the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dropped a few trees the other day, and tried to get some mowing done, so this weekend is rest time, and ive been watching Bathurst since the 70s, have since 85 recorded in vhs :).

agree, find the adds tiresome, and of recent years the coverage is woeful, especially the highlights late at night, hopeless.
Loved my motorsport, enjoy watching the practice, seeing the cars set up evolve as the track changes etc.
Will watch again this year, last for Holden, so its another milestone, enjoy the work, time and effort the teams put in to field cars on the grid, and will enjoy the race for what it is.

Pity that commercial interests have ruined and taken much of the joy and fun out of the telecast.
Dont really care who wins, as long as its a clean race, (unlike last year), as they all deserve to win just by being on the grid.

Anyway, the gum tree had 2 main leaders, about 50ft each, that had both grown over a previously cut stump, one heavily leaning 20+ deg out towards the house area.
That one was only 25" dia waist height, cut and set tapered hinge, had already put rope 40ft up and taken some slack, but not enough to break hinge.
set wedges, and then went over and it only took a small amount of pressure by walking the line out 90deg to the tree/ vehicle anchor point to bring it down right between 2 trees.
Felling direction was 90deg to its lean.

Second part of tree 30+in dia with weak points from its growth over the stump, and that went down easily as well, set notch, and hinge, wedges in place, put saw down, and walked back, and a few hits and down it came, easy as it had most of its weight on the side where we wanted it to fall.

Ok, time to have a coffee and watch the start of the race.

went over and it only took a small amount of pressure by walking the line out 90deg to the tree/ vehicle anchor point to bring it down right between 2 trees.

nice work, yeah side pulling a secured main line can be safer and adds energy by ratio to the task hooks law dont ask me just watch the vid

nice work, yeah side pulling a secured main line can be safer and adds energy by ratio to the task hooks law dont ask me just watch the vid

8:10 in is pretty much how I went about it, but the side pull was just the two of us, but could have easily been done with one, it was all about control and safety being away from the tree.

Set the face cut, and hinge pointing 2 o clock, as well as the pull of the line at just under 2 o clock, direction of lean is 6 o clock, desired fall is at 3 o clock.
cut tapered hinge, and left it quite thick, mainly as I didnt want to get too greedy and have the tree sit down and pinch the bar on the lean side and I wanted to get it to move as much as possible before the hinge wood let go.
Considered doing a part dutchman so the lean side would close first and push up to help with the direction, but went with a good back cut instead, set with wedges.
Some pre tension with a prussic and pulley back to the portwrap again, and tied off, then apply side tension to 12 o clock, tree moves initially towards 2 o clock position due to hinge and rope pull, and gravity takes over, and it falls now to 3 o clock.

Gave it some thought, took my time to set it up correctly, and figured that is where it would end up.
As it was gum, and no real hinge control like on a pine I figured I was close with the calculations, and it worked out well.

used the 461 with 25".

Doggie sure is growing quick, they would have played endlessly if you did not call time on it.
The maggies around here have stopped swooping too.

gosh was it a year since then, where does the time go ?
That was a fun day, pity you had to head off back home so quick, but we totally understood, would have been a fun time catching up after tho.
Hows Mother in Law doing now ?

heck trains a year ago i was over your way kapunda for climb comp blodyg heck goes fast eh

yay we been give 25 click to travel i can go fishing and catch up some mates no shooting yet be month or so i guess

Been feeling for you lot locked down still it no good of ones mental health glad you been keeping busy with stuff and dam your getting good with that bow.

so i got a needle jab of cortisone in my sore foot tendon today yeah a bit discomfort like pain but 100% bearable if it cures or controls the irritation that is the inflammation Im told to rest foot for day so no footy tomoz,, fingers toes crossed will let ya know

Ive got a couple of atom drill attachments, but find the brace and bit just as quick and easy with a correctly sharpened auger on it.
Like Derwoodii said, go battery powered now, the tech has come far enough that tools work now as I expected them to 30 years ago.

hey hows the foot going ?

Latest posts

Back