The Authentic Skull Bucket is back in full production!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are actually a lot closer than you might think. With the capital investment required to make this happen we will have to study the potential return on investment before we can move forward. I'm just not sure the market could bare what it would cost to purchase a made in the USA version. I will never give up on this quest, I promise you!

I don't doubt you; at all.

We as a country must go back to buying what we manufacture as Consumers.

No Chris

I wouldn't care how much it would cost, I would buy a new American made tin hat as soon as it was availible.

I buy American and shop local every opportunity I have. It's worth the extra cost to me to keep the money in the community and supporting American workers. We need more industry here not less.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My current SB was made 09/06 and I have come to hate it. The shell is fine but the suspension is horrible. First off it always, always, falls out of the shell. Second and worse are the attachment tabs. They are so large that they don't fit between the shell and my head without causing pain. Third, the chin strap with its plastic buckle and adjustment slider can't be made to stay up on the brim. In addition the chin strap is attached to the plastic suspension by an approximately 1/8" diameter PLASTIC pin. An old Mac-T suspension solves most of these issue.

Bill, just thumb-tack that damn thing to the sides of your head, maybe put a couple through the sweat band as well. You're tough, you can do it. :laugh:

I wouldn't care how much it would cost, I would buy a new American made tin hat as soon as it was availible.

I buy American and shop local every opportunity I have. It's worth the extra cost to me to keep the money in the community and supporting American workers. We need more industry here not less.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
From what I've been reading about China, is they are in a down turn in their economy. Who knows , we may be forced to return to producing our own goods again in the not so distant future.

I just got my hands on a new Skull Bucket shell and suspension. Here are my first impressions.

1) the new suspension clips are worlds better than any of the previous generations. They are thicker and stiffer and just generally fit better.
2) the overall feel of the hat is stiffer but no heavier.
3) the new suspension ratchets smoothly, fits well, and doesn't fall off.

I don't yet have a full day in it so this is a very preliminary review and I'll amend it as necessary, but in general I can say confidently that this is an improvement in just about every way I can measure over my old favorite. Thanks, Skull Bucket!

My SB just arrived, so here are my first impressions:

The out of the box comfort is outstanding. The brow pad is easily removable / replaceable. That's a nice step up from the MSA suspension where one has to cut/trim the uncomfortable brow pad off to install something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Weldas-20-320...904273&sr=8-1&keywords=sweat+pad+for+hard+hat

The suspension connects properly to the helmet and is every bit as good as my MSA. My hardhat arrived with half the clips attached. I would recommend not pre-attaching the suspension at all, so that it must be done properly.

I like the weight of this hard hat. Nice and light.

I don't like the interior label. It doesn't stick down all the way and my hair ends up sticking to it some. No biggie, but the date code is attached to the warning label, so if I take the label out, I'm non-compliant on a job site with health and safety nannies.

If anyone is in the market, the best deal is at Tasco. I went elsewhere because Tasco didn't list stock when I thought to order.

So, there you go. A review from a poser that works in an office for a living.

My SB just arrived, so here are my first impressions:

The out of the box comfort is outstanding. The brow pad is easily removable / replaceable. That's a nice step up from the MSA suspension where one has to cut/trim the uncomfortable brow pad off to install something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Weldas-20-320...904273&sr=8-1&keywords=sweat+pad+for+hard+hat

The suspension connects properly to the helmet and is every bit as good as my MSA. My hardhat arrived with half the clips attached. I would recommend not pre-attaching the suspension at all, so that it must be done properly.

I like the weight of this hard hat. Nice and light.

I don't like the interior label. It doesn't stick down all the way and my hair ends up sticking to it some. No biggie, but the date code is attached to the warning label, so if I take the label out, I'm non-compliant on a job site with health and safety nannies.

If anyone is in the market, the best deal is at Tasco. I went elsewhere because Tasco didn't list stock when I thought to order.

So, there you go. A review from a poser that works in an office for a living.
Thanks for the review. We are glad that you are overall very happy with your new Skull Bucket.

"My hardhat arrived with half the clips attached" Are you saying when it was packaged the suspension was already, partially, attached to the hard hat? I will visit with Gary to see why they would do this. We ship them in case quantity with each suspensions in a separate bag that contains the owners manual and warranty registration card. The suspension should not have been attached. Did you receive the owners manual and warranty registration card?

I am trying to design two separate labels that have the required information on them in an effort to make two smaller labels. It's difficult to get all the required information, in the size required by ANSI on one label. We will take these reviews as corrective criticism and work to improve on our products.

How about a helmet for felling? Ear pro and face shield attached.
We are working on this as well. The cap style Skull Bucket needs some work before I would bring it back on the market. This is why we are not producing the cap style currently. I would like to find a way to incorporate hearing and face protection into the full brim design as well as the cap style.

I like the full brim, it keeps sun and rain off my neck.

I hadn't worn my helmet at the processor, but not long ago a 4" sliver shot off the chain and when into my cheek almost an inch, just under my eye.

You guys go to our website and join the "Bucket List". It's the mail icon on the right hand side of the home page. We send out periodic updates and new product reveals like the new "Bucket-Strap" suspension.

Thanks for the review. We are glad that you are overall very happy with your new Skull Bucket.

"My hardhat arrived with half the clips attached" Are you saying when it was packaged the suspension was already, partially, attached to the hard hat? I will visit with Gary to see why they would do this. We ship them in case quantity with each suspensions in a separate bag that contains the owners manual and warranty registration card. The suspension should not have been attached. Did you receive the owners manual and warranty registration card?
Yes, two out of four clips were attached.

No owners manual. No warranty registration. Just a helmet in a box. I think they were a bit miffed with me. I'm not their core clientele, so I'm sure it's a little irritating to deal with someone like me, who is a small, likely one-time customer.
I am trying to design two separate labels that have the required information on them in an effort to make two smaller labels. It's difficult to get all the required information, in the size required by ANSI on one label. We will take these reviews as corrective criticism and work to improve on our products.
That one is a nitpick, to be sure. I only brought it up because I can see people pulling the label, then getting popped on a strict job site. Even a big, heavy metal stamped two-digit year on the rear brim would do the job. It doesn't matter if it's pretty.

All that above nonsense aside, comfort is king, and your hat is a solid winner on that account. Thanks for making a great product!

No owners manual. No warranty registration. Just a helmet in a box. I think they were a bit miffed with me. I'm not their core clientele, so I'm sure it's a little irritating to deal with someone like me, who is a small, likely one-time customer.

That one is a nitpick, to be sure. I only brought it up because I can see people pulling the label, then getting popped on a strict job site. Even a big, heavy metal stamped two-digit year on the rear brim would do the job. It doesn't matter if it's pretty.

All that above nonsense aside, comfort is king, and your hat is a solid winner on that account. Thanks for making a great product!
Send me a message with your mailing address and I'll send you an owners manual and warranty registration card. We need to keep your information on file in the case you ever have trouble with your hat. You can also register the warranty on our website.

I've worked construction 18 years. We've been OSHA inspected at the shop and in the field more times than I can remember. In all those years I have never been asked to remove any PPE for inspection. The goons are looking for complete systems in place and everyone being compliant. Are you wearing a harness, are you wearing glasses, do you have a retrieval plan in place, has that tie off point been signed on by an engineer, etc.

I'm not saying you don't have a valid point about the nanny state of OSHA, but from my end that particular worry isn't warranted. There's a lot of old lids with a lot of old hands who would agree.

I've worked construction 18 years. We've been OSHA inspected at the shop and in the field more times than I can remember. In all those years I have never been asked to remove any PPE for inspection. The goons are looking for complete systems in place and everyone being compliant. Are you wearing a harness, are you wearing glasses, do you have a retrieval plan in place, has that tie off point been signed on by an engineer, etc.

I'm not saying you don't have a valid point about the nanny state of OSHA, but from my end that particular worry isn't warranted. There's a lot of old lids with a lot of old hands who would agree.

At any practical commercial job site in the US, I fully agree there would be no issue. Working for the government, or abroad, I'm always amazed at what people have time to make issues out of.

Back