The Authentic Skull Bucket is back in full production!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At any practical commercial job site in the US, I fully agree there would be no issue. Working for the government, or abroad, you'd be amazed at what people have time to make issues out of.
I don't know how similar my work is to yours, but we've done a lot of COE jobs as well as public works jobs on military bases. Yes, they're looking at you under a magnifying glass, but as long as you play by the rules and comply when asked, they're just another pecker gnat.

I don't know how similar my work is to yours, but we've done a lot of COE jobs as well as public works jobs on military bases. Yes, they're looking at you under a magnifying glass, but as long as you play by the rules and comply when asked, they're just another pecker gnat.

The only differences between you and me is that you likely produce useful work and have actual job skills. I'm the pecker gnat. :)

The only differences between you and me is that you likely produce useful work and have actual job skills. I'm the pecker gnat.
No, I don't want to come off like that man! We each have jobs, and it takes the office and the field.

I was just trying to shed a little light on what we actually experience, in construction . I've derailed this thread enough.

Great looking hard hats, I'd love one but I work aluminum and like throwing my plastic lid, dents don't just come outta aluminum. Good luck with your product!

I work aluminum and like throwing my plastic lid, dents don't just come outta aluminum.

This is one of the biggest reasons why I prefer an aluminum helmet -- it shows its damage. Plastic and fiberglass both hide it, so you have to pitch the hat after every good hit under the assumption that it's damaged invisibly and internally. Also, aluminum isn't significantly embrittled by UV light.

Bailey's Doesn't carry them anymore; I'm not saying that's bad or good.

Amazon is out of stock, with no idea on if or when they will be back in stock.

Tasco-Safety.com is a pain to navigate, both on mobile and on computer: I had to repeat the checkout sequence 5 times to complete my order.

I recommend aligning with additional distributors: it's cool that you are going thru home state companies, but it's also painful.

Have you considered WesSpur, Madsen's or SherrillTree?

Tasco-Safety.com is a pain to navigate, both on mobile and on computer: I had to repeat the checkout sequence 5 times to complete my order.

I recommend aligning with additional distributors: it's cool that you are going thru home state companies, but it's also painful.

Thanks for your input hsell

Bailey's was not interested in carrying the authentic Skull Bucket when I contacted them, stating that they would be staying with the aluminum hard hats that they were currently stocking. As with the other few who have indicated the same thing, we will work with them in the future should they decide to carry our products.

Amazon is now carrying the full line of Skull Bucket aluminum hard hats. They can be found here http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=original+skullbucket

I will speak with TASCO-Safety concerning your issues in ordering. I am sure they would appreciate the input to correct the issue on their end.

WesSpur has contacted us and has the paperwork to get setup. They have not placed a stocking order as of today. I expect them to bring in some hats very soon. Madsen's, like Bailey's was not interested when I contacted them. As stated above we will work with them in the future should they decide to carry our products. I have SherrillTree, along with others, on my list to contact today. Cowlitz, Service Saw, Harbor Saw, Woods Logging Supply and Idaho Rigging are all authorized retail locations. We will continue to expand our dealer network as we receive and evaluate dealer applications. It's folks like yourself demanding the authentic Skull Bucket brand that will help us expand across the country. Thank you for your support.

WesSpur is now a full line Skull Bucket dealer and has received their stocking order.

Ive experienced some of what others here are describing. I guess my issue with SB lids is how flimsy they feel compared to a mac t. I was wearing one for my last clock cleaning 2 or 3 yrs ago. The aluminum compromised before the suspension did, (only one tab broke.) I ended up with 5 staples & a sore neck. The subsiquent SB was on par with the old one, so I found a mint mac t. The T is a little heavier, but not nearly as tinny as the SB, in my meager opinion. If I had that hat here, I'd put it up for everyones vewing pleasure..

I've got a few hours in the SB, and I have to say it is really, really comfortable. It's feather light compared to my fiberglass hat and much cooler.

I honestly don't know, or care why, but they really are much cooler.

Ive experienced some of what others here are describing. I guess my issue with SB lids is how flimsy they feel compared to a mac t. I was wearing one for my last clock cleaning 2 or 3 yrs ago. The aluminum compromised before the suspension did, (only one tab broke.) I ended up with 5 staples & a sore neck. The subsiquent SB was on par with the old one, so I found a mint mac t. The T is a little heavier, but not nearly as tinny as the SB, in my meager opinion. If I had that hat here, I'd put it up for everyones vewing pleasure..

I searched for a MAC T, but could not locate one, and that's why I bought the SB.

Thank You for the info.

056 kid,

I'm truly sorry that you feel this way about our hard hats. If you have read through this thread you would have seen this in print before now, but I will say it again. Every Skull Bucket aluminum hard hat that leaves our Texas facilities has been independently tested for compliance to the most current version of the ANSI Z89.1 standard (2014). We take this statement very seriously. The authentic Skull Bucket is the only ANSI compliant aluminum hard hat on the market! The design of the Skull Bucket hard hat was to keep the traditional look while increasing the protection already inherently built into aluminum hard hats. The inner plate, ribbed design and curvature promotes deflection of energy upon impact which reduces the severity of injury on impact. The aluminum used in every authentic Skull Bucket hard hats was specifically chosen for its ability to absorb this energy, thus "compromising" the shell to displace the direct impact. We redesigned the suspension system as our first priority when we purchased the company late last year. This was done in an effort to make the Skull Bucket hard hat even better. The Bucket-Strap suspension, supplied with every Skull Bucket hard hat sold, far exceeds the standards of ANSI Z89.1. Wear trials, customer testimonials and personal experience have proven that the Bucket-Strap suspension is not only extremely comfortable to wear, but also provides the protection we demand from our hard hats. We will continue to make improvements. Insight from folks like yourself help drive us in the right direction. We will never settle for good enough, we will continue to bring innovative new products to the market that you guys can rely on.

The information below is a portion of the report we receive when we have products tested by an independent laboratory for compliance to the ISEA/ANSI standards. This is the comparison between our new Bucket-Strap suspension and a swing style suspension sold for use in aluminum hard hats. The Bucket-Strap suspension is the ONLY suspension tested with and therefore approved for use inside a Skull Bucket aluminum hard hat. Based on the test results you can see why we do not approve the use of the swing-style suspension system in our hard hats.

Test Comments: 7.1.2 Force Transmission - Tested in accordance with Section 9.2, Helmets shall not transmit a force to the test head form that exceeds 1,000lb. Additionally the average transmission for each test condition shall not exceed 850 lb.

IMPACT DATA

Helmet ID: Bucket-Strap™ Suspension
Force Transmission (lbs)
1. Ambient 537.39
2. High Temp 563.67
3. Low Temp 593.82
7.1.2 Force Transmission (Bucket-Strap™ Suspension) PASS
Bucket Strap Suspension.jpg

*Photo taken following completion of impact test.

Helmet ID: Swing-Style Suspension
Force Transmission (lbs)
4. High Temp 2590.58 *suspension failure upon impact
5. High Temp 1176.69
6. Low Temp 1146.89
7.1.2 Force Transmission (Swing-Style Suspension) FAIL
Swing-Style suspension.png
*Photo taken following completion of impact test

I liked the swing suspension a LOT. I like the new Bucket-Strap suspension WAY better. This is the best tin hat I've ever worn. As soon as I have the time, I'm gonna write up a comparison of all of them, starting with the old 6-point Mac-T (which I am not old enough to have actually used in the woods but I do have a specimen for comparison, which will prove valuable) and ending with this generation of Skull Buckets. This is an evolutionary product, not a revolutionary one. It builds on both the strengths and weaknesses of previous generations. That's why it's good. I am a fan.

I've been meaning to get a couple for when I have "help" that way they have a hat on if something goes ******, most of the help I get is in the form of a home owner standing around and watching... sometimes I con them into pulling the winch lever, and sometimes I can't talk them out of pulling cable and hooking chokers

Back