• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

The best way to camp in the winter!!!

Sizzle-Chest

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
i know the worst way . . . sleeping in an old ice cave thats melting and overnight you're sleeping bag fills up with icy water and you shiver so much you think your going to die but somehow you make it through the night only to end up catching phenomia. well, worst for me i guess, maybe other people dig that.

NIP Group
Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
My folks place, Humbug Valley, Plumas, Co. California. 20 miles from Chester, Ca. and is only excess able in the winter by snowmobile or snowcat. Pelton wheel power use to run the house and barn/shop.(Generator now) Had a complete machine shop off the barn, and a boiler for steam heat in the shop. It's called the Miller Mansion, and was built by the Miller family of Greenville, Ca. in 1906. There were two Hotels below the house and both burned down, one before the house was built and the other afterwards. The Humbug road was the stage route between Chico Ca. and Susanville Ca. Later, Red River Lumber Co. built a track on the road and hauled logs by rail from Humbug Valley to Westwood Ca., about a 40mile trip.

Old Monkey

Old Monkey

Addicted to ArboristSite
kf_tree - You guys looking for the abominable snowman or something?

Sizzle - Not much of a market for those dilithium crystals now but you just wait four or five hundred years and...

Darin - Cool "cabin." You guys build it or buy it?

Cahoon - My Mom grew up in a place called Union Hill in Plumas County. Her family neglected to pay the fifty or so bucks a year to the Forest Service and the F.S. bulldozed their homes. No one was living there anymore, but they would have been awesome summer cabins. The reservoir my great great grandpa built is still there and perhaps a few boards and some broken glass.

Dennis Cahoon

Dennis Cahoon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
Old Monkey said:
Cahoon - My Mom grew up in a place called Union Hill in Plumas County. Her family neglected to pay the fifty or so bucks a year to the Forest Service and the F.S. bulldozed their homes. No one was living there anymore, but they would have been awesome summer cabins. The reservoir my great great grandpa built is still there and perhaps a few boards and some broken glass.
Old Monkey....not sure where that's at. What bigger town was Union Hill close to? Were they miners? if so maybe Quincy, or LaPort?

Yeah, the Forest Service bulldozed quite a few places in the 80's. I have friends that had a big place (for over 30 years)at Butt Lake (Plumas, Co.) that fought in court for a long time and finally lost out. There place was on a mining claim and they lived there all year-round. The whole place was built with big hand cut timbers. They made an Alaskan type saw mill set-up on a two man Mac 99 to cut most of the beams, but some were hand hewn, plus, had a water tank for fire control that would flood the roof if it was needed. They built it in the early 60's and it was a very beautiful place. The F.S. let them salvage what they wanted and then burned what was left.