The Beginning of My 028 Collection: Birth of the ArboristSite 028 Museum . . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tzed -- That's about the cleanest 028 I've ever seen other than my grandfather's when his was new in '81. I thought my two were clean, but your saw is far better. If I had a saw that clean I would struggle with the desire to work it vs. the pull of keeping it pristine as a shelf queen for collector's purposes.

Adkranger -- You and I both need to get a camera that takes photos as clear and vibrant as Tzed's. My digital camera is ancient by technological standards; it was made about 1999 and still uses a diskette!

I'm now fighting the urge to begin collecting 041s. By the time I got into high school, I knew that Stihl made the 028 and the 041 FarmBoss. Those were the only models I knew of from Stihl back in those days. Trouble is, clean, well-maintained 041s are hard to find on E-Bay, whereas clean 028s come up frequently. Did Stihl just produce so many more 028s or did 041 owners tend to work their saws to death more than the less powerful saws?

028 collection

Howdy, nice saws Vern. Here is my score from an earlier post. Clutch is interrutive type. Also no screen and front vented muffler. Scotch tape on handle is holding the piston bearing until my piston arrives ( ordered on 19th Feb 08 still not here, guy saids he'll send another one. ). "Oh", forgot to mention Verne, i will not part with this one. Lol.

Last edited:
028 collection

those 028's are the epitome of stihl,simple-compact design,tough as nails,sweet powerband and last and last.

Adkranger -- You and I both need to get a camera that takes photos as clear and vibrant as Tzed's. My digital camera is ancient by technological standards; it was made about 1999 and still uses a diskette!

I'm now fighting the urge to begin collecting 041s. By the time I got into high school, I knew that Stihl made the 028 and the 041 FarmBoss. Those were the only models I knew of from Stihl back in those days. Trouble is, clean, well-maintained 041s are hard to find on E-Bay, whereas clean 028s come up frequently. Did Stihl just produce so many more 028s or did 041 owners tend to work their saws to death more than the less powerful saws?

I hear ya.....the wife has the Cadillac of digi-cameras. Might have to steal hers for my future shots, then will have to mess with resizing.

My observations of 041s has been much the same. I have only had oppertunity to get hold of a couple and they were plenty beat up. Wasn't really into the resto thing then though, so I never followed up on 'em. 028 vs 041 conditions.......Not sure why, but if I was forced to guess I'd say it's a numbers thing. I have seen far more 028s than any other model of that vintage. 'Cuz for every nice 028 I've probably seen 10 ratty ones. Though in these parts I see plenty of old 041s too, they seem to be the classic farm saw. 044s will be the "old" ones laying all over the place in the future.................

Back