than if I go to the dealer down the road - and save $$$ too.

I have a few Dolmars but only one current saw, a 9010. It is slower than others in its range but is a nice saw to use. I must say my 395 gets more use though.

P4140767-1.jpg

I really like using my big Stihls though. Heavy and slow but great fun.

PA290757.jpg

This one is Ugly Betty but is a good runner.

P4220633.jpg

This old girl only gets a run when the others are blunt:

1534.jpg

And I use this one for old times sake but it is hell on my hands.

1545.jpg

Thanks for starting up an Oz thread.

Al.

one of the biggest reasons i got the 7901 over a 460 was price, i wanted a decent powerful saw but couldnt justify spending near on 2k for a saw that more or less is only used for camping and track clearing while out in the fourby, as ahs been mentioned though the dealers have nfi about parts for them my local dealer who is also our stihl dealer couldnt even give me a price on a replacement bar ffs, and 2 weeks later when he did it was a makita branded bar and redicusly priced(he didnt even know that they took a husky mount bar, husky guy across the road was no better), but this guy also likes to charge about 65cents per dl for chain.

i actually found the fact anyone with a makita account can get there saws really handy as it let me get it through the guys at my local total tools who i get my trade tools from(and which is right next door to the makita/stihl ope guy)for about $200 under the makita sale price the ope guy had at the time

thing that turns me off them is the fact that mitre 10 or Dahlsens or total tools or the like are the dealers for them and they sell the mcchulloch and chinese crap saws and really have no idea about servicing a saw. At the time the biggest they stocked was about 35cc and none of the real dealers who service saws carried any of them. at least oleo mac and solo and shindaiwa don't try to sell through the hardware chains and stick to dealers who service them.

i see your point but can also say ive never seen any of the pro saws in mitre10, bunnies, total tools etc. they only ever have the small 30-40 cc home owner models. i had to get them to order in the 7901

i see your point but can also say ive never seen any of the pro saws in mitre10, bunnies, total tools etc. they only ever have the small 30-40 cc home owner models. i had to get them to order in the 7901
thats what I am saying and none of the real dealers would even touch them, still don't for that matter.

thats what I am saying and none of the real dealers would even touch them, still don't for that matter.

actually i think our makita/stihl ope guy hsa the small ones as well, but most sales here would be home owners. ill drop in there over the weekend and have a look

Ok you lot do you know any Stihl dealers around that can do better prices than this.

880 with 36'' ES bar and chain in 3/8 $2290
460 with 20'' ES bar and chain $1475
2 x 261s with 16'' bar and chain $1090 ea

We were short of some smaller pieces of wood a week or so back, so I raced outside and split some in my Uggies.

It was dark, I was relaxed, I was a bit slack, a bit complacent and very, very casual in my half arsed swing.....

...and I missed.

Friiging miles too close for comfort.
Luckily the foot instinctively swung away during the follow through.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Geeze guys, I get nearly all my spare parts out of the US (or Germany). I want to be loyal to the local dealers but I am sick of being bent over the counter. I can order parts from the US and receive them faster than if I go to the dealer down the road - and save $$$ too.

I have a few Dolmars but only one current saw, a 9010. It is slower than others in its range but is a nice saw to use. I must say my 395 gets more use though.

P4140767-1.jpg

I really like using my big Stihls though. Heavy and slow but great fun.

PA290757.jpg

This one is Ugly Betty but is a good runner.

Great pics Al.

P4220633.jpg

This old girl only gets a run when the others are blunt:

1534.jpg

And I use this one for old times sake but it is hell on my hands.

1545.jpg

Thanks for starting up an Oz thread.

Al.

Great pics Al.

We were short of some smaller pieces of wood a week or so back, so I raced outside and split some in my Uggies.

It was dark, I was relaxed, I was a bit slack, a bit complacent and very, very casual in my half arsed swing.....

...and I missed.

Friiging miles too close for comfort.
Luckily the foot instinctively swung away during the follow through.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wood have been "uggier" if you had off collected there Rick!

Billy, best out of the box for a track clearing saw. Not big and plenty of power for the larger logs. Have recommended them to 4wder's in the past.
:msp_thumbsup:

Back