The BEST homeowner chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another one for the 350

The Husky is called the Rancher not the Farmboss.

I posted this on another thread but it fits here too.

I spent many hours on this sight and going to dealers. I am a homeowner and wanted a saw that could handle most jobs. The Husky 350 fit the bill. It has the least vibration of any of the saws you are looking at. That makes a big difference when you have lots to do. It starts every time and is easy to maintain.

I work for a Swedish company and on one of my last trips I asked the guys there about the 350. They told me it works great even when misused. It is one of the lightest easy to use in it class. It is basically the same as the 353 except the 353 has the magnisium jug.

Save the extra money you save when buying the 350 and get some chaps, wedges, case, helmet with ear muffs and face shield. You will not be sorry to own a great piece of Swedish engineering. (Yes the 350 is made in Sweden)

The guys on here have great knowledge and experience. However, they will have you buying enough equipment to be a logger in no time.

MS250 or MS290. Will do anything a homeowner would want. Very reliable.

I'd have to agree. Although there are many options in this segment of chainsaws, dealer support is a key consideration when making your decision. At the end of the day, you certainly cannot go wrong with a pro saw, however, it is all to easy to buy more than what you need. If you're truly an occasional / homeowner user...the recommendation above would suit you well. If I were considering the 290, I would most likely go ahead and go with the 390 due to increased displacement and the same weight of these two saws. You've been offered some very good options in this thread...all saws mentioned would get the job done. Good luck in your purchase!

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

Remember

I'd have to agree. Although there are many options in this segment of chainsaws, dealer support is a key consideration when making your decision. At the end of the day, you certainly cannot go wrong with a pro saw, however, it is all to easy to buy more than what you need. If you're truly an occasional / homeowner user...the recommendation above would suit you well. If I were considering the 290, I would most likely go ahead and go with the 390 due to increased displacement and the same weight of these two saws. You've been offered some very good options in this thread...all saws mentioned would get the job done. Good luck in your purchase!

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

And remember there is no replacement for displacement!!!

If you don't mind me adding to this, i'm looking myself for a saw and the 350 looks like a great deal...what makes the 353 $50 more having .1 HP more and .4lbs heavier? I'm hoping someone can edjucate me on this cuz the 350 looks better and better everytime I walk through Lowe's :)

350 at Lowe's

I think the Husky 350 at Lowe's is a good deal also. Firewood and general use on your property for $350. People might not want to buy from a box store but at least Lowe's does stock chaps, and the Husky brand helmets with the face shield and hearing protection.
I would get the 350 over the 455 Rancher, also at Lowe's if it were me.
For comparison, you can also get a saw at the Stihl dealer for around $350, they'll have the same safety gear as well, if you didn't want to get a saw at Lowe's.
But I agree with you on the 350 being an appealing saw to purchase......when you happen to be in Lowe's, you gotta take a look at the saw isle. :chainsaw:

have fun shopping for your new saw.

Mitch

I went into Lowe's today..........

and came out with a stinkin box of trash bags :confused: I did fondle the 350 again.....I think it's the one for me right now...just gonna look for a good price. While on topic of "best homeowner saw" as far as the 350 is concerned with no motor mods or exhaust, what's the best chain setup for a 16 or 18" bar? What about the stock bar...as good as any aftermarket or better...or worse. I need to know this cuz in a few weeks there WILL be something orange in the garage. :)

I've run the pee waddin out of mine with an 18", been really happy with that setup, if you want to cut a bit faster, step down to the 16", I like the little extra reach. Keep .325 chain on it and it will be happy either way.

Ive got a stihl 290 and its a great saw. I got it as a ground saw for limbing trees so as to not have to use my 460 for this job. Ive ended up using the 290 alot more that what Id originally intended. It has quite a bit of power. I know when it craps out, Ill replace it.

I also recently purchased an Echo 370. Not a bad little saw. It is now my groundie saw for limbing; my 290 is a small felling saw; my 460 is my large felling saw.

I think a 290 would be a great choice. These can be found on Ebay for a fair price.

Husqvarna Hands down

I have owned a Husqvarna 359 e-tech for several years. It is a beast. I have used it to fall some large oaks, maples and hickorys and it powers through even the toughest knot wood. The 359 is indeed a pro saw and offers a lot of bang for the buck. I know a lot of pro loggers use husqvarna saws and swear by them .

I was in the same situation last year, can't remember how many times I fondled the 350 as well. After searching and searching and looking at how I could spend $20 or $30 more to keep stepping up in size/power/bar length and I would always end up with 20cc's more and $150-200 more than I wanted to spend....call it the bug.

I ended up with the Husky 340. Why not the 350, cuz the price was right, just a tad lighter, and I will probably either keep the 16" bar or go with a 14 for limbing when I eventually get the 372xp :)

Two saws is practically essential but needless to say one will do for the homeowner. I was skeptical on the 340 at first but it has exceeded my expectations and is plenty powerful for a homeowner saw. After about 1 hour limbing those ounces turn into pounds and your arms will thank you.

FYI, I have a Husky Rancher 55. I've had it for ten years and only this year did I have to do some work on it. I cut about 4 - 5 cords of firewood a year. I used it to help clear my lot. I love the saw and it's reasonably priced.

Latest posts

Back